EWS Immobilizer antenna threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CarbonCat, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I was on another forum and found this: LINK

Apparently there's a recall in Australia for the rings. Hmmn.
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    One Tech Manager sez doesn't make a recall...wish that it were true...if true it would hopefully open the flood gate and include not just the '08s..
  3. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think I've got it figured out. The new part number "247" will work 24 hours per day 7 days a week. The old ring "136" only worked 13 hours per day 6 days a week.

Thats why the errors were so random.:lol3
  4. DaveT

DaveT Irv Seaver Parts

Oddometer:
    from BMW Technical 2May8:

Subject: K2X (R1200) models all; EWS fault display in instrument cluster.

Situation: Motorcycle does not start. "EWS" is intermittently or permanently displayed in the instrument cluster.

===============
    Cause:

1. The battery was previously disconnected and was reconnected before the ignition was switched on for the first time.

2. There are increasing failures of the EWS ring aerial on motorcycles manufactured on or after 18.9.2006
    ==================

Measure:

In rare cases, the BMS-K or BMS-K software may not have been booted completely correctly when the ignition is switched on. A fully booted BMS-K always shows the gear indicator in the instrument panel, provided that the gearbox potentiometer in NOT faulty.

1. If the "EWS" display appears in the instrument panel and the lowbeam headlight lights up when the ignition is switched on for the first time after the battery has been connected, it is NOT a ring aerial fault. It is a booting error in the BMS-K. Do NOT replace any parts.

Once the ignition has been switched on for a second time, the EWS system functions normally again.

In the event of an EWS complaint, please ask the customer whether the battery had previously been disconnected and whether the fault occurred the first time the ignition was switched on.

2. Please carry out interactive diagnostics on the EWS system using GT1. Move (pull, push, kink, etc.) the line, or wiring harness, during measurement of the EWS ring aerial to the BMS-K. Check for overtightened cable ties that may have cut into the wiring harness or otherwise damaged one or more lines. If you cannot find a fault by means of interactive diagnostics, GT1 will 1st prompt you to replace the EWS ring aerial. Proceed with the replacement of the EWS ring aerial. Please do NOT replace the BMS-K.
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    So if the "EWS" comes on and the bike is immoblized and it is not the first time after the battery had been disconnected then the "aerial" is to be replaced?

So, we are to...replace the antenna if you get a "EWS" and the GT1 sez to replace?

Anything new here? Certainly not a recall mentioned in Oz...

Dave thanks for posting this from BMW Tech...
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Forget the pundits. Read what the BMW factory has to say.

From the 1200GS Technical Training manual:
    Immobilizer code data structure.
    The codes used during the handshake are generated from an Immobilizer Rolling Code table assigned to the VIN at the time of manufacturing. The BMS-K and corresponding ignition keys are encoded with this unique data making them an electronically mated pair for one particular motorcycle.

The [10 ignition key] code table [factory coded into the ECU] provides the codes for each key and a source for BMS-K to check the generated code for each key. Of the three [transponder] keys supplied with a new motorcycle, each one is uniquely identified (key #, ie: 1, 2, or 3). Each key additionally then has a unique immobilizer code.

During the key on sequence, the BMS-K first identifies the key sending the code data and then confirms the transmitted immobilizer code for that key. There is the possibility of a maximum of ten keys per system possible. However they must be ordered specifically by the VIN, and activated with the GT1.

Ten total keys can be used, per bike. The ten keys are coded into the ECU at the factory. Then activated at the dealer by the GT1 Diagnostic Computer.

Maybe the dealer is unaware of the EWS system capabilities. Maybe they are also unaware of the EWS manual override built into the GT1 software. :wink:

<BR>
  7. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Did anyone else get 3 keys with their GS? I only got one.

... and yes, I've already had the antennae failure.
  8. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Ok...first as posted here...I and most owners only got two keys. A "real one" and a funky plastic one. That nothwithstanding where do you glean that there is a manual over ride for the EWS? Would love that, but I only see that there are 10 assigned key codes to the VIN and they can be activated by the GT1.
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>You are starting to sound like an industry shill there Phil.

