What have you done to your GS or GS Adventure today?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PWarren4, Oct 26, 2012.

1. D-J

D-J GS powerrrrrrr

Oddometer:
    It should be: Ride the USA
    :wink:
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    You are right! Maybe when he gets tired of scenery he will ride Holland.:lol3

JK!
  3. DIHOWARD

DIHOWARD Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Well, I just finished 2 days of giving my GS it's annual winter going over on the lift table. Last winter was pretty major, getting all of Alaska out of the nooks and crannies. Last summer's major trip was to Colorado, with several down to Missouri thrown in. I spent alot of time riding my 1200 GT, which is in at the dealer right now getting the 18,000 mile service. So 2 days of the GS on the lift allows me to really clean and check out the whole bike, make adjustments and lube where need. I had a mounting bolt to replace on my Dalota Motorsports bash plate, so I got that taken care of. But for the first time, I did a semi spline lube. I wasn't experiencing anything that was a warning that it needed to be done, but it has 50,000 and I have never done it. My Service Manager taught me this so I gave it a go. Basically, you remove the starter, take all the slack out of the adjuster ( 1100 GS ) and tie the lever in place with a tie wrap. You can now see about a 1/4" to 3/8" of the splines looking thru the opening. Push the plates back with a screwdriver to expose more. Put the trany in 1st and slowly rotate, dabbing the splines with new Honda Moly 60, using an artists paint brush. Worked like a charm and I had then done in about 15 minutes. Buttoned it back up, off the lift and back on the Battery Tender for a couple of more months. Every winter for the past few years, I think about selling the pig and trying something else, and every year, when I button it up, I come to my senses and realize just how much I love this bike. He'a a pic before the detail started.

[​IMG]
  5. clintonl

clintonl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed rox risers. Wished I'd done this years ago. Much better riding position and I can now stand on the pegs properly.
  6. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the rear wheel off to get a new Anakee II installed. The old one lasted 9200 miles. I had a Maier USA rear splash guard waiting since Cyclenutz had a sale in December so I cleaned it up a bit around the rear shock and put it on. I will get some new screws from the dealer that are as long as the ones that came with the splash guard so that they are SS and match the rest of the bike.

No pictures so use your imagination.
    Kevin

BTW, we had some rain in San Diego the last week and I rode the GSA to work a couple days (my K1200RS commuter is cleaner so the switch was warranted). What fun the GSA is riding in the rain doing battle with cars. They think we are crazy so we get some added respect it seems.
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    How did you get to and from Washington state without touching the states around them? Boat trip?

And the Northeast? That thing fly too?:lol3

8. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Balston Spa, New York. That is where I bought my first motorcycle, a 1987 Yamaha FZ-600. I rode it around New York and Vermont. I was then stationed in Bremerton Washington and rode there when I was not at sea.

Actually, prior to moving to California in 2002, I had only ridden a motorcycle in New York, Vermont, Washington, Illinois, and Wisconsin. And, the rest of the states shown, (other than California, of course...) I rode in since last June...
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Mystery solved. Cool

10. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great way to do a quick semi-spline lube. I might have to see if it is possible on my 1150.
  11. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb
  12. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    The only thing that I would see as different is that you have a hydraulic clutch and mine is manual. I backed out my adjuster all the way and then an extra twist for good measure. Then I pulled the clutch lever in and zip tied to the grip. I then took a long screwdiver and pushed the clutch disk a foward. All told, I got about 3/8" of spline exposed. An artist brush with a litttle heated Honda Moly and I was good to go.
  13. dch

dch Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Carbon Fiber Tank Panels on my new 2013 GS Adventure Triple Black. It just didn't look Triple black with a brushed aluminum tank panel.
    [​IMG]
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Thought about it while it sits in someone else's garage! :cry

Jim :brow
  15. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    hey, where did you get those?

received..top box ..something wrong with the camera lens cause it didn't come with a dog in it
    [​IMG]

and two bros M5 'all black' havent unpacked
  16. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it vinyl wrapped or did you have them custom made carbon fiber? They look great, and I agree the brushed aluminum looks out of place... :wings
  17. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
  18. stromsavard

stromsavard Serge

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! I love it!! Damn....Still ride my 1150!!
  19. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the benefit of some excellent technical assistance, an upgraded battery:

[​IMG]

with seat mod:
    [​IMG]

And a BestRest glare shield that eliminates the HID halo:
    [​IMG]
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  20. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed this little do-hickey my wife got me for my birthday. Somehow I managed to install it myself which is pretty amazing since I'm a major mechanical know-nothing (I did lose 3 washers and scrape 2 knuckles however). JVB didn't have a DVD for it yet, but I'm counting on it for my next install. I don't know what I'm going to put in it since I don't really know how to use any tools. Maybe a Starbucks giftcard? I like the way it looks though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]