Reaver's Ramblings - Toronto to LA on the GS Twins

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Reaver, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I thought you were going to Hype your creation? :huh

Bec's replacement bike is red and she didn't like it at first. I convinced her it's far more visible than the old one. "It's too much red". So I bought the carbon fibre centre panel and she loved it. Then I bought her a CF beak extension and it was a hit too.

So...I had planned to propose on this trip and it was a miracle that things came together to allow it in the first place. I needed a ring that could be hidden in plain sight, be light and more of a symbol than an actual gold band and diamond. We are not flashy people anyway. Something that may be lost without too much grief should it come to that. I don't wear jewelry or a watch, and her stuff is more costume like. We would just rather spend the money on gas, like this trip.

I decided a CF ring would be perfect, to match the bike. The stuff online was cookie cutter, all the same and impersonal. Who's the master with CF on ADV? Erling! So I asked him to make me one and he graciously volunteered his time and materials and would accept no money. It arrived at Bec's house on the only Monday she took off work. Erling had labelled the envelope "Napkin Holder" so Bec wanted to open it and see. I did some fast talking and used diversion tactics. Whew.

Hand made, one of a kind and a story to boot. Perfect. Bec and I thank you so much Erling.

We had debated sizes for a week and settled on a bit big. So in true McGyver style, I lined the inside of the ring with two layers of electrical tape while in Whistler to make it a perfect fit. It will end up as my wedding band on the big day so there's meat enough to hone it out a bit larger for me. I don't remember the last time I put so much thought into something. So it may be just a few bucks worth of material, but it's story is priceless! So much time has gone into it, something a store bought ring will never have.

If time and luck are in our favour then we plan to meet Erling and buy the first 5 rounds! :freaky

Thanks man, you're the best!
  2. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! :freaky
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Darryl. Those are great words, but this story and new chapter in your life is about the two of you, not me, and thus anything regarding the ring, I felt should come from you. That said I appreciate those kind words, and a chance to be part of this. By you asking this, you have opened my eyes to something different, I have never though of, and for that I thank YOU, and BEC.
    Regarding the ring, pm me when you get back, and want to change the fit, on the elegant finger it it on right now......:D:D
    It is a great ride report you have created, and a joy to follow the two of you. Stay safe, and keep riding.:clap:clap
  4. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Day 9 - 600 kms

Whistler to Portland Oregon

[​IMG]

We got up early and packed our clean clothes. The hotel had a Laundromat at $1.50/load and we brought detergent so for $3 we were set for another week. I brought my church underwear just in case, you know, the holey ones. Sometimes buying new is cheaper than washing them in some places. We got new T shirts with the Bungee so another days shirt as well.

It was tough leaving that fancy hotel, mostly because our bikes wouldn't trigger the automatic garage door opener. The concrete was uneven and on a slope so I couldn't easily dismount my loaded pig. I did the tip toe reverse gear with swearing as my back up alarm. Dismounted, I jumped with both feet landing on that old fashioned gas bar bell ringer pneumatic hose thingy. We were FREE!

A scenic and uneventful down hill coast on the 99 to Vancouver. She needed gas but we waited. We stopped downtown Vancouver to find a Decal for my topcase. No luck. I guess I'll have to order online or something. Negotiated our way through the beggars to Timmies where you had to be buzzed into the bathroom. Weird. I guess the homeless have to score enough for a coffee in order to use indoor facilities. The sign read Gimme $ Gimme$ Gimme $. Subtle. Both Canada and the US have treated the Natives poorly but still......

[​IMG]

We liberated the rubber ducky and named him "Whistler" even though he had no squeaker.....

[​IMG]

I've never seen so many BMW R1200C's as I did In Vancouver. I bet there's more there than the rest of Canada. BMW's only cruiser (R1200CL is a bagger version), it only became popular after poor sales caused it to be discontinued. I've ridden many and every time I hear the stock pipes I think "Whose making Popcorn?"

[​IMG]

Crossed the border at the Pacific X-ing instead of the Peace Arch cause I haven't done that yet but mostly the sign said a much shorter wait. The US Border Agent was a short man so pour on the respect! Yes Sir, No Sir.....He was polite and asked a lot of trip-up questions then quizzed me about Bec who was next in line. No prob, he lacked the arrogance they normally have but was good at his job. Either they just don't get it or it's an act. "What route are you taking home from LA?" I don't know sir." "What do you mean you don't know?" "I have a GPS and two weeks to figure it out Sir. We're bikers."

Talked to a couple by yelling over the barrier while in line. They just did a tour of the US and Newfoundland Stromming 22 K kms and were returning home to Vancouver, Canada. Cool. I think they wanted to tell the world but I didn't get a chance to ask about a RR. That's a long ride!

