SW-Motech Mounts on a Tiger Tank Bag

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Stretch67, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a Triumph Tiger tank bag off eBay. I love the bag (nice medium-size, but expandable to Huge. Lots of pockets, clear map pouch, a pocket that zips-off into a fanny pack, rain cover, etc.), but didn't like the attachment system.

The bag quickly attaches and disconnects from the base pad with nylon quick-release buckles, and several square inches of velcro keep the bag from shifting around on the base pad.

The foam and nylon base pad is secured with 1-inch nylon straps and buckles. It's not permanently-mounted, but it may as well be. You have to remove the seat to thread the straps into the frame, and it's also a pain in the keister to secure the front of the pad.

[​IMG]

If it's that much of a pain to remove and re-install, I can see that I probably wouldn't remove it often to clean under it, and the paint on my tank would suffer for my laziness.

There has to be a better way.

Enter SW-Motech's gascap ring mounting system.

[​IMG]

I like this system, but not their bags (very few have a see-through map pocket), so I decided to use the SW-Motech mounting system on my Tiger bag.
    [​IMG]

I made this base plate from .125 aluminum. The box on top is so that I can recess the mount, allowing the base plate to sit as low as possible.
    [​IMG]

The underside...
    [​IMG]

Painted, with bag attachment hardware and velcro...
    [​IMG]

The finished product installed...
    [​IMG]

The SW-Motech parts are:
    RAM base, part # TRT.00.475.225 $38.00
    Triumph Gas Cap Ring, part #TRT.00.475.160 $25.00

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/

Twisted Throttle Ltd
    1080 Kingstown Road, Building 2
    Peacedale, RI 02879

Phone: 401-284-4200
    Fax: 707-922-7276

Office Hours
    9:30 AM - 6:30 PM (Eastern Time), Monday - Friday
    6:30 AM - 3:30 PM (Pacific Time), Monday - Friday

Cupholder, made from a scrap of one-inch aluminum and a plastic Jif peanut-butter jar.
    [​IMG]

Cupholder installed...
    [​IMG]
    I use a 20-ounce Coca-Cola bottle because they're more slim than others. I drilled a hole in a cap and made a non-disposable straw from a sixteen-inch length of plastic tubing. I bent the end into a 90-degree mouthpiece so I can slip it under the chin guard of my full-face helmet.

The insulator is a neoprene beer bottle sleeve. I have it attached to a retractable key ring. I once lost one of these on the road when a truck passed me and the wind gust blew the bottle out of the cupholder. So now I have a retractable lanyard.
  2. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    You're my new freakin idol Stretch :lol3
  3. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Well, thank you.

[​IMG]

:D
  4. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    Dude, you are like the "Mad Scientist" of motorcycle accessories :lol3

Can I schedule my tigger for some upgrades too?

:D
  5. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Heh heh. :lol3

Funny you should say that. I've been calling my 'BMW to Tiger' Jesse bag mods "FrankenJesses". :D

The name will be quite apparent once I post pics of the 'During' stages. :yikes
  6. speedjunkie

speedjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Genious!! Shear genious!! Very well done indeed! I may have to do something like that myself!

Mike