Toolbox cover for R1150GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Oilhed, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    I want to replace or cover the toolbox cover on my R1150GS. The only one I can find is Touratech's which is back ordered again/still.

Anyone know of any other options? I know I've seen ones that lock in place just like the rear seat pan. Where they all homemade?
  2. tps

tps Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that BestRest has the covers...
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    No longer in production

I wonder if any shops or mail order places have stuff on the shelf?
  4. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the best rest one on my 2000. It locks in place and the stock seat mounts right over it. I'll let you know if I ever decide to get rid of it.

[​IMG]
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    Damn. I want one. Did you get the tool pouch, bag or whatever to replace the tray?

I wonder if they are one and the same since one is no longer available and the other is back ordered.

Anyone know the other thing I'm talking about? Like a metal plate that snaps instead of the pillion.
  6. SourKraut

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it came with a cordura bag for the tools since the tray is removed to use it.

I have the touratech metal plate that snaps into the passenger seat mount on my 12GSA but don't remember seeing one for the 1150GS.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I have a Bestrest locking tool box lid in silver I will sell. Email me.
  8. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I have the Best Rest cover and the tool bag. They stopped making the tool bag before they were out of locking covers. I bought the cover second hand and asked Best Rest if I could just buy the bags. They said they were out and they wouldn't be making anymore and as soon as the covers were gone they were done producing those as well.

Then a while back they made another production run of those locking covers and--- get this-- they emailed me and asked if I wanted a bag.

Of course I did. If works a treat in the place where the tool box used to be. You know you cannot use the tool tray once you have that cover on. But I used heavy ziplocks and then I found a bag that worked okay. Now I have a nice Best Rest bag in there.

There is an inmate here (well, there used to be) who made custom cordura bags whatever size you wanted for a reasonable price. He's made countless custom sized bags for other inmates and they all have raved about his quality.

If I can find the fellows name or the thread I'll link to it. Also, if you want dimensions for the bag I'll measure it out for you. It is oddly shaped but fits the pocket nicely.

Make sure James sells you the little keyring with a small allen key which unscrews that little allen headed bolt at the rear.
  9. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
  10. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    It looks like BestRest is making the toolbag again. It's listed on the website.
  12. SourKraut

Oddometer:
    Still use a ziplock bag with some dessicant packs in it inside the bag. My tools rusted all to hell since that space beneath the plate is open to the weather and the best rest bag is not waterproof.
  13. Qben

Qben Q

Oddometer:
    I've got the touratech one (with key, in perfect condition) I'd be willing to sell for $75 shipped. PM me if interested. I know its not a bargain, but I'd rather just keep it otherwise.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I discovered Colleen's was the Touratech $80 one. I sold it to CaptRick for $55 inc shipping. TT one has a real key to lock it. It also works with the OEM tool tray. If you remove your tool tray you open the area up to the elements so you need a waterproof tool bag.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Ive got one just like that, after a few miles of riding offroad, it broke the weak plastic hinge attachment point on the factory tool tray.

pretty ridiculous design in my opinion.

I saw on here a while back some one just had a flat plate put back there with a couple of D'suz fasteners, much better idea, and more secure.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    I guess that's why Best Rest used to make one with a real hinge. I guess good thing I don't go off road and usually leave the pillion seat in place.
  19. KennyCobb

KennyCobb n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for one of those toolbox covers if anyone has one they would be willing to sell.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I've made a couple of flat plates with 4 Dsuz fasteners,