the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Back in the '70's when money was scarce, we used to be able to save cylinders without boring them oversize if a seizure was simply aluminum transferred to the cylinder without scoring the cylinder itself. Aluminum can be removed from the cylinder with muriatic acid. Get it at a mason supply store. Brush it on the affected area and watch it bubble away the aluminum while leaving the ferrous mat'l alone. Depending on the amount and thickness of the aluminum several applications will be necessary. Be sure to give the cylinder a good rinse with water when finished, and report the results here please.
  2. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    How well does Krylon hold up over long haul?
    Did you use the "Fusion" type?
    Did you prime the surface, and what primer did you use?

3. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    My own dyno testing shows the GSXR can as comming in about half way between the stock muffler and the FMF Q4. A PowerBomb header with a Q4 (or PowerCore 4) does better over the whole range.

I agree about the repacking issue. I've been hounding FMF for years to adapt something like their PowerLine ATV muffler for the dualsport market.
  4. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    plugged PILOT JET. it's the small jet next to the main, clean or replace adjust air/fuel screw & enjoy.
  5. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Aesthetics. Yes, the GSXR is just as big a monstrosity as the stocker. And even though they are virtually the same size the GSXR can looks even more gigantic.

Also, it is not the great performance mod that everyone seems to think it is based on one dyno test MX-Rob did a couple years ago. Yes, it's better than stock but if you are looking to make a lot more power the GSXR can will still be a bottleneck.

I've sold several hundred FMF pipes over the last 4 years and have not had to deal with any quality issues. The FMF pipes on the shop bikes have held up just fine. We did have an issue with FMF's packaging. For months I ended up sending about 20% of the DR pipes back to Parts Unlimited because of shipping damage.
  6. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Or the passage between the pilot jet, mixture screw and carb throat may be plugged. It isn't always enough the clean the jet. You have to make sure the fuel can flow through the rest of the idle circuit.
  7. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    it's pretty rare to have a company issue you a refund before you return their product for inspection. it happens, but it's not common.

and they did exactly what you asked. they came here, said thanks for bringing this to their attention, and offered to resolve it.

what's your problem. :norton

true, plugged pilot air jet, etc etc. main point to the OP is that he needs to properly tear down that carb and reassemble without tweaking the float, stripping threads and otherwise making the problem worse.

plugged pilot jet is like the most common ailment in off-road bikes.

just be glad you dont ride a 50cc bike!
  8. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry about that, but in a past life, (a long time ago), i had turkish housmates, and they couldn't say "very" or "just" if their lives depended on it. so, i picked up the habit from them. :D

doug s.
  9. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like a dyno shootout is in order - whose dyno is better? :lol3

personally, i am ok w/giving up a small amount of power, if that's the case, if it means i do not have to repack. while i have what is supposedly an upgrade to the gsxr can w/my tsukigi, (cuz i couldn't find a gsxr can), i understand it also doesn't need to be repacked - otherwise i would have kept waiting for the stock gsxr iteration. and, i suspect that if i am ever in the position to spring for the 780/cam/cylinder head kit for my bike, (which would about double the cost of my inwestment in it, haha!), i suspect the the larger gsxr-style can, w/my fmf powerbomb, kientech hi-flow mid-pipe, and fcr39 carb, would be a better match. also, i really like the way it looks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

doug s.
  10. Stringer99

Stringer99 Banned

Oddometer:
    i just tried this and the gas that comes out fills 20-25% of the hose diameter. is this the issue you think? fuel filter is new procycle one. i have properly torn down the carb and cleaned it 3 times. pilot jet is clean no debris, entire carb extremely clean.
  11. rail45

rail45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen good and bad Hindle products. In 2003 I was very pleased with a Hindle pipe on a 02 GSXR 750 racebike and so I had a local shop order one for my 91 GSXR750 streetbike. I mounted it up and the fit was hideous. The can was lower than the swingarm. I couldn't even believe it was meant for my bike. The bike would not have been rideable as I must have lost over 20 degrees of lean angle compared to the stock pipe (wish I could find the pics). I contacted the shop I ordered it from and they talked to Hindle for me. Hindle initially had me send in pics, then about a week later had me send back the whole system. In the end about a week after sending it back they resopnded that it matched their master and they just offered to refund me my money if I didn't like the fit. WTF are they even selling pipes for if they dont test fit them. I'm guessing mine would have fit an earlier/later year GSXR and they just assumed it would fit mine. You'd think I'd be happy with the refund, but I was certainly am not based on all the hassle. I mean it's not like it was an oddball model, and my bike was stock. I ended up having to swap exhausts 4 times and it took over a month.
    -Stephen
  12. Stringer99

Stringer99 Banned

Oddometer:
    Just to recap the bike keeps stuttering and stalling, unless choke activated. Bike has stock carb, drilled slide, new 145 main jet, 42.5 pilot jet, adjustable needle in 4th position with washer, extended fuel screw, new secondary breather, new in-line fuel filter, and throughly cleaned at sea level. Bike is a 2003 with 3850 miles with k&n air filter, procycle foam wrap in k&n oil, uncut airbox with snorkle removed, and stock exhaust running 93 octane.
  13. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    if it runs on choke then it's getting plenty of fuel...so no this isn't the issue.

edit:

check the needle, reset the clip to the middle position (3rd slot), adjust your mixture screw to 1.5 turns out and go from there.

also check your float height, might be stuck or otherwise out of whack, also check your needle valve is closing when the float is all the way up.
  14. Dravintoad

Dravintoad Toadthumpin

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if you were missing a "v" key. Your wubble-u's were coming out.

Hehe. I was imagining more of this...
    [​IMG]
  15. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    i recognize the shirt as something that had to come from star trek, but i am not a star trek fan, so i don't get the reference. i may have seen 2 or three shows. in fact, i am not a tv fan at all, having basically done w/o since about 1970.

doug s.
  16. MADurstewitz

MADurstewitz MADMark

Oddometer:
    The cylinder is scored. This was physical contact. I'm going to put my calipers on it tonight and see if it's out of round.
  17. jungleplant

jungleplant www.manracks.com mike@manracks.com

Oddometer:
    thats enough gas to run the bike , make sure the float bowl has gas in it , if it dose then move on to the next step which has already been posted here
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    can you post those dyno reports then please, plus what engine mods the bike has for the test. i'd like to see your numbers and to see why you are getting different findings than MXRob.

you had a 01-03 GSXR 1000 (ti) muffler correct? the 600 & 750 are heavier and 04 on 1000 pipe are much bigger. i have the correct one in my possesion and had it next to the FMF pipe and was not seeing a massive difference in size. i'll attach a pic of both on bikes.

i know you like to run heavily modified DRs with oversized motors. i wonder if those type of setups favor the FMF muffler where as those will stock motors and stock or modified BST carbs are happy with the GSXR muffler?

i know for many the appeal of the GSXR is it looks stock and says suzuki 80db for the noise police. since it is a 80db oem pipe it is quiter (yet just as effective) than a noisy FMF. for others the idea of not needing to repack is paramount.

i wish you luck getting FMF to use those better ATV pipes. even though pricey, Staintune and Scorpion pipes sell well across the board because of lifetime wool packing. i understand your a FMF dealer and that pipe offers an easy bolt on part for you to sell.

FMF pipe:

Attached Files:

19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    01-03 gsxr 1000 pipe.

i see no difference in size :dunno
    and think it looks great on the bike.

Attached Files:

20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    now on the other hand if you had the 04 on pipe, yes it's big.
    the lowest one is the correct the 01-03 pipe and the one above it is the 04 pipe.

Attached Files: