Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. yamman35

yamman35 Moto biker

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark, I have started to read your blog from the start and up to page 112 awaiting the outcome on your bike repair. I am lying in hospital with a broken pelvis after a bike accident not un similar to your own. So you were lucky not to be badly hurt Now i have all the time in the world and thankfully ADV to stop me from going mad with boredom. Back to page 112. Hasta luego.
  2. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave Sam It was over a year ago we entered Mexico together! Heading for "road of death" this am ...... Hello Kitty and I will miss you :) more to follow.
  3. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

Standing.... Um I mean sitting by.. :lurk Oh man :tb this is gonna be good.... actually it's all good.
  4. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  5. ARun4Your$

ARun4Your$ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you talking about ? You needed new brake pads ??? I thought you don't use your brakes.......:rofl
  6. ARun4Your$

ARun4Your$ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way, love the clean boots and leave the llama fetuses where they are.....
  7. GhostRunner

GhostRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good, Mark...Still following along and enjoying every mile. Can't wait for more...:ear

Mick
  8. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :ricky riding in Bolivia :deal but no internet to speak of. Will have a large update in 4-5 days.

Currently on the the edge of Salar de Uyuni :deal
  9. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Rock on. :thumb

Thanks for checking in.
  10. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

:thumb..................... :lurk Glad you checked in.
  11. 1TrackSam

1TrackSam Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto!:clap
  12. capeklr

capeklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waiting patiently.:wink:
  13. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto
    Ditto
  14. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Can't wait for the Salar pictures! Hope you get some good shots from there.
  15. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Glad you checked in Mark.......thought we gonna have to send out a search party.......there are lots of us who would like to go off in search of you.
  16. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    OK Mark, your kinda out of your norm, your one of the most timely people I know of to stayed tuned in, so I hope all is well, and just a lack of internet :norton

Beside someone needed to bump this back up to page 1:D
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Finally sitting in a cafe in Sucre, Bolivia and have a decent internet connection :clap Time to get updated on the past 10 days of my time in Bolivia.

I am always amazed at how much people carry on there backs. La Paz is at 12,000 feet or so. Look at this load. WOW.

[​IMG]

We spent another day checking out La Paz. It is a big city and had lots to see on foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we walked by a Kansas City BBQ. Jill is from KS. Had to take the photo. Too bad it was not open yet!!

[​IMG]

La Paz is on a large valley, spread on top, and both sides. about 2 million people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They carry lots of goods like this......

[​IMG]

Our last stop in town was a visit to the Coca Museum. Was interesting reading the history of the local use of Coca Leaves as a "chew" that had good effects for helping oxygenate the blood at high altitude, and provide energy. Then the uses in pharmaceuticals, and then in Coca Cola, then the UN ban on Coca and use of Cocaine ....

[​IMG]

Was warned the Gas would be an issue in Bolivia on two counts. 1) finding stations that would sell it to you (even at 2-3 times the listed price :huh :eek1) 2) that the quality and octane was very low. So I stocked up on some Octane boost. Will talk more on Gas availability in a bit.

[​IMG]

As we leave La Paz we will be heading here ..........

[​IMG]

All packed up in the lobby before heading out.

[​IMG]

Like all big cities.... you have to get through the traffic to get out of town. Sometimes it is really hard to find the best route out. GPS worked OK to get us out of town.

[​IMG]

At the edge of town headed for Coroico, had to stop at Police stop. They wanted to see my license.

[​IMG]

On the right road headed up higher into the mountains....

[​IMG]

Mike needed to adjust his carb's as the fuel mixture was causing him problems....

[​IMG]

Back into the higher altitudes ....... My bike is running great with just minimal power loss. Amazing riding at this high altitude for days on end. Nothing in the US like this kind of altitude on any road.

[​IMG]

Over the pass, and then we ride down this cool valley. Photos do not do it justice.

[​IMG]

Remember we are 14-15 K and the hills around are much higher!!