<BR>
  10. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    For a kid who grew up in Reno the word shill bust out a big smile! Naw I hate koolaid....

So PS what did you mean about a means of deactivating? An assumption if it can be activated it can also be deactivated? Hope springs eternal.
  11. buduski

buduski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I claim ignorance in this topic, but it would seem to me that the default value would be "no-go" or the famed "EWS" warning. Activation merely steps the system into a "run-capable" mode. If you deactivate the system you would fall back to default "no-go". I don't think this is what we're looking for.
  12. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just returned from my dealer and I told him that I was riding to Alaska in three weeks. First thing out of his mouth was "Do you have a spare ring antenna?" I told him yes and he said good because they have had a rash of failures lately. BMW knows this is a problem that is not going away! :deal
  13. JRMSR

JRMSR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone is un aware of a manual override. How could you mention it without stating what it is????
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>It is a well designed cash cow accessory sale. With plenty of willing buyers who see making a purchase as easier than confronting the source.

Plus there's some cost-benefit risk involved, which adds to the badass adventure experience. Roadside repair fireside stories and all that.

An expert stroke is to lower the retail price of the accessory into the sweet spot of the price vs. sales curve. You are just numbers in an equation.

<BR>
  15. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    This was on "Brake Line Recall" thread [sweet huh?]:

Originally Posted by LKYPHL
    When booking my '06 in last week for the brakeline recall here in Oz, the reception bloke said "Good timing, we've just received a new recall notice for the ignition ring antenna", which they replaced as well.
    There you go #2 !

OK, USA BMW Dealers is this true? Fact or Rumor?
  16. sspect

sspect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This past week in WV:

3 2007 R1200GS motorcycles from MA on a one week trip to ride WV, VA and more based at Snowshoe, WV

2 EWS Failures ( 2 different bikes 2 days apart )

I have a spare which we use on the first bike....the dealer we go to has none in stock for warranty, but comes through with overnight replacement in case we need another....great service at Hammersley in VA.

Second bike...BMW Roadside Assistance....Sorry you are on your own...we don't have anyone in that area under contract. 9 Hours on the side of the road while my buddies ride to get another from the overnight at Hammersley....can't say enough good things about them. Also I met some very helpful people in Richwood,WV. Thank you Four Season's Outfitters.

Yes, I immediately called BMW on North America....I had 9 hours... they were polite and agreed that was unacceptable...I have not heard anything back...THEY PROMISED....the letters will be sent this week!!!

The day got better as I pushed the bike (cooled down by now ) to the gas station next door...in case I got it started... which happened to have a faulty pump nozzle...no notice...which sent a plume of fuel over the bike...they made me pay for the extra gas on the ground and clean up. All the locals knew about it!! We road home through the mountains around 9:30 PM at which I had a close encounter with a large deer....very close...she will be easy to recognize...it says Conti Trail Attack on her left side. I have never been face to face with a live deer before....they have very pretty eyes...I wonder what she thought??. No real harm done...I really love ABS. The hot tub and the bar made everything better at the Inn at Snowshoe.

Back to Hammersley for the third time...6+ hour round trip plus service time.... in three days...for warranty replacement.....nice twisty roads on the way to Lynchburg.

Another motorcycling adventure....all in all it was still a great time.
  17. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You only needed 1 replacement antenna between the 3 of you.. start the bike, and then plug it into the next one start it and so on. It doesn't need to be there once the bike is started.
  18. Fr8dog

Fr8dog -

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 4 day 1800 mile trip. Had #247 installed after EWS failure...in April. 40+ starts! Maybe the magic bullit...? (all without a safety net!)
  19. sspect

sspect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the dealer didn't have any in stock and a long way to get there....I gave my spare up to my riding buddy for a warranty replacement. Knowing that we would have another one at the hotel in the AM two days later....overnight from Lynchburg....we were not worried. Who knew another EWS would fail??? The odds seemed to be in our favor. We all carry them now....especially since the price has been cut in half.

I am more annoyed with BMW Roadside Assistance!!!
  20. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    BMW sends along their thanks, and butters their bread with your annoyance.

<BR>