Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. RodSTer

RodSTer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody,

Serves me right for loading the bike for my move this summer, but didn't have time to make multiple trips. A pannier got loose and marred the rear rim. Bike is a 2009 R1200GSA. What are my options ?

[​IMG]
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok,,,we see this condition from time to time,,,it is usually caused by the cleansers you are using to wash your bike/wheels,,

FYI,,, Simple Green ,holistic as it sounds is the worst of the cleaners that attack the color of your anodizing,,there are various dish washing detergents that create similar results...

Perhaps I'll start a thread to get more feedback from the inmates,,,everyone has some horror story like it....

And if you use chrome cleaner or oven cleaner it will vaporize your finish in less than aminute:huh:eek1:1drink:eek1:deal

S-100 is aproven detergentHonda also has some good stuff...

FYI #2 = worse case scenario we can R&R rim. Strip and re-anodize your wheels any color you like
    :freaky
    Woody
  3. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    No problem,,we do this everyday,,send in wheel ,,we'll dismantle repair/buff out scratches /strip and re-anodize..circa $300

AND the wheel will be returned truer and the true last longer than what ya just sent in:deal
    Woody

PS circa 2 week turnaround
  4. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody. First I want to thank you guys for the great service you offer....I have bought a bunch of wheels from you and am very happy with them. My last set that I purchased in the summer are A60 rims for my WR144. The front wheel developed alot of free play within a few hours (I say about 2mm or more) so Zack asked me to send it back as he wanted to replace the bearing and get a better spacer....i was also reimbursed the shipping cost back to you thank you. I just finally got around to remounting the wheel after it sitting on my shelf a few months, and found some free play. This time around the free play is much less...but there is some. The OEM wheel has zero free play. So is some free play ok?

Thanks again for your service. You built a rear wheel for my F800GS that has taken everything I have thrown in it's path
  5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi toro618

just out of curiosity,,,when you grab the tire at top,and push pull left to right,,how much is it wiggling ???

1/8OA left-right ,ie +/- 1/16 on a 21'' wheel is within bounds

OBTW,,can you see where the movement is..??
    ie is it between the spacer and axle .

so feedback from toro618 indicated !/16'' left to right movement with no visible movement at seal/spacer/axle interface.:clap
    so you are good to go...

FYI,,,we and the OEM manufacturers run tighter tolerances,,hence less freeplay.
    woody
  6. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you, Woody.
  7. dgomezhall

dgomezhall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,

Looking to transform my '81 Honda Passport and get some wheels that look like these wheels.

They told me their 2.50" x 17" wheels (front and back) laced to the stock hubs with 3.00" x 17" tires. The stock Honda Passport wheels are 1.20" x 17" front and 1.40" x 17" rear. So a couple if questions...

1. Do you have a recommendation for a 2.5 x 17 rim to pair with the stock honda hub (36x 5.5mm spokes) that is cheap?

2. How much would it cost to take the stock hub and lace it to that wheel?

3. What is the beefiest tire I could mount on a 1.2" / 1.4" rim that would look wider and taller?

Anything else I should be considering in this undertaking?

Thanks!
  8. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    holler when you are ready
    woody
  9. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    hey woody - i saw your slightly used hp2e 19 / 17 canyon carver setup for sale and i am interested. i am no longer going to be riding my hp2e off road and am in the process of converting it for better on road performance. i am also planning on selling my ktm 950sm and would like my hp2e to handle like the KTM! i know its a tall order to say the least but the hp2e has potential as an uber supermoto IMO. its light for a big beast, has ample power, and ergonomically its perfect for me as like the HP2E I'm a bit oversized myself :D. Of course the handling and braking are the areas that need to be fixed first.

anyway, i have the 17" set up and do not like the way the front end behaves. i cant quite put my finger on why. it seems stable enough for the riding i do which is primarily very tight and twisty back roads. I dont have a lot of wide open spaces that i ride but instead i ride a lot on go kart track - like roads. the 17" is ok up to a point but it just doesn't have a linear feel at extreme lean angles falling away in unnerving fashion. does this make sense? do you think the 19" set up will cure this? The long wheelbase makes quick transitions more challenging than the KTM but i assume these wheels are lighter and stronger than the stock SM wheels? I am installing the fast bike industries fork kit and assume there is no issues fitting this set up along with your wheels? will these wheels and rotors bolt right up with the existing calipers? im not wanting to change the seat height or riding position and assume i do not have to modify this for the 19/17 set up? lastly, how many miles on these and what would they cost me new?

