Quick Tune ECU software question??? Code recall??

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by smitty141, Oct 16, 2013.

1. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    With the Tune ECU software, will I be able to check FI codes stored on my 2012 990?? If not, is there a way to see the code/codes without stopping by the dealer??

I had a FI light the other day, I cycled the key before I counted the blinks. Bike has almost 10,000 miles and the closest twin dealer is 250 miles away.

Thanks for any tips or info.

Smitty
  2. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Yes, it shows the codes with a short description. It will also clear codes.

Wheres Hooterville? i want to visit. (from BoCoMo)
  3. Defaultgateway

Defaultgateway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, will work on 2012 990. You will be able to read/reset codes.
    You will need the adapter cable, a laptop with a USB port, running XP, Win7 or Win8, (XP requires updated .NET files) or a Mac running Windows emulation. There are specific requirements regarding the USB/Serial virtual driver, see the TuneECU site for install instructions. (Win8 will install the correct one, Win7 or XP will need to have manual install for this step)
    -->Check your batt. terminals, clean and tighten
    -->Remove headlight fuse to keep current draw to a minimum while connecting/connected.
    -->Use the key and not the red handle bar switch to turn your ecu on/off
    -->Best to have your power adapter plugged into the laptop and have the laptop charged before connecting to the bike.

There are several threads in the Orange Crush on TUNE-ECU that will help. You can download the software and look at maps without the cable or connecting to a bike. Make sure you download a stock 2011 or 2012 KTM 990 map and load it to see the KTM screens to get familiar with the menus, etc.

4. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better than TuneEcu site's 'instructions'
  5. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Hooterville is just south a Petticoat Junction. Or 50 miles south of St. Louis..

Thank for the info.. I'm running Vista and computer challenged . Ordering a cable today, will try to load the software tonight.

Any IT phone help out there???

Smitty
  6. Defaultgateway

Defaultgateway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. :eek1
    2. :D
    3. Find someone who knows how to install a Windows driver manually.

or...

Vista will silently install the wrong driver which will not work.(so if you see the text" let windows decide" or "let windows find your driver..." don't go there. You can guide Windows to install the proper driver from a package you downloaded prior to driver install if you know how to install Windows drivers "manually."

The proper driver is found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

The current driver that is Windows certified, aka "WHQL" is ver. 2.08.30

(What is WHQL? - a manufacturer of chips, in our case FTDI in Taiwan, has developed a USB Serial Port Emulator and makes the firmware code to make it all work. (a driver..). They pay Microsoft to test this code and hardware and the end result it that it is suitable for the many versions of Windows, has been tested, and is digitally signed by the manufacturer to ensure the source of the code is as advertised. Fees are paid, Microsurf engineers nod their heads, and the manufacturer gets a WHQL certificate. All is well in Windows World.

Hint: Vista 64bit INSISTS on only certified drivers, not an issue with our present case.

You will note that there are three possibilities: 32bit, 64bit, or looking to the right, "available as a setup executable."

Now, I'm guessing you have the 32 bit version of Vista, but how can you know for certain?

Do the following:

On the lower left click on the windows start button, on the panel find the "computer" entry and RIGHT click it, scroll down this screen until you see "properties" and left click it, the panel that opens will have you computer information, including if your windows has installed as "32bit" or "64bit".
    OK, done with that, close it.

So if you have the 32bit windows, download the 32 bit driver package using your browser and the URL posted above.
    (but keep reading)
    Ok, now you have the driver package, somewhere on the ADV site someone shows how to install it manually with pictures. Please refer to that. Manual is the "Let me decide" prompt on drv. install.....then point it to your package folder location.

You may want to know what I would do, I use the "available as a setup" download. Why?

Well, if you know what's going on you only want either the 32bit or 64 bit package for download, because the setup.exe version has the whole enchilada 32 and 64 bit packages all in one so it's twice the size. But it has logic to go and ask Windows "How big is your....computer word size" and installs the proper driver for you. :clap

Hint: For those that know how, block your internet so Windows can't find a "suitable driver" which will be wrong incase you make the wrong move....but not necessary, it's the computer equivalent to stuffing rags down your throttle bodies for safety...

Hint:
    For those running XP you must have the .NET framework updated to 2.0 or greater for tune-ecu to work.

To make this discussion complete, we should talk about:

Window device manager screen
    Setting the com port baud rate
    setting the handshake (what are the differences between none, harware handshake, XON/XOFF software protocol handshake)
    setting the parity, the rs-232 data bit size
    setting the stop bits

Perhaps another time.

Hint:
    Generally speaking, serial ports usually work with:

8 bits, No parity, 1 stop bit, 9600 baud rate, No hand shaking
    (this will be the default on installation, but we set/check all of this when needed in the devices screen in windows.)

Hope this adds to the discussion, I'm going for a ride.

7. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Wow, let me just send you my Laptop....Or maybe I will just buy a new one...

Thanks for the info, may try to get my IT guy at work to help me with this.

Thanks for your help and info.

Smitty

8. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smitty, what did you end up doing as far as using your Vista computer? I thought I was good to go when I received my cable today but now wondering since I have a Vista computer 64bit.

On the TuneECU main page is says software is compatible with Vista. Is there still an issue with the drivers?

From TuneECU site:

Computer: PC or Netbook , running Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1 (32 or 64 bit),
    except Windows8RT, USB 2.0 or better.) 1024x576 display and NET Framework <BIG style="COLOR: red">(XP only)
    Vers. 2.0 and upwards.
    </BIG>
  9. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smitty must be stuck somewhere on the C. & F.W. Railroad, halfway between the towns of Pixley and Hooterville.
  10. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    my vista laptop loaded the correct driver without issue. just plug it in and it will do the rest. i was freaking about it too. i origionally did just what i said, then read about all the other stuff i "was supposed to do", freaked out, had to hunt down the driver, and delete it. then i heard from someone else they had no problems, so i just plugged it in and tried again. program opened no problem and connected to the bike without issue.

good luck,

laramie :beer