Interstated (yawn) to Seattle where we negotiated the hilly streets and "no turns" until we zig zagged our way to the waterfront. Long weekend traffic and tourists had us looking for a parking spot in the now roasting heat. Finally found bike only parking right across from the Seattle Aquarium. A local pulled up on his cruiser and gave us the lowdown on the restaurants. The Crab Pot by the Sky Wheel it is! We wanted to do the Sky Wheel for pics just like Niagara Falls....but look at the lineup!

[​IMG]

Look, a baby CN Tower!

[​IMG]

Bec and I waiting for our Crab Stuffed Salmon at the Crab Pot. Awesome and under $20 each. We were famished so no pics of our lunch. It looked like a pregnant salmon fillet, use your imagination.

[​IMG]

Seattle had it's share of beggars too. "I need a Fatty" and "Need cash for Alcohol and Weed" was to the point as well. I snapped a general pic of the waterfront and someone wanted money for being in it. I'll crop you out, don't worry Scruffy! Leaving Seattle was a PITA! The idiots were blocking the intersections. We got a green light, with no one ahead but with some idiot SUV owner with entitlement issues was blocking the way for our doubly wide "baggers". Soaked in sweat Bec was.....not being Lady-like. Polite Canadians my arse. Her impatience carried on the rest of the day to the point the tail was trying to wag the dog. I'm leading, you're not. So we missed hwy 101 along the coast of Washington and stayed on the same old Interstate nothingness. I called it quits just north of Portland Oregon. Stick with the small towns to avoid high cost rooms. We found a good place first try and it even had 2 ply toilet paper.

Riding and being with a partner 24/7, no matter who that partner is, is stressful and will lead to tiffs, disagreements or whatever you want to call it. That's life. We're good 99% but sometimes I get crabby when tired. Different beds, different hotels and worries make me restless. I usually take Tylenol PM to zonk me out. Sometimes it doesn't work.
  5. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! Awsome RR... but I just can't see the pics. Is it just me?
  6. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pictures on my end as well :getiton
    Safe travel both of you enjoy the ride be safe and thanks for sharing even no pictures :lol3
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL...... Daryl has caught the dreaded PB bug.....:lol3:lol3 Either pay up....or wait until it resets..... Nice to see it does not only happen to me.:clap:clap
  8. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Bucket B'stards are demanding money. Too many readers now. :doh

Let me see if it's an arm or my first born...............

Edit: OK you FF's, I gave in and paid the ransom. If so many of you wouldn't read about my boring life I might be able to afford a beer now and then. :1drink
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Spend it now BEFORE the marriage ...
    Have a few pallets of the good beer drop-shipped to my house.
    I'll keep the cold for you (the ones I don't drink) :lol3
  10. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    If you want GOOD beer then it'll have to be imported.

And I'm not putting a fox in charge of the hen house. :wink:
  11. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just beautiful......:cry
    Congratulation Reaver and Bec:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Day 10 - barely 600 kms. Portland to the Cali Border.

[​IMG]

We left our budget room with it's own router, 2 ply TP and a reasonable breakfast after a bike inspection with the Supervisor questioning the need and subsequent delay. Fueled up and hit the Interstate. Boring.

Stopped here at the Evergreen Aviation Museum to address my first "LAMP" fault display. I brought 3 spare headlight bulbs since the F and R GS's are hard on bulbs for some reason. It's a 2 min fix. I wanted to leave ASAP as this aircraft had it's engines stolen while waiting to taxi.

[​IMG]

It was a small airport with the Terminal on the roof.

[​IMG]

A few hours later we stopped for a break and fed the seal.

[​IMG]

They have lousy taxidermists in Oregon.

[​IMG]

But really good carpenters.

[​IMG]

Oh Zumo, sometimes you say the sweetest things!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we see the endangered Land Shark returning to the Oregon forests to bear her young. It's a protected coastline so there's no access to photograph the historical event.

[​IMG]

Having done what instinct has driven her to do, she returns to the sea to die leaving the young responsible for the species success.

[​IMG]

We arrived in a small coastal town and just wanted a room where we could watch the sun set over the Pacific. It was getting close.

[​IMG]

Whew. That was stressful.

[​IMG]

You'd think a town with so much coastline would have a room by the ocean. Nope, a blue collar town. Only the Best Western with a 3 story walk-up starting at $169. Ah, no. So we rode around following a lost Zumo till we said F it and took a motel on the highway for cheap. Bec said the girl at the desk probably has her own price list - one adult or two? There were scary neighbours that looked like long term renters, like Earl and Randy on "My name is Earl". Our neighbour was "One Eye Talksalot". A quick bite at the neighbourhood "Hole" with a sign about no guns or weapons allowed in the bar. It made me feel safe. Food was good. A couple of beached whales were playing pool and convinced some guy to pay their tab. Bec used the lobby computer while I updated my RR on the laptop. She said the guy and the whales checked in. Thankfully not above us.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Well I knew you wouldn't fall for that ... :lol3

but ... tell me about your daily pre-ride wheel bearing check ...
    Is this a "wiggle the rim with your finger on axle/bearing" check or something more exotic?
  14. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Man... I have to say the ring story and the bungee jump, love and everything in this RR are very good. BUT, this one here is priceless!!!:rofl:rofl:lol3:lol3

I hadn't laugh my brains off like this since long time ago in this forum... thanks a lot.