Apologize for all the questions. we can chat live if it is easier.

thanks
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    gotta run

my SKYPE name is tg.witte
    have a fub week-end:freaky
    woody
  11. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody!
    Probably a complete noob question but I cant get any results from the search engine..
    Just bought a 2002 KTM LC4 Super Motard.
    It comes with 120/70 R 17 front & 160/60 R 17 rear.
    I plan on using this as a mostly off road bike. What are my options? What are my size options tires/rims? Would the 19F and 17 R work? Cost? :ear
    I was actually looking for the LC4e but couldn't get one in my price range.
    Thanks!
    Bob
  12. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    appreciate the quick reply...sounds just like what i need :clap
    ill call you monday
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
  14. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    hi,

Do you offer color spokes? If so where do you recommend us looking for inspiration for rim color/spoke/nipples pictures? I cant look through 178 pages ;-s

and..

what is the purpose of changing the hub?

thanks,
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    we have pics i'm sure on our website

www.woodyswheelworks.com

we come up with whatever you want pretty much,,visualize it and...:wink:
    w
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    folks,,here's another california adventure/dual-sport ride instructor that has my blessing,,

He's got a wonderful way for you to burn of your Thanks-giving day calories:wink:

RIDING IN THE SAND!!!

here's his link etc

Happy thanksgiving! Eat hearty; you'll use a lot of calories during class this weekend:

Sand 101
    (http://earthrider-amgi.blogspot.com/2010/12/dss-03-sand-101-sand-is-not-my-foe.html)
    Learning to enjoy sand is a major game-changer, especially in southern California. Click the link to find out more.

Tire Lofting
    (http://earthrider-amgi.blogspot.com/2009/04/09-dss-06-tire-lofting-introduction.html)
    Think of this as a valuable riding safety skill, which happens to be fun, too. Read more on the web page.

It looks like perfect riding weather this weekend; hope to see you then!

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][FONT=Papyrus][SIZE=4][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Cochin][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][SIZE=4][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus][COLOR=#336633][FONT=Papyrus]Best,[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Papyrus][FONT=Papyrus][FONT=Papyrus][SIZE=4][FONT=Papyrus][FONT=Papyrus][FONT=Papyrus]Laine MacTague, CI[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

EarthRider - Adventure Moto Guiding & Instruction
    EarthRider on Facebook
    [FONT=Papyrus][SIZE=3][FONT=Papyrus][FONT=Papyrus]C - 805.421.8773

[SIZE=3][I][B][SIZE=6]go for it!!!!
    [SIZE=6]tell[SIZE=6] him ''woody '' sent ya[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]woody[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

17. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    Woody:

Circa 1980 Honda CB750 with spoked wheels; a 17" rear with a "larger" drum brake hub and a 19" front with a "smaller" hub. Can you re-drill (?) the rear rim and spoke it to the front hub if I send you these two components? The entire wheel will be powder coated, so less expensive spokes would suffice.

Ballpark estimate? Turnaround time?

Thanks...

Wrysingfeenix
  18. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok pardner,,,the idea is great,,the devil is in the details,,,if they are chrome/steel rims this conversion is more difficult to re-angle than if ya had alloy rims[we have more latitude ..
    HOWEVER in this/your case the spoke angle is too radical on the rear rim to be converted to the spoke angle on the front,,,..just lay one wheel on top o feach other and you'll see the predicament ,,the lil disc hub up front has the spokes coming almost straight out of the dimple,,look at the rear and the spokes are coming out of the outer edges of the dimple,,,

tell me what you are trying to do,,my hunch some quasi super moto machine or perhaps something with a big wheel front street cruiser...

you'll need a different/custom spoke kit,,want low budget we can probably put a good used set together for circa $50 new circa $100

i'll see what 17 x2.15 or was it a2.5x 17 that was on them ol hondas...

whatever ,,we can help ya within your $$ constraints...:deal
    woody
  19. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    The rear rims are 2.5 x 17.

Exactly...I started out on a cafe' racer project and have decided to have an easily converted 2-3 bike package. Two tanks, two seats, two sets of bars, two sets of side covers, 2.5 -3 sets of wheels, etc. all interchangeable in an easy afternoon or less.

I currently have stock spoked powder coated wheels installed for a "street tracker" look, have a spare set of original spoked wheels and would like to have a "bobber" option with a fat front wheel (hence my question, and I suspected you'd confirm my amateur guess that the spoke angle was too extreme to modify easily) and...I have a set of Comstar wheels that will be powder coated and used with the "cafe racer" version.

Used would be fine, but please clarify...are you saying that with the correct spokes I could, in fact, lace the small hub to the wide rim? I can build the wheel (I have experience with bicycle wheels) and I have a buddy who has extensive experience truing them, and it is a low budget project, but I'm not penny wise/pound foolish about it.

Or. Do you mean you could build a wheel on my front hub with a used rim that you have?

And...as always, thanks for your time, expertise, and attention. I and basically everyone who knows you and/or your reputation, appreciate it.

Wrysingfeenix
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    PS,,thanks for the attaboys,,,i/we do try to give back a little,,it's an easy equation for me,,that has worked my entire life,,my grand-pa opa lapp always told me ''give back more than you take,,,and the world will be your oyster,,,thank goodness i like oysters in any shape or form!!:wink:
    later
    woody