Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    If anyone has an account with a picture hosting site, and is willing to post these pics let me know. I don't have an account but do have a copy of the pics.

So there you go.

JJ
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>I'll host them, JJ. (Not to dissuade anyone.) I just haven't gotten to resizing and editing the pictures with the usual circles and arrows and such.

<BR>
  3. johnjen

Oddometer:
    Um, without knowing more of your circumstance blowing smoke is a sign of either an electrical issue (as in the smoke theory of electricity :evil) or there is something else going on. :evil

Is the smoke blue (as in oil smoke) or black (as in soot), or white (as in water vapor)?

You might try, just to see, what happens with the jumper on the -10º setting.

You might also want to check your plugs and general state of tune.

JJ
  4. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    well, I can only say, in times past when I have messed with the cat code plug jumpers, some settings have produced the same results.

it is blakish smoke, smells like fuel.

the same thing happened when I totally removed the jumpers for the ccp.

it pulls harder everywhere like that, but it is so rich that it blubbers all over the off idle region of throttle control.

Ill change the ccp jumpers to the stock ( lean rose colored jumper) settings and see what happens.

how many learning cycles does the mototronic need to get a set up?

5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>No learning cycles. Do not reset the Motronic ECU.

The IICE Air doesn't need any sort of ECU learning cycle. When the IICE Air is installed the ECU merely thinks the intake air is a little cooler. For example, you don't need to reset the ECU every time the sun goes down, you know?

The ECU reads the Cat Code Jumper position the moment the ignition key is switched on, and that's it. For example, the factory provides a gray-colored cat code plug for low octane fuel. You just plug it in and go. The ECU coding positions do not have a learning cycle.

I don't know what else is happening with your bike. There's something nutty going on there. Something not IICE Air related.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Here are a few pictures of the more significant steps, with enough arrows and notes to make everything clear. I have a couple of more pictures to edit, but for now these should get you there.

Be sure to thank Phil (Wallowa) for providing these great pictures to work with! :thumb

Check the first post for links to more 1200GS install pictures from Geoffster and bracky72. :thumb
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412

</td></tr></table>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<BR>
  7. johnjen

Oddometer:
    Hmmm…

Have you re-trained your throttle to the moronic EFI recently or after changing the cat code plug jumpers?

Perhaps that will 'fix' the problem.

JJ

8. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    yep, it started up just fine this morning.

9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    it started clean this morning, so no idea what was going on yesterday @ startup.

10. BenFongTorres

BenFongTorres Banned

Oddometer:
    Only thing additional that would be nice to see is the "final location." Are zip ties required, etc.?
  11. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a piece of double stick tape and placed the unit on the side of the air box, about where the "final" is in the "Not in final location" text on the photo.

BTW, I did not need to remove the side cover on my GS (not a GSA). Just the two screws at the rear and pop it out of the rubber mount. Left the front screw from the reverse side in place. It's a 10 minute job to install.
  12. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Poolside will most probably show the final location and zip ties...a hint..I put controller above the battery so only the seat needs to be removed to change settings and it is completely protected there..

Also note the vapor canister was removed from my bike about 3 months after I bought the bike....the valve for that was retained. It is removed in the photos posted; it was slipped back on [rubber mounting block] to the bracket where it was mounted [see bracket in photo just below IAT sensor]...IICE Air wires were placed behind it and as stated controller zip tied to metal bracket above battery...pics will show this.

Plastic ziplock bag you see has my disconnected Booster Plug wires taped up inside.

Ps...Poolside did one hell of a good job adding graphics and enhancing the photos
  13. athistand

athistand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after about 100 miles of IICE Air usage I feel compelled to write about my experience.

First off, I LOVE my GS.....but i'd be lying if I didn't say that owning it has been a bit of a paradox for me. What I mean is, i love the bike, love the engine HP and torque, suspension, ergos, etc. But I have always HATED the injection management on this bike. From my perspective, it is so bad, that after 6 months of ownership I seriously considered selling it and going back to an airhead or something entirely different. I've had many bikes over the years....airheads, /2s, Hondas, Yamahas, K bikes, etc.....and none have ever taken an inordinate amount of concentration to ride "properly" than this bike. It is so bad, I actually began to question weather age and/or reflexes had taken their toll on my ability to ride with the kind of finesse that I think I used to have. I just couldn't believe that for $17,000 plus, the Germans would let something roll off the assembly line with the kind of pathetic rideablity issues that these bikes have. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Well the IICE Air seems to have given me back some confidence in the bike, and overall it is a more enjoyable ride. My experience regarding the Air is maybe not as overly enthusiastic as some, but it seems to have delivered as advertised.
    My bike admittedly needs a tune up. It is due for a throttle sync and valve adjust, etc. So that may have thrown off some of my evaluation, not knowing if it could be running better on its own, irrespective of the IICE Air.

