The DR650 Highway Touring Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by planemanx15, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Great to hear that! If he ever gets on the road I'd like to sign up to be his Man Servant. I could just ride along behind ... well out of view ... and if anything goes wrong, jump in to help! :lol3

More Great DR650 Travel reports:

Airborne Andy has a couple great reports, a couple on crossing the Darien Gap and his S. American ride. Both worth reading. Andy is an EXPERT traveler from what I've seen. His set up is pretty light and creative. Looks like he has everything he needs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792011
    Darien Gap thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627428
    Main Latin America report
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting around to reading this thread finally. I had planned on taking my DR on a 2 week trip this past month to the Smokies and Ozarks. Changed my mind and ended up taking the Tiger instead and I'm glad I did. Just did a 3 day weekend on the DR and I've got to change that seat out before considering longer trips. Otherwise I can actually carry more on the DR as it's set up and the seat replacement is the next upgrade on the list. I want to be able to use this bike for longer trips and it's almost there.

[​IMG]
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Rusty R With decent tires the DR will do the parkway at any reasonable (or even unreasonable) pace. I am not a distance road rider but I took my DR our on a ride with a couple buddies this past weekend where we did an out and back trip of 575 miles in just more than 24 hours (with an overnight stop). Have my Corbin seat and big tank. The other guys were on a KTM RC8 and an Aprilia Falco. I may have been the most comfortable of the three of us. While the highway can, the Parkway will not over tax the DR motor with good gearing. I have 5 track days on the DR now :D (4 with Motard type wheels)

Be sure to stop in for a visit when you ride by!
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got some sort of Gel Pad on there. I know many riders like the various "strap on" pads for seats ... but I'm not fond of them. For me, they lack that secure feeling under me and squirm around a fair bit. Very distracting when riding at speed through corners. Some riders aren't bothered by this at all. I like a solid platform, helps my sense of balance.
    YMMV.

I think you'll like the DR650 better on the road with a "real" seat. I have a Leather covered Corbin (firm) but many are happy with the other brands out there. Lots of positive reports. I've managed many 400 mile days with minimal fatigue. (considering!:D)

For long rides and ultimate smoothness and less vibration, the drive line on the DR really likes to be set up "Just Right". A healthy chain and new-ish sprockets really do make a difference. Also, new rear hubb Cush Drive Rubbers really smooth out the driveline on long rides, less low frequency grinding returns to rider.

I was also impressed with the effect my Pro Taper Alu Fat Bars did to the vibes when used with bark busters. Vibes not too bad at all on the bars ... better than stock steel bar ... even with Bar Ends fitted.

I have a 1050 Tiger too. Love it. The DR will never match the Tiger for silky smoothness at 100 mph, but if well set up its smoother than many non DR riders realize.
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised at how much the bar end weights contributed to the smoothness of the DR650. I took them off to put barkbusters on and a bunch of vibration intruded. Still running the stock handlebar. Since my DR650 is now my primary touring bike, I put a 16-tooth front sprocket on it and it is now smooth at 70 again.

This configuration...a firm Corbin seat with sheepskin seat cover...makes my DR650 the most comfortable bike I've ever owned...at speeds under 70. A big headwind or higher speeds renders it uncomfortable without a windshield. I don't like windshields, so I just ride slower.

[​IMG]

Got two sets of wheels, so I can go from knobbies to highway tires in 15 minutes or so.
  6. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I ride with sport bikes occasionally with the DR650. I can't keep up when they start exceeding the speed limits, but on a twisty road I usually lead since I get sick of riding the brakes in the tight stuff. In the sweepers, they lead since they like to exit fast with the stupid fun HP a liter bike puts out... :evil

The fun part is when you explore the gravel areas, the water fall trail heads and such. The DR650 with bags is so easy to handle, I don't miss taking my FJR onto forestry roads while camping. Once the sucker is set up for touring, it can get addictive.

My DR650 has much longer legs though, the DS lets you slide around and change position. I sold my other bikes, so I would vote for putting the money into the DR650 for the trip. Shinko 705's are great for long rides on mostly pavement. Seat Concepts has a quick and easy saddle solution at a good price. You could add saddle bags easily, with 2K to spend the Wolfman set ups would be easy to do and under budget. A $65 spitfire screen is simple to put on. The 14T CS works fine while touring, I tend to stick with the 15T when I'm doing lots of interstate. But it doesn't really matter.

One you get the DR650 set up with a wider seat and some wind protection it will tour great. They don't vibrate like other thumpers, with my Protapers the vibration in the grips is very light even at 80 mph. I ride all the time with ST guys, I don't get left behind. I really like having a big fuel tank on the bike, when I ride with my ST1300 buddy we stop every 330 miles or so for fuel. His tank is smaller than mine.... :rofl

I would put the money into the DR650, make sure the fuel system is 100%, clean filters, good chain, fresh mild tires, some bags of some kind, maybe a rear duffle on a wide rack etc... a bit of wind protection, aftermarket seat.... That won't even come close to $2,000...

My touring set up:

[​IMG]
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, I forgot that you'd be so close. (lovin' my shock):deal

Thanks Sage: Some good ideas here. I'm convinced to do it on my DR now. I got a PM from soboy, reminding me that speeding tickets in VA can be $1000. Don't need 1000cc to go 45mph.
  8. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I do better on the DR650 in VA, have not gotten a ticket on it yet. I think it draws less attention. On the BRP I would get flashed for 50 riding a ST bike. On the DR I can get away with more. :D

Plus, 45/50 mph on say 16 north of Marion is a brisk pace and fun on a thumper. Never seen speed enforcement around Marion so far within reason. I've been on loud and fast bike for years but, I do find the thumper very fun with just mild DS tires. I also have found that loud bikes get you noticed. I think even the gsxr exhaust raises more heads in small towns. But, I was sick of the stock exhaust.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seat pad is just a Walmart Coleman cheapo. I actually took it off last night. I think the stock seat is more comfortable without it.
    Put a new chain and sprockets on last year and replaced the cush rubber this winter.
    I need to ride another DR to make sure mine is up to par. Going back and forth between the Tiger and DR is an easy transition but the vibes on the DR make me wonder if I've got it set up right or not.
    Gotta get a new seat, no question about it. Didn't bother me last year but it is now.
    Got a great deal on the HT panniers and rack and it holds a ton of crap (camping gear all fits in one). But I'd feel more comfortable with soft bags. I just rode with them for the first time this past weekend and a few times my calf hit the can lightly on startup. I could see bad things happening with a foot down on dirt while moving. Just have to keep my feet on the pegs.
  10. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awakening this thread....

Im going on a big trip with my DR in 5 weeks, with my girlfriend on the back. She mentioned to me (innocently... I think lol) That my sargent seat is not comfortable, and she really wished I still had the V-strom for this trip (she still rides the DR with me, a lot). When I had my v-strom and before I had my sargent, I dry fitted the Vee's seat, and it fit...sorta. It needs brackets for the plastics, and to hold the seat to the frame, but it does look like it will fit.

Needless to say i took her hint and bought a V-strom seat on ebay for $60. Im going to try and fit it to the DR. As my DR never sees dirt, I don't care about being able to move back and forth, or the width.

I"ll keep you guys posted as to how it goes, and what needs to be done. If this works, it really opens up the DR to many other seat options.

PS: Forgot to take a pic this morning when I left of the DR with the vee seat on top... i will post later
  11. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I started to Work on the seat and realized why nobody has tried this.. It sits about 1 1/2 inches higher than my sergent seat. My knees are bent to the point that it does not feel comfortable and it forces me to sit about 2 inches closer to the tank. I could build brackets and try make it work but I don't think it's can work very well without actually cutting the Seat pan itself and starting from scratch. The Seat pan also hits the battery so I would have to cut out that part of the seat pan or lower the battery if possible. The seat itself does not look too weird on the bike, and actually fits it pretty well. Up near the tank I was planning on using the seat to tank mounting point to mount a small pelican case this way I can keep my wallet and keys somewhere safe.

