Dakar Dazed - countdown to bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Sep 1, 2010.

1. ChrisB Kiwi

ChrisB Kiwi Where does THIS go?

Oddometer:
    I've enjoyed your buildup etc, so I clicked that magic Paypal button (wonder if I'm in the first ten?), so you'll have at least one package coming to New Zealand. I even organised the sattelite feed for Aussie SBS tv so I can watch the daily coverage. Go hard!
    Cheers.:wave
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - I have already mentioned it to the UK importers, who had quite a lot of input into their Rally Suit I believe...

As for Alpinestars, it's their 'Venture' jacket I like - I got the '06 version in black and red before I went to Morocco that year, and used it all the way up until 2008 when I went back to the USA the second time (on the Tenere), when I bought the same jacket again, just in plain black...

Here it is in red:

Somewhere in the Pyrenees '07:
    [​IMG]

And in black, without the sleeves (Moab '09):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then bought the newer version (which is basically the same design, just different shaped pockets and positions of the vents, and extra colour panels) for Heroes-Legend at the end of 2009:

[​IMG]

And taking the sleeves off is the perfect excuse to post a few more photos from Moab and the Rubicon earlier this year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Venture jacket (both the earlier and the later versions) has four pockets on the front, plus a couple of smaller zip pockets inside the storm flap by the main zip - ideal for an ipod and your passport/licence etc. A large pocket on the back to stow your sleeves (or a fleece even) - and ideal for the lunch packs you're given on rallies... It also has a pocket inside for a drink bladder, plus 4 vents on the body and one each on the sleeves, and a big one across the shoulders, velcro cuffs, adjustable waist straps, storm flaps over the main zip... goodness I should write brochures!

There is no thermal lining or armour in them (or pockets for armour), but they are designed to go over a pressure suit anyway...

For me they are pretty much the perfect jacket, and they are a great trail/travel jacket too - shower proof (but not properly waterproof I have to say), and I wore my black one for 23,000 miles all over the US on the Tenere, with just a windstopper fleece underneath as an additional lining on cold days...

Of course all this is a bit academic, as for some reason, you can't actually buy the Alpinestars enduro and MX range in the US... but then I guess that is what ebay is for?! x

Jx
  3. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jenny! I've been using a similar MSR Jacket- the zip off sleeves are a must IMHO. But the MSR doesn't have a pocket for a hydration bladder. I'll check out the Alpinestars. :deal
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    One other option (that I'm considering for Dakar too) is to use a Camelbak 'unbottle', and fit elastic straps to the clips, and connect it directly to the back protector of a pressure suit - that way you can just throw an MX shirt on over the top and you'd be good to go, although having a few pockets for stowage is always handy, which is why I like that style of jacket in sleeveless mode so much...

For info, I've used a Dainese Multisport jacket (pressure suit) for years, and have just replaced it with a new Dainese Wave2 jacket for the Dakar (a little treat to myself!)- it is very well made and a great fit, with a built in kidney belt and long back protector too.

I've coupled that with their V-knee guards, which again are excellent quality (and actually surprisingly well-priced for Dainese), and that will have me covered...ho ho. I particularly like the V-knee as it has a long shin guard (like a downhill MTB knee/shin guard) which means they still cover my whole lower leg even if I'm wearing my shorty Tech2 boots, which I prefer for trail riding and touring...

I love bike gear!

J xx
  5. SonHomme

SonHomme Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer:
    Do you know what dirty dog glasses are in your package?
    Also do you have a pic of your special buff scarf?
    Thank you

L
  6. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    After my crash last year I personally prefer to use orthopedic kneebraces that not only protect from impact, but also from hypertension and hyperflexing. I flew over the handlebars, left knee was caught by h.bars and snapped my knee ligaments caused by forward momentum. I'll never ride without my CTI Custom braces after that. I was lucky and got them by post-surgery doctor's prescription after some debate and advise from one of my mates who also snapped his ligaments. I even use them walking on the ice now during the minus 17C.

Doctors use Lachmanns's test etc. for diagnosing the knee ligament structure - and was the basis for my post-surgery prescription:
    http://tinyurl.com/346yv9l

They're expensive, and I wouldn't afford them without the doctor's prescription after my surgery, but ironically they would have saved me the surgery in that crash.
    However there are other, less expensive ones also available. Believe me, they're cheap insurance when sh*t happens.

POD MX K700:
    http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/R...N-PRODUCT-TEST-POD-MX-K700-KNEE-BRA-5422.aspx

Comparison:
    http://www.nextag.com/mx-knee-brace-comparison/shop-html

http://www.integratif.com.sg/kneebrace/cti2.htm
    http://www.ossur.com/pages/13230
    I ordered the additional MX-kit: http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=14552&proc=5
    [​IMG]
    http://www.mxdk.com/mxdk_Cti2_Custom_Knee_Brace.cfm

Welcome to the club! I'm most probably more ATGATT than you, but that's me in a nutshell - a geardo :D

You've probably been enough around in the dirt-bike world to know this, but given the fatigue factor on such a long race I'd personally go for something more substansial than the Dainese knee protectors - which in my opinion do little more than provide impact protection. But hey, it's your race and you probably crash less often than me anyway :wink:
  7. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Oh yes. :clap Off to see him live in Nottingham the weekend after next. :rofl
  8. orlando_orange

orlando_orange deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer:
    the magic button has been clicked.. paypal that is...

i will wear the piglet shirt with pride....
  9. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    One small and crucial nutrition tip:
    To avoid stomach trouble - use freeze-dried food from - for instance - Drytech.
    www.drytech.no. Then just add boiled water, stir & let rest for 5mins. - then eat.