P.S.: sorry, but I had to edit this, as I have a question for you (or OSO)... Maybe it's stupid, but you have to fill up the two tanks, don't you? Or just the Camel? I mean, do you fill them both trough the Camel?:scratch
  15. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Did it make your milk come out of your nose?

I try to entertain. Make use of my defective noggin. "Abby Normal" Dr. Frankenstein.

You fill both tanks. Vacuum draws from the Camel till it's empty then uses the normal tank.
  16. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I remove the wheel each day, clean and lube all bearings and measure play with a dial guage riding on the rim.

If that lets you sleep.

:loco
  17. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Day what? 11? More hundred kms. California border to San Francisco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When in the area, you have to see the giants. Yes there are bigger trees but this is a beautiful, twisty ride with gorgeous scenery. We passed 3 "Drive Thru" trees complete with fences and parking lots and admission. No thanks.

[​IMG]

Just a quick pick of a smaller burned out tree. It was still growing. I took a vid of the ride but need to figure out how to get that up. There are lots of State Parks to get more acquainted with the Giants.

[​IMG]

Bec looks like an ant.

[​IMG]

Just another BMW poser at Starbucks. How's my System 6 hair?

[​IMG]

We had spent so much time in the forests that it was getting late. A bad experience at my first California gas station with it's uncircumcised nozzles and at the adjoining Subway had us eating at Mc D's. Had to stop at Starbucks for free WIFI and book a room. I thought we were going local but Bec got a room in San Fran at a 4 1/2 star Hotel. With Valet parking only. Great, I think. More night riding.

Crossing the Golden Gate bridge at night............

[​IMG]

We arrived at the hotel after negotiating the streets and avoiding pedestrians. Reception said "Oh I'm pretty sure our Valet can park your bikes. It's $50 per". Bec said "You need a licence to ride those and I'm sure my BF won't let you touch them." So we went up the road to the unsecured parking garage, right beside the Hotel's unsecured parking. We paid $13.50 for both and left them to the mercy of the night creatures.

San Fran is a busy hustling city. On your down time you can either conduct business on the phone or build your own 2-ply. Multi-tasking is key.

[​IMG]

We crashed right away and tried to get going earlier than usual. These 4+ star hotels charge for everything so no free breakfast. It was decided that Bellboy could take our luggage and store it as the front desk was all too kind to give us just an extra half hour to check out. I gave him a nice tip for his trouble. Nice guy.

Gotta check out the Wharf when you're here so we took a streetcar. The guy at the rh front was the driver. I'm sure he's seen it all and had a firm but polite character. Fare is exact change and all I had was a 5'r for the $4 fee so I was "schooled" on what's what and given my dollar change. I had intended to tip the guy.

[​IMG]

Ok so we were starving and hit the Eagle Café on Pier 39. I figured high prices, small dishes.

I lied, here's my Steak and Eggs!

[​IMG]

Oh man that was good, and cheap too. My only complaint was that the toast was so old it was sprouting.

While eating we saw Loutre's.......

[​IMG]

Sea Lion Bouncers.......

[​IMG]

and the amazing flying Beavers.........

[​IMG]

After breakfast, Bec found a Leftorium and got all excited (she's a Southpaw) .

[​IMG]

Whoa! Lefty stuff is 3x Righty stuff. Forget that.

Alcatraz. The chopper was looking for tourists or terrorists or something.

[​IMG]

Then there was this boat. Sure sounded like a turbine spooling up.

[​IMG]
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    atta boy Reaver ...
    Let me know when I can stop worrying about the water pump :lol3
  19. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Just a quick real time update. It's been tough keeping it going with a shared laptop and our expensive hotel in San Francisco "offered" WIFI for a low price of $15/night. Yeah, no. Bellboy got a president note with a 10 on it already. Don't know our own Prime Minister notes let alone your Presidents. We're leaving Ragged Point California now after a bike check.

Bikes:

Been doing great. Woody, the coolant leak on Bec's has been good except for the stop and go traffic jam in San Jose which was very hot and it dribbled a bit. The coastal roads are much cooler being in the high teens and the bikes prefer that. Tiny chicken strips on the tires here.

All is well.

[​IMG]
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    :clap