Under the seat non of the rubber isolators actually touch the bike. I would have to mount the bracket to make them fit correctly. Under the seat between the bike and the seat, there's a large space were the seat barely touches the bike. I would have to figure out away to still that so that water and debris does not get in there at all.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow but without cutting into the seat pan I don't think I'll be able to make this one work. :cry
  12. rockohlic

rockohlic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    put a gpr damper on the dr and wow what a difference, can eat a ham sandwich while pounding the gravel. who wooda thunk? on the perkansville rd between jerome and williams arizona just thought the pic was cool. thats the bridge over the verde river.
    [​IMG]
  13. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was able to get my V-strom seat to fit on the DR, after a lot of creative work with a grinder. Here is a teaser pic:

[​IMG]

Im at work now, Ill explain the process later...
  14. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a worthwhile effort if you want a long distance traveler.
  15. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Really interested in seeing your progress and success on this seat exchange. Will do this to my DR if you have good luck. I have a extra DL seat and find them comfortable for long trips.

Thanks;
    TravelGuy

16. Gary B.

Gary B. Older than dirt...

Oddometer:
    650 or 1000 Strom? Stock Strom seat?
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some other things you might want to do for 2up touring on the DR:

- Lower your footpegs by adding lowering brackets, swapping to shorter brackets, or by cutting the stock brackets down. If welding, either remove the rubber inserts, or keep a bucket of cold water handy to cool them off between tacks.

- Lower the passenger pegs 2"-4" with some drop brackets made of 10mm-or-thicker plate.

- Add some touring pegs to your skid. Happy Trails carries these, but you can also fabricate some pretty easily.

- If you have a topbox, move it far enough rearward so that it's not a squeeze for you two to fit between the box and the tank.

- If you haven't re-jetted from stock, look into it. The stock jetting can make the exhaust REALLY hot.
  19. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, didnt think the reception about this would be big. Gary B: not sure which model, although I think they are both the same.

When I first popped the seat on, the front "bucket" was way too close to the tank, causing me to bend my legs like I was on a sport bike. Also the battery was being touched by the seat. So I had to decide, do I want to try and make this happen, and maybe lose $60, or just sell the seat.. I thought about it, and decided to go for it. The back of the strom seat has a vertical support on it, about 1\4" thick. I found a good spot for the seat, where my legs arent bent too much, and marked it on the rear fender. That was my first cut, into the rear fender plastic, so that it holds the back of the seat in place.

In this photo, you can see the piece in talking about to the left, and how much space is under the seat before cutting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making that cut, I marked on the seat where the battery touches, and cut that out from the bottom of the seat pan

[​IMG]

After those two cuts, the seat fit good. I then built a bracket going from the strom seat front mounting point, to under the tank (just like the stock seat). I didnt take any pics of this, but its just a "T" made from 1" steel and bolted to the seat.

Once that was in place, and the front was secure, and the battery wasnt touched anymore, I started to build brackets to go from the strom seat to the stock mounting points.

[​IMG]

I did that to both sides, and then used a large nut behind it as a spacer, because the new seat is much wider. As soon as it was bolted down, the seat felt as secure as the stock seat. I then installed the plastics, and saw the gap under the bike. I decided to use pipe insulation under there to keep water and debris out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is the last issue:

[​IMG]

Im going to get a pelican case tonight, (6x4x2") and mount it to the stock IMS seat guide. This way I will have a tank bag always on the bike. it will be like this, only smaller:

[​IMG]

As of now there is no rubber touching the frame, so I dont know how bad the vibrations will be. I turned the bike on, and reved it to 3500 for a while and it seemed alright, but still no front wheel so I cant ride (I'm not very good with a unicycle). This Thursday Im getting it back, so I'll mount up and ride my DR for the first time in 3 weeks!

[​IMG]

The bike will be completely different, new shield, new springs, new highway pegs\tool case, new racks and cases, cleaned up all the wiring, and covered it all with wrap, new seat, and new 19" wheel and street tire. :clap
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    cool. but vtsrom owners hate their stock seat too.