Idle: Contrary to most users I haven't felt/heard hardly any change here. It still idles kindof burbly, tone or RPM's haven't changed, smoothness seems unchanged.

Starting off in first gear: Noticeable difference.....easier to ride away from standstill, feeling of stalling is reduced. As soon as RPMs get above idle it seems to be a more linear feel.

Slow speed riding, less than 2000RPMs in 1st gear: Improved, but not as much as I really hoped for. Still a bit snatchy if not perfectly controlled with throttle. Better, but definitely could still be improved. This was the one dimension of riding the bike that I was really hoping for a big change.

Shifting between gears: Improved, easier to produce smooth shifts, but still, not nearly what I would expect for this level of bike. Shifts are less dramatic. Snatchyness after shifting is less.

Torque (the feel of it anyway): I dont think the bike is more torquey, like others have noted, but it seems more "useable"....pulls nice and linearly from like 2500rpm out of corners, etc. Where as before it seemed a little like it would fall on its face a bit coming out of a corner.

Steady speed highway cruising: This is what impressed me the most, believe it or not. At 75 mph the bike was noticeably smoother and less frantic feeling. Truthfully I didnt expect any change here at all. I am really happy with this. As a sidenote, when the R1200 came out it was billed and reviewed as the smoothest boxer twin ever, with a balance shaft.....yada yada yada. Well I always wondered what the hell all these people were riding because my bike never felt anywhere near as smooth as most well tuned Airheads or other bikes I've ridden. But whatever.
    Also.....another thing I did not expect to see was what appears to be a measureable drop in oil temp. On any given medium temperature day, my temp is always exactly pegged halfway. Now, it is pegged exactly one notch lower. Thats great, obviously due to the richer mixture, and a most welcome improvement in my 100 plus degree Houston summer riding.

Popping on deceleration: No change noted here at all. I did expect some reduction in the burbling while downshifting, but alas it's still there as always. Sucks, but oh well.

Lastly, I'm sure it was just a fluke, but with the enriched mixture the assumption is possibly a couple MPG lower, well I have no difinitive proof yet as I've only gone 100miles but my fuel light came on at 234 miles this time.....I've never seen it go that long before lighting. We'll see after a few tankfuls. Improved MPG? Possibly ;) Sweet.

I will say that all these changes were really subtle, some virtually undetectable.....it was hard to really objectively analyze without feeling too much like a lemming after reading so many previous posts.

So in the end, I am happy....some unexpected improvements, a couple expected but not delivered....I'm cool with that and a satisfied customer. I can only hope the IICE Cool will fill in some of those gaps that still could use some improvement....I'm in!!

I can now enjoy my ride more:)
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    What setting did you use on the IICE Air? Since you did not mention it, or I missed it, I assume you left it at the -20 default position. Ambient temps?

Thanks
  15. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Go to the first post in this thread, and click on the other Installation links related to the 1200.

<BR>
  16. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    2 days riding to work and back with this gizmo on my R1100RT. It seems to come of the choke a little sooner but it's been warm so :dunno. What I do know is it makes the throttle less touchy as I'm splitting lanes. It's easier to be smooth now. Can't say I notice any difference while crusing at speed but then I didn't expect to. I haven't tried any jumper settings other than what it was delivered at.
    I'm looking forward to getting my GS back together and trying it on some trails with this thing on it. That was always a problem with that thing since it's geared so high in first you need to be smooth at low throttle inputs. This should make things a little easier.
  17. athistand

athistand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I left it at the -20 default position. I did try it in the 0 position for a mile or two to compare....its tough to do that I think....you gotta ride for some miles to get the full effect. Ambient temps were from 60 deg to about 75 deg.
  18. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    You are such a tease... is this a ploy to maneuver into marketing? :lol3:1drink
  19. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table width="650" border="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody>JJ might like to think so, but I'm into development. And I'm anxious to get back to it!

IICE Air development from way back in the beginning.

[​IMG]

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  20. Parrothead

Parrothead Cu Dubh

Oddometer:
    I like that! Can I buy you a drink, big boy? Hmmmmm?

PS & JJ, Can't wait for the next installment, really liking the Air. Ya done good!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.