Yamaha TW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cabanza, Jul 5, 2006.

1. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I bought on the other day. Bought it from a LEO out of Watsonville and this thing is beat up! Not very well maintained and UGLY! Could be one of the coolest little bike I've ever read:evil. I've already pulled it apart and lubed the steering head bearings... They were so tight and dry that I could barely turn the bars. Also put some new Pro-Tapers and Risers on it to make it fit me a bit better. It's a beater and I don't even care.... Runs like a champ, engine's tight and clean, gets around 70 MPG and it's whisper quiet. I'm keeping it and I'm e gonna trick it out in to a Mini-Commando Adventure Machine.

Camera was dead so I didn't start taking pics until I had the steering put back together..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I want another one so my wife can ride slow too.
  2. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Those bikes rock like jet skis, must be purchased in pairs for ultimate enjoyment!
  3. youthenrage

youthenrage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    these are seriously EVERYWHERE in Japan. I saw hundreds of them, all totally customed and looking SWEET. I wish I'd taken more pics while I was over there, but it was just overload. I've been wanting one ever since I got back.
  4. 2LBOX

2LBOX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Have A Couple Of T-dubbs Myself. My Thirteen Year Old Son Rides The Heck Out Of It On Our Property And Plans To Keep Riding It To School When He Get's His License. I Used To Ride One When I Was Farming In Idaho And Love It. I Am Going To Change Sprockets On Both, One Higher And One Lower. My Wife Is Going To Start Learning To Ride On One Until She's Ready For A Bigger Bike. I Love Them. My 12 Year Old Son Is Starting To Be Able To Handle One Too And Wants To Follow In His Brothers Footsteps As Far As Riding It When He Gets His License. Great Bikes. Glad To See Some Links For The T-dubbs.
  5. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    neepuk,

i am looking at replacing bars on my tdub aw well. are the bars u installed higher and taller than stock...if so. gimme a part#. they look sweet, just what im lookin for.

and, did all the controls slip right on?

i just did a 230 mile day on mine and had a blast. but only thing that bothered me was arms n shoulders, so i am thinking higher n wider bars will fix that.
    84.2 mpg on 1 tank and 89.4mpg on last tank. :clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if ya have the right mindset, big fun can be had on a tw..
  6. Streamin' E

Streamin' E Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I bought one last month for my son and I to trail ride. I absolutely love it!
    [​IMG]
  7. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    The bars I installed are much higher and wider than the stockers. In order to put them on you'll have to remove and reroute the carb/throttle cables, which also involves removing the tank. The brake cable and wires are all plenty long to function as routed. You'll need risers too. I'm using a Pro-Taper 3/4" riser that also adapts the stock 7/8" triple to the 1 1/8" bars. The bars I'm using are the "Woods High Bend" model.
    [​IMG]
  8. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    The TW is a blast on a twisty road too....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. rah

rah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after doing 40,000 miles on a 950 a TeeDub 200 came into my clutches. loved it so much i bought a 2nd one. yeah, a 250 this or a 450 that is better at doing most things if you want to do them faster. but a 200 is going back to basics. calm. cheap. chilled. brilliant. on the highway you move over to the slow lane and stop worrying about buffeting and tinitis. the price of maintenance and gas becomes irrelevant. ride up steep dunes at walking pace, if you get stuck you put your foot down and push it out. lift the bike out with one hand. put it on a trailer without using the ramp. lend it to anyone. teach anyone to ride. anywhere.

there are folk who have been 500 miles a day for 7 days on these things. iron butt without an offensive carbon foot/bum print. and they see so much more of the places they're travelling through.

a lot has been said about the tyres: yes the make the steering a little slower, they're not good for winning a motocross event. but they are good for gentle, slow rides through very sandy jeep tracks, impressively steep dunes; paths that tighten your sphincter on a 950 become non events on the teedub.

a few teedub riders mention the lack of power, shortage of suspension etc. imho they're all missing the point. it has as much power/suspension as it has and you do with that what you can; which is almost everything. here is a bike that, with minimum skill, you can use all of and concentrate on where you're going rather how fast you can get there.

lovely bike that comes with a free change of attitude, for the better.
  10. TheMule

TheMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well Stated!!

Todd
  11. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bravo Rah! Couldnt have said it any better
    "lovely bike that comes with a free change of attitude, for the better"
  12. tohubohu

tohubohu n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a 640 adv an d tried the tw200...
    Finally sold the KTM and kept the Yamaha, an amazing machine. And looking for the second one
  13. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I got a KTM and TW as well - but the 640e not an ADV. I feel ya - I have put 2x as many miles on the TW in the past year than the KTM. Much better around town than the big dirt bike. The TW is so simple, jump on it and go, keeps up with traffic, has a bigger bike feel/look and great storage with the crate ont he back rack. Most think it's one of those new supermotos? I guess cause the big tires and dirt bike look? It lets me use the KTM as pretty much a pure dirt bike - haul and ride. Have a camp out this weekend at the Scrub in Ocala with the Fleas (see upcoming) and will bring the TW. It will be the 1st time I have had it in deep sand. Not planning on any hard core stuff just a camp bike and with the TW the wife can enjoy the forest some on 2 wheels.
  14. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    How does it do on the road? I used to ride a sport bike but soon learned that they are nothing but trouble on the street. So I got a GS650. I love it in the twisties. Sits straight up and down and I can lean the thing way over. I can keep up with most sportbike riders in the curves. I want to get my wife something she can learn to ride on and the TW has sparked my interest. Since she and I will do mostly street riding, I want something that drives well on the street. Any comments on how it does in the twisties. I saw earlier on this thread where someone took it to Deals Gap. How did it do?
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey, this is a bike for a lot of reason, maybe speed is not one, but other than that is all good. I once started a tread and ask, WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY THIS BIKE? and a lot of people answer, here is the link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308724

Also, there is Turbo city with great customer attention, and you can buy racks and stuff for the TW so you can make it more of an ADV bike.
    http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_88

if not then built your own and you will love it even more!!! I want one!!!

Damasovi
  16. Streamin' E

Streamin' E Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's absolutely fine on the road; just don't be in too big a hurry.
  17. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take mine out tomorrow and see how it does on a frozen lake.:wings Poked over 400 ice screws into the tires and now just waiting for the sun to come up.:smile6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I measured 2.5 inches. Laid the tape on top of the turnsignal stalk, and under the tree bolt.

Whatcha cookin?
  19. jungleplant

jungleplant www.manracks.com mike@manracks.com

Oddometer:
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the OEM air filter part number for the TW?.