[​IMG]

Another control point, but we are waved through...

[​IMG]

We stopped for fuel at a small spot near the entrance to "road of death" sort of filling up at every chance, and have 3 extra gallons as well. Since we do not know if we can get gas and where they are..... They charged us 2.5 times listed price. Hard to know all the factors, but we were told that because of past supply shortages and visitors from neighboring countries looking for cheaper gas, they had rules that foreigners pay more or some stations cannot sell it.

[​IMG]

The starting point for the "Road of Death". It got its name because 25-30 people a year used to go over the edge when it was the only road. Now the other paved hwy goes on the other side of the valley so this road is primarily used by Mountain bike tour companies touting it's name and danger!

[​IMG]

Here is a glimpse looking from the top. It is about 30 miles or so down to Coroico.

[​IMG]

Been planning on this road since the start of my trip. But I also know there are many roads that have the same or more exposure. This one has the name.

[​IMG]

It is hard to capture the exposure of 1500-2000 feet straight down. If you go wide or lose control off you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jill took this photo which sort of shows the reality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just keeps heading down the valley....

[​IMG]

Sitting on the edge...

[​IMG]

Was a fun ride!!

[​IMG]

Some of the mountain bikers.

[​IMG]

One girl had dumped her bike as we went around.... They all get a shirt that says they survived the "road or death" Bolivia.

[​IMG]

Once down into the bottom, you arrive at Coroico. a cool little town.

[​IMG]

Up to the hostel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy Hector had ridden this and told us about a nice hostel. Hostal Sol Y Luna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike parking near the reception. Another big bike owned by Peter from Eastern Europe who is touring South America.

I paid 120 Bolivianos ($17.90 USD for a big room with Bathroom) Best bed I have slept on for the entire trip!!

[​IMG]

You ride up the hill and through the lush semi tropical area to arrive at a little Oasis in the hills.

[​IMG]

It is friendly, has good WIFI and great views. Is a place you could stay a few days!!

[​IMG]

and of course a place to smell the flowers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was a great day riding out into the rural area of Bolivia!
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    The Yungas is the area that Coroico is located. It is a semi tropical area it huge valleys that separate villages. It is about 180 Miles of gravel, rocky roads that go up and down from 9,000 feet to 4,000 feet. it is a 2-3 day ride depending ..... No need to rush.

We started the day having breakfast in town. We parked in front of the Majors office :) but were asked to move ..... We did with a smile.

[​IMG]

Then we headed south on some beautifully scenic roads... toward Chullimani, Bolivia. the large road to the left is the "death road" bypass, the small road to left is death road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overlooking the valley below.

[​IMG]

Road was gravel, fine dust, rocky etc. Switchbacking up and down the hills and valleys.

[​IMG]

I think in Chullimani, Mike and Jill Loaded up on some Coca leaves, and an older couple come up to talk. The have a daughter in LA that they will be visiting soon.

[​IMG]

They were very friendly and kind!! It has been an interesting time with people in Bolivia. We have had about 50 /50 with people very friendly and warm and others not so nice as I will talk about a bit later on. The extremes are interesting.

Mike and Jill with a fresh supply of coca leaves and some additives....

[​IMG]

The colorful local folks walking by.

[​IMG]

Through the paved part of town. Mikes Mapset and GPS were better at getting as onto the right roads.

[​IMG]

Was really hard to capture the sense of the vastness and beauty of this area. Trust me it was awesome. Some of the roads had all the exposure of the death road, which is why you read that there are many of these types of roads in Bolivia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful

[​IMG]

Not for the faint of heart!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in a small town for lunch. The best option is the Menu de dia. It was 15 Bolivianos ($2.18 USD) for Soup, Main dish of usually chicken or thin beef grilled + rice, Potato and or Banana's.

The soups are very good, but always have a big piece of ??? as a surprise!

[​IMG]

Every once in a while a sign. we were shooting to ride to Cajuata to find a plac eto stay for the night.

