How long will a 990adv last???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dwj - Donnie, May 20, 2013.

1. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Cjdesign sells an oil jet with slightly larger diamater and most importantly it is shaped like a cone so rubbish falls to the side. The original is a completely different story. It has a larger diamater hole for catching rubbish to make sure there is some available to block the jet.

Further...... I met Craig and asked him why he thought my Rekluse might be shuddering. Oil jet! The clutch was also incredibly noisy. Pull in the clutch at idle and noise went.

Solved. Shudder gone and I've swapped Rekluse to new 990 and the older bike is no longer noisy.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  2. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Hey Donnie. Hell of a thread. I've been thru the gauntlet too. Shit, we don't need no validation. God bless the child whose got his own. Saludos, mi amigo, my brother from another mother.
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hola! :D
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the photos of the 27,000 plus mile fuel filters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think I could have used them a little bit longer? :rofl
  5. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got about 52,000km on my original fuel filters. Just got my new ones from gefr in the mail. Just need to find the time to change them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I knew I should have run them a little longer! :evil I did know that water had gotten in my gas because the right drain hose was kinked and it rained a lot on the trip! :deal I will make it a 20,000 PM on mine, plus carry spare filters. My replacements were from gefr as well!

Are you on the original Water Pump seal?
  7. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  8. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oil was leaking into the cooling system at around 10,000km. There were no signs of coolant in the oil though (no wavy oil filter). I did the water pump rebuild which solved the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was not leaking, but I changed the O-Ring a couple hundred miles ago. :D

I am thinking of changing the shaft and seal, but not the bearings. Mine is not leaking, but at 27,000 plus miles, I guess it is past due and I would rather not do the first one on the road.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still waiting on the Insurance Company!!! I have to vacate my house by August 28 and be living off the moto. Things need to get moving!!! :deal
  11. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 Guest

Good info here.....Been seeing a few 950's and 990's with anywhere from 25k to 50k and I too was wondering how many miles before a rebuild. Soon I'll be seriously looking to downsize from 3 bikes to one, and pulling the trigger on a 950 or 990.
  12. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't compete for the high mileage award. But I just sold a 950 SM with 32k miles. WP at 12k. Fuel pump replaced at 15 without having failed. Valves still in spec.

Now an '07 990 Adventure with 35k miles. Just changed original clutch slave for a trip to Alaska--had not failed. Changed fuel pump and filters with GEFR parts--had not failed. Valves had moved only slightly 1-2 shim sizes.

My spares for long out of country travel would be:

Fuel pump and 2 sets of filters, clutch slave, brake rebuild kits, brake pads, WP kit...

FWIW
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why the brake rebuild kits?
  14. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The brake rebuild kits are cheap and don't take up much space. And they would be hard to outsource. I have freshened up a few on my KTM dirt bikes and on the SM. The scenario would be one where your brakes started to get spongy and wouldn't bleed out. probably not a catostrophic failure but i am sure you know that. From my experience the KTM brakes are no more or less prone to brake problems than any of the Jap bikes. Never had a BMW but some of them have brembo brakes as do the KTMs.

Don't read any big problem into my comment--just my thinking as to the kind of travel you plan.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

OK! Thanks! :D
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the insurance claim will be settled today on my accident! :clap I need to get to ordering and fixing things in a hurry. :deal The sale of my house is finalized in three weeks and then I will be HOMELESS!!! :eek1
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need a right side silver Gobi bag like the BMWs use. Long story as to how I ended up with silver bags, so I won't bore you. Any way, I need a right bag or maybe a pair of gray bags at a good price. Anybody got something in good shape? Thanks!
  18. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Donnie;
    I'm looking for an update on the sealed rim. Still holding air? Need to frequently add air?
    Richard
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Richard!

The rim leaked no air for 5,000 miles, nor did it leak any when the rim was bent in the accident. However, they heated the rim to straighten it and melted the silicone on several nipples. It still may have not leaked, but I had a tube put in it for the return trip home. When I send the front wheel to Woody's in a couple of days to have the rim and spokes replaced, I will reseal the affected area on the rear rim. I was very pleased with the results. Probably the main thing I leaned is that when you check for leaks after the tire is re-installed, use a brush and let the soapy water run down the spoke onto the nipple area to minimize bubbles, which increases you chances of identifying a small leaker before installation. Two other things learned was that you really don't need the pointed applicator, it apply better directly out of the tube. And, the silicone seems to shrink quite a bit causing craters after drying. If you have a couple of leakers, when reapplying silicone hit the crater areas on the non-leakers as well.

Donnie
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi gefr!

Please send me order/payment details for a filter kit and a fuel pump.

Donnie