GM Shoddiness & Crappy Build & Materials Quality

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Nytelyte, Dec 9, 2012.

1. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it won't hold, that tells me that something is worn, bent, or broken. Do the techs tell you what is out of spec and what they do to correct it? Also, is the rear alignment holding?

I know on the Gen 5 Camrys that the front lower control arm and strut designs were changed between '03 and '04. The guys on toyotanation said it was to weaken the link to lessen structural damage in a collision. I don't know what that does to parts longevity, though. Your Sienna may have a known problem that can be fixed that no one is telling you about. You might check over at toyotanation in the Sienna forum. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/274-2nd-generation-2004-2010/

Addendum:

Reading over at TN, I found a link to a TSB for updated alignment specs for your van:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?odf5fyq5lya5ci2

It's not coming from Toyota's site, but it looks like the real deal. That won't help if the settings move around on you, though.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    At least yours went 155k. My 1999 F-150 (5.4L) got head gaskets before the odometer had even rolled over 10,000 miles!
  3. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    oh...have you checked your rear diff cover lately? they are known to rust through DAMHIK :lol3

and I don't even live in a really snowy area:deal
  4. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    that's an easy one. Did my research online and fixed it with a bypass. You CAN unlock it when it happens. It's seems a bit brutal but there is a procedure. You simply yank it back and forth against the lock several times like you're trying to rip the wheel off. Then you hold steady and forceful pressure in the CW direction with one hand at 3 oclock while you turn the key. IT WORKS. Then you drive it home and put a bypass in it.

Wait until your traction control / ABS / active handling dies. That one's easy too but costs about $250.
  5. Hastelloy-X

Hastelloy-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Including the tie rod ends, ball joints and the steering dampner your model truck has a total of 11 grease zerks within the front suspension area.

Did you ever grease them?

My 2000 Silverado has the original ball joints, tie rods, and steering dampner; they are tight like new. With 175,000 miles on them.

I greased the zerks twice a year though. My 2000 Silverado also has 11 zerks in the front suspension components.

I took my vehicle to the dealer once for an oil change and asked the ASE certified master tech how many zerks he greased. His answer was all of them (4 total) per the manual.

I did my own lube maintenance after that!

Does your GMC have the push button 4WD?

How much for the truck?
  6. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    You know the biggest bummer for me?

I think the Volt is a really cool car. It would actually be an awesome car for my wife and I. But after my current truck being such a piece of shit there's no way I could talk myself into a Volt. I don't care if it's a different set of engineers. It's the same company and if they can't put out a simple truck that doesn't rattle, clunk, warp rotors, throw codes, and rust out, I have no faith that they can get a complex hybrid right.
  7. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soo true! I had an 87 535is, with 220k then I turbocharged it and D&D it until 250k, then took it back to stock and sold it. Still running great, and the leather is still intact and not ripped.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you were serious or not, but sent ya' a pm with a link to the ad. :lol3
  9. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks!

I get those computer generated reports, the show how far out the wheels were. But that's all. The techs have no idea what's wrong. One shop in GA. (Where we bought it) claimed it was nothing to worry about.

I'll look it up.

But seriously, no new Toyotas for me. They have lost the script, as have Honda in my opinion.
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    So who is building a good quality car today, the Germans?
  11. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
    I actually tried that when it happened. No luck. I have the bypass kit installed.

My traction control/active handling light are on constantly...so I guess I'm there....

I've been driving it without traction control because I'm sick of spending money on this thing.
  12. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same bean counters as before.....I personally know...KNOW...that this car has the same ole GM problems, they are just not reported, rattles, crap plastic, windows fall off the track, brake hoses come off and tear....it is the same old GM....and now toss this wonder technology....ahh sorry you can't make a regular car what on gods green earth makes you think you can make something cutting edge....oh sure you can make it work for a month...maybe....but after that all bets are off.

Only thing worse is Dodge....my god are they crap.....and the new caprice....what a pile o' crap that thing is....I know departments that are staying way in droves....and I know we will never buy another charger....now the new Police interceptor/tarus...whatever....that thing we have had zero problems with so far.
  13. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was at the chevy dealer yesterday getting the first oil change done in my '12 Silverado and they had a Camaro sitting there with a $60K msrp? I had no idea those things got loaded up like that.
  14. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh no you din't! ZL1. ZR1 mill but a bit less power. Limited suppy.
  15. simmersonwheels

simmersonwheels Asleep at Switch

Oddometer:
    2010 F150 lariat, the backup camera is intermittent. 66km out of warranty. (That's 40 miles!!) I've been complaining since new, documented on three services. Ford thinks it's likely the rear view mirror assembly. They haven't confirmed if they will cover it yet.
    Here's the kicker. Retail for the rear view mirror, yes, the mirror glued to the windshield-
    $1600.00
    NO SHIT!!!!!
    $1600.00
    Even in those comfy lariat seats my ass hurts!!!
    How can that mirror, with an LCD that is worse that a $40 POS camera be $1600?
    Crazy. To make me feel better, the dealer mentioned a customer who smashed his exterior rearview door mirror on a loaded F350, and all the parts and labour came to just under $3k!
    Wow, now I feel much better.
    That said, still love the truck.

16. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tells me that today's trucks are not intended to be used for work. Can you imagine the pocketbook carnage if you took something like that to a jobsite?

The U.S. needs a simple pickup with 14 ga sheetmetal, solid axles, leaf springs, and an inline 6 with a granny-low 5-speed. Steel and vinyl interior that can be hosed out with a pressure washer. <$10k.
  17. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Well, they are still made for work - just not the way the types of guys who used to buy Mercedes and BMW's might order them.

Base model trucks are still OK in my book. We got by for 70 years with trucks that had normal mirrors and tough bumpers.

Re: the second part of your post, I agree that to really make America flow again, while I agree with the EPA and regulations on so many other things, simple, rugged and cheap vehicles just aren't bad. But everyone who can make money off of what we have now, including insurance companies, are against it.

I plan to eventually go BACK to Chevy... say to a 1982 or 1975, and build it up from the frame. Simple, effective, and the 350 V8 parts are still very common... though even a straight 6 would be fine.

We once had what I believe was a late 70's work-yellow Chessie-system GM truck with a straight 6, 4.11 rear gears, super heavy duty suspension and a step-side bed (of all things). Simple as could be, rugged, and cheap.
  18. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    You guys want to see flashing lights on a 2009 Pontiac....all them scary ones ABS/Stabilitrak/TC ???? Just stop somewhere slippery, turn the ignition off and when your restart spin the wheels a little to get back on the road. They'll flash allright....!:lol3

Then you'll have to stop again to restart/reset them.Lots of fun if you are in traffic that.:D They don't tell you that it takes a certain distance for the systems to selftest and if you ever spin the wheels before that.....you'll get them lights.:lol3
  19. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mining industry needs a crush-proof people mover, somthing that can withstand being run over by a loaded Cat 797F. I'm thinking a dome shape with suspension that permits the chassis to ground under extreme load.
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    :photog :rofl