[​IMG]

Down the dusty roads we ride.....

[​IMG]

Was really great to be riding with Mike and Jill. Mike speaks good spanish. which helps in finding directions and figuring out options. Plus it really has made this part fo my journey great sharing it with these two adventurous travelers!! Thanks you two!! :wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads just keep climbing the hills or switchbacking us to the bottom to cross over the rivers and up the other sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopping to enjoy the views!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopping to ask directions.... Yes carry on. The road got real rocky as it headed down in this valley. Was wondering if we are on the right "road" but it hooked back up to another road later on that seemed right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is coca growing country. We saw lots of crops terraced up the hills, and also drying along the road.

[​IMG]

The roads just kept going .........

[​IMG]

Changing textures and road composites around each bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In through another town at the bottom of a hill, then back up into remote areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

every once in awhile we would pass a bus along these dirt roads.

[​IMG]

We arrived in Cajuata around 5:30. The only hostel in town was full, as there was a big festival the next day. Fortunately for Mikes spanish, the lovely manager Marta said we could stay in the large store room if we wanted for 25 Bolvianos (3.65 USD). She then found a bed for me in a shared room upstairs, while Mike and Jill stayed in storage room!

[​IMG]

After a long days ride, I headed to the local store for some water, Beer and snacks.

[​IMG]

lots of bulk pasta and grains for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike and Jill, Sitting out from enjoying the rest.

[​IMG]

The local kids joined us sitting outside ....

[​IMG]

As there was a TV set up outside for everyone to watch. Of course the kids had questions about our bikes, travels etc. Working on my spanish, and Mike jumping in to help translate as the questions grew! Great night in a small town!

[​IMG]

A view down on our bikes, and kids watching TV

[​IMG]

In the morning our bikes were still there....

[​IMG]

Marta the Manager was really nice, as she let us use her shower and bathroom instead of the "rustic" ones for the other guests.

In the morning she offered us coffee and breakfast. Fresh eggs!

[​IMG]

The kitchen

[​IMG]

Marta and another lady cooking breakfast.

[​IMG]

Chickens coming to check out what was going on and looking for food.

[​IMG]

Mike and Jill enjoying breakfast.

[​IMG]

Nice view out over the surrounding area.

[​IMG]

With our gracious host!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turning bikes around.

[​IMG]

Then a ride right through the main street that was in full festival swing. Lots of funny looks riding big bikes through the cross. Thanks Jill for the photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then back on the road in the morning headed for Quime.

[​IMG]

Some nice little water crossings.

[​IMG]

The terrain keeps changing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode into another small town. Kids were playing. They looked like they were having a great time rolling old Moto tires up and down the road!

[​IMG]

Just another day riding the roads in The Yungas!

[​IMG]

We are at the top of one hill, and you can see the switchbacks on the other side of the hill. Down 3,000 feet, then up 3,000 feet!

[​IMG]

Kind of sandy uphills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really spectacular views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More roads cutting across the sheer rock faces.

[​IMG]

riding the dusty roads!

[​IMG]

Then we arrived to Quime. Has a nice little square.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

found a hotel in town with Parking. Single room was 100 Bolivianos ($14.60 USD)
    [​IMG]

They had a monkey tethered to the garage door....

[​IMG]

It liked Jill.

[​IMG]

But as i approached.... Not so much!

[​IMG]

Tried to find internet ..... at the local Library. But no Wifi so it kept me from updating my ride report.

[​IMG]

Always interesting sights like this "manhole cover"

[​IMG]

The typical Bolivian Woman with her Bowler hat on. Not sure how they keep them on in the wind?

[​IMG]

and the local color selling all kinds of goods on the street.

[​IMG]

Including bulk eggs! None of the eggs get refrigeration at all.

[​IMG]

Another great day riding in the Yungas.
  19. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Great update !! :clap
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Hola Pablo! lots more to come. Finally got photos uploaded to smugmug and now trying to get updated.