[​IMG]
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39166315799

[​IMG]

Pal Anders Ullevalseter does, and with considerable success. Then you can use valuable biouvac time for recouperation more effectively.
    At his appraised lectures he always tells anecdotes from biouvac. Many riders and drivers qeue up for food and suffer stomach trouble while he simply boils some water and gobbles this mountain lifestyle food and gets away with it :evil
  10. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    a couple of piglet T's are winging there way downunder, go Jenny
  11. Richzrx12

Richzrx12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of your supporters packs is heading to Southern France - I'm the English bloke who was on the white Tenere you followed from the Heroes Legend prologue near Ales to the motorway at Nimes.

Been following your progress - Charley Boorman started his Dakar campaign telling himself lots of people would like to see him fail. At least you have the advantage of knowing how many people are behind you (in my case some way behind you - on the other side of the Atlantic watching the nightly Dakar reports on France2...) and want to see you succeed. Have a great time!

Rich
  12. ZORBA

ZORBA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another order placed, from soon to be bankrupt Greece... :freaky
    I hope all goes well for you and that you get the finish medal. :clap
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your going to run out of packs soon :clap another on its way to OZ. Good luck with ..... well everything, the race is in a beautiful part of the world with some rally mad people.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hey fella - yes I do know, and yes I do have a photo... I suppose you want me to upload them right?

Here you go!

[​IMG]

The black frames are called 'Sick Willy' (seriously), and the brown frames are 'Big Dog'... originally I wanted all Big Dog as those the ones I usually wear on the bike, but they didn't have enough in stock, so sent the Sick Willy too, which are very similar in shape to be honest - not quite as deep as the Big Dog, but essentially the same style. Both have Polarized lenses too!

I haven't listed them as separate choices on the website, as to be quite honest it would be a logistical nightmare (same with the Buffs below) - however, if you do have a particular preference, let me know in the message section when you order, and I'll do my best to make sure you get the colour you ask for.

Likewise, the buffs have been supplied in two different colourways:

[​IMG]

The red/black version matches my riding gear, the white/grey version (new design) matches my bike! - again I'm not able to promise which one you'll get, but if you do have a preference, let me know when you order and I'll do what I can!

As I say, I like both designs of the sunglasses and Buffs, and would recommend either!

Jenny xx
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Norway - yes I'm familiar with that style of brace (rather than just a protector as you say), and I have a friend who wears the Asterisk versions all the time when riding off-road - similarly after she'd had an accident too, rather than before...

I know a lot of people use them, and those that do swear by them too - however, I'm going for lightness and minimal restriction, as the temperatures are going to be searing in South America, and I'm going to get hot and sweaty even in the minimalist of gear - the one thing that fatigues me is getting too hot, so I'm hoping that lightweight armour is actually going to mean I crash less often...? we'll see.

Jx
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
  17. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    It's your race, so I hope you get away with it :thumb
    Personally I find the only disadvantage in heat is the use of a sport sleeve to keep the braces in place - but that's outweighed by the added safety end peace of mind.

Oh yes - you'll crash less than me all right. Simple reason: I have never ridden in desert sand yet. And while spectacular to watch I look forward to trying it some day with some competent instructor or other riders.

Strictly and realistically I'm not designed for that kind of heat. I'm more than happy with the temps up here in Scandinavia. Above +25C I'm mostly reduced to a pulp in the shadows, so I'm not in a hurry to do any desert races yet.

But riding in offroad/enduro ventilated clothing is OK as long as forward speed is there. I certainly don't fancy manhandling that bike like Matt Hill in Race To Dakar in searing desert heat :eek1 Up here in Norway that's OK - but I simply don't function that well in too much heat. ( I know the rehydrating & nutrition drill, yes ) According to Pal Anders and Annie Seel "speed is king" in the sand dunes - so I better kit up and start saving for such training sessions. Cheers :thumb
  18. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    A few things here.

As for Mr Boorman, those people who wanted him to fail are jealous. I'm jealous. The guy makes a living riding motorcycles for Christ sakes, who woudln't be jealous. He seems like an OK chap to me. I would ride with him.

As for JMo, rock on. I am pulling for you. I hope you get that finishers pin for sure. I get to live vicariously through JMo travels. I would ride with JMo and Piglet as well.

As for as knee braces. I know lots of people wear them, some pre and some post injury. I have talked to a few orthos who do not recommend them pre injury. It is a debatable subject, left to the individual to make their own decision.

Now, back to our regular DAKAR! programming.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hey Bigbore - thanks for your support!

In fact I plan to come back to the US next year and have a poke around in the mid-west, as it's a part I've not visited yet... if so, let's try and catch up while I'm there!

The little pink fella will be coming too of course!

Jxx
  20. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Compared to the elite riders' Dakar approach the JMO-concept - and some other similar threads in here - are very refreshing to see. Makes the rally-concept more reachable and understandable. Triggers some good motivation and positive project thinking here. All Dakar participants are winners in their own right :thumb

We don't have that much true offroad-riding possibilities here in Norway, which makes Ullevalseter's budget in the million-NOK per year class. He's an elite, well-sponsored enduro competitor here in Scandinavia and has to travel long distance to enter the Med rallies etc. to remain competitive.

He's said in an interview on TV recently that this Dakar cost him 400 000,- NOK, so I'm glad to see your more achievable project in its birth and completion. Excellent project, and an eye-opener in most ways :thumb