Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Testify
  2. Bráulio Biker

Bráulio Biker Brazilian Adventure

Oddometer:
    Did you photoshop this photo?
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    License plate removed haphazardly. Guilty as charged!
  4. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report!

Not sure where you are headed next, but you aren't far away from The Snake (Shady Valley, TN) and the Dragon over on the NC/TN border. Are you headed that way? Two must rides down there (just avoid the Dragon on a weekend). Rt 58 from Mouth Of Wilson, VA to Damascus, VA is also a blast, then 133 will take you right down to Shady Valley and the Snake.

Be safe! And watch the weather... I think some of those spots might get snow and rain over the next few days from that hurricane.
  5. Bráulio Biker

Bráulio Biker Brazilian Adventure

Oddometer:
    Every time I see a post followed by photos like this I have the impression that who is telling me the story is the Panigale, not AntiHero.
  6. shreddr

shreddr No try, do or not do

Oddometer:
    Anti, this is a great RR and you are an excellent writer. I'm not so sure about this bit though. To me riding a bike is a zen thing. It is a transcendent activity that I don't have to think about it, it's automatic. Going fast requires absolute concentration which makes the rest of the world dissolve, and you truly are alive. The physics of pitching a bike into a turn is like nothing else I have ever experienced, but I would guess stunt flying might be close if not better.

Interestingly enough, I am the oldest of 6 kids, and the next oldest is less than a year apart, and there is only 7 years between all of us. I always thought that I must have not gotten much attention after the 2nd was born, and it was downhill from there. Perhaps there is some merit to your limbic theory.

BTW the babe in the black outfit with glasses in the comic con shot was an 11 on a 10 point scale :clap
  7. Sgt93

Sgt93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bad :rofl
  8. ewaugh

ewaugh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you make it down to South Alabama shoot me a message. I'm short on room but if all else fails I have beer. /i might even be able to get you a photo shoot with an apache.
  9. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just chiming in for moral support.
    So everything okay with Sandy?
    Keep up the great RR!
    Great pictures too!
  10. RingGap

RingGap UK Expat

Oddometer:
    Late to the party but subscribed, dearly miss my 05 999R....!!!!!
  11. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I came back to Charlotte from Asheville yesterday there were snow flurries and very cold temps. Got turned back by a ranger on the BRP too. They were closing it down due to snow. Hope you are holed up somewhere and staying safe Anti-Hero, enjoying the report immensely.
  12. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sandy was painful, but I survived. Should have everything up-to-date this eve. Stay tuned!

Hey Reuben--we did the same ride yesterday! (I came from Brevard, through Asheville to Charlotte, where I am now.) 39 degrees when I left, lots of frost inside my helmet.
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brrrr.....

looking forward to the update, AH! :clap
  14. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lake that was tranquil/peaceful during the day was absolutely stunning (and spooky) at night--a perfect place to film a horror flick, complete with abandoned/creepy houses, sharp farm-instruments and the kind of still water that doesn't need an overactive imagination to project the image of Jason in a hockey mask slowly rising from the water with a 10" chef's knife.

(Always pays to be vigilant):

[​IMG]

In addition to the spooky visuals, audible activity in the wooded areas reminded me I was not the only creature to be creeping around. Some of the sounds echoed from across the lake, others were quite close. While shooting the first few frames (timed exposures) wolves began howling in the distance. No shit: wolves. I knew there were bears and deer, but wolves were a surprise. The first couple times I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. Then I heard more. No big deal, wolves love me (ha). And then screams started in the distance. More mind tricks? Nope--more screams and more screams. And more howling. And some other weird noises I couldn't identify. It went on and on the whole time I was out there. I continued to shoot pictures despite the distraction, letting my mind wander ahead a few days, when Mulder and Skully arrive (this is VA, after all) to find a trail of blood, torn bits of clothing and my camera with one final picture....

Minus the horror-show sounds, this was the scene:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While walking back a new sound echoed over the hills (the sound of a UFO tractor beam?). Then it hit me: Halloween! All the crazy sounds were coming from some sort of spookhouse out in the distance. LMAO.
    duhrider likes this.
  15. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is up Nitoroo! It is Rico from Tampasportbikes.com! Hope you are doing well.
    This guy Antihero is the man. Hope you have gotten a chance to read the full RR.

Antihero, great stuff! I would of freaked out to with all the strange sounds! lol
  16. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alas, I must confess my "ride" was in the confines of a mini-van, on our way back from touring the Biltmore Estate with my mother. We had a lot to ponder on the drive back after seeing what someone had chosen to do with $6,000,000 at the turn of the century.

Yup, following along with keen interest and a tinge of envy (okay, maybe more than a tinge :lol3)
  17. CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Dennis,

Coyotes will make some REALLY strange noises, that may be what you heard. Have family in Charlotte, let me know if you need a hand or place to stay? (its Randy)
  18. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wolves in Virginia all got jobs as lobbyists and moved to the beltway! :D More likely coyotes, but the screaming could possibly have been a loon. Will have to check Peterson to see if they get down that far south, but the call of a loon at night can sound like the most unearthly scream. Nice spooky post close to Hallowe'en!:clap
  19. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I needed to be a little clearer--the howling and the UFO sounds were coming from a Haunted House in the distance -- one of those pay $10 to have the shit scared out of you places in the middle of a cornfield.
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    no, I got it....I meant that if you hear stuff like that and it's not around Hallowe'en it could be coyotes or loons...sorry...I wasn't clear. Digging your report, as always. Where might you be off to next?