Sport Tourers; Where Art Thou?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Rider, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well my ride has a lot of home made stuff on it, but we fabricate for a living.
    I just don't see the large amount of stuff you can bolt on a large ADV type ride available for a ST ride.
    A Sport Touring bike already has most of it from the factory. People like (it seems to me) to buy a ride, and then spend quite a bit of time/money customizing that ride to suite their wants/needs/image, and the ADV bikes allow that.

DO
    Traxx likes this.
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    It was always a loud journo complaint; I quite liked the BMW switches tbh.
  3. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, my C14 isn't likely to go away - I really enjoy riding to different destinations. Since I'm not tempted to roll down a gravel road, its chances of ever ending up on its side are slim. On an adventure bike, I'd always be looking for places off the beaten path to see, thereby significantly increasing the possibility of the bike ending up on its side. I ask myself how many times would I be willing to replace OEM parts? That thought/reasoning sends me looking for a dual-sport bike, then I tell myself to go ride the WR-400 once in a while.

I'm pretty sure the majority of my riding will continue to be pure street.

:pynd
  4. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    One of the nicer things about touring on a sport-touring bike is that you don't tend to run into huge hordes of them on the open road. For whatever reason, they don't seem to travel in packs the way heavier touring bikes do. Ten years ago it seemed like you never saw a GS-class mega enduro either. Now completely optioned out mega ADV bikes seem fairly common in the middle of know where, oddly tho, more often than not they don't have a spec of dirt on them (lots of stickers tho.......).
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well personally, if I like my motorcycle I really don't care if they travel in "huge hoards" so I don't quite get how that's a "nicer thing". To me it would mean more cheap used parts available but mine are odd so no such luck.

I also don't see any problem with a ride not having a "spec of dirt" on it either. If some cat wants to spend THIER money on a big bike with a beak, and never hit the dirt, thay aren't damaging me in any way.
    If they are riding (dirt/street/tunnel of death) and having fun it's not my bizness, just good on em and keep it up.

I don't feel the need to pigeonhole every other person I see on a (different than mine) moto, but that makes me unusual on the interwebs and probably mo happier too : )

DO
  6. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep going to see the Ducati Multi and pa-roos the Cycle trader ads. If I ever bought one, I suspect it would be difficult to ride off-road for the reason I eluded to in my earlier post.

But, who knows.

My Concours14 would just share the garage.:evil
  7. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lebanon, Connecticut -- Good 'ol US of A!
    Here's the 2010 BMW K1300S I picked up last Friday. Cold here in Connecticut, but had to take it out for a spin. What a rocket!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It came with the Sport Luggage; 100% stock, and mint!
    Traxx likes this.
  8. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I like having both when I can, sport touring bikes perform better on pavement than the average DS could muster down hill with a tail wind.

I've chased ST set up bikes on a 950ADV on long trips through the various mountain ranges and had to work to stay with a fast rider on a ST1300. The limit was not power, it was the front scorpion AT washing out. But, my buddies could not loose me easily though, well the one on the old Blackbird could.

When things get well above 80 mph my FJR really shined out west cruising in a relaxed planted no fuss way. Even my old ST1100 cruised easily at 90 with no drama, can't say that about my DS bikes. Add real DS tires like TKC's and fast corners will make you pucker, but still grin like a jack ass...:rofl

The magazines are selling advertising and an image. I like them all, they all have their place. But when I think of a ST, that covers so much. But being 6'-3" I felt better on the big ones, FJR, ST13, C14. Great touring bikes, I'll take one of each thank you. :deal

Always wanted a K1300S, no money right now for such a gentlemen's rocket. Nice very nice.. :clap
    Traxx likes this.
  9. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the ultimate SPORT TOURER Aprilia Futura, but me and 4he girlfriend were in need of a little more room. Just sold it today and I'm going Saturday to hopefully purchase a 2007 FJR1300 from a fellow inmate. I hope the Yamaha can put the same smile on my face that the Futura did.
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I have an FJR... I think you will smile. :D
  11. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It better....lol
  12. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Well, I ain't makin' no promises, but I think you'll find the FJR to be a fun ride. And if you don't, sell it and buy another Futura. :D
  13. sagedrifter

Oddometer:
    Of the big heavy ST's the FJR is the most nimble IMO. The engine is great, very low upkeep and it is very durable. The shaft drive is stout, coming from a chain driven bike you will feel the shaft lag. Its not bad though, I loved the low maintenance.

On the 07's, look for the completed recalls, the ECU was replaced, the ignition switch, chassis spider ground and probably something else... The 07's had more issues than the other years but the cherry red was my favorite. I highly recommend a G2 throttle tube to smooth out the throttle. Some guys mess with the throttle springs, but the throttle tube helped my 07 enough. Made it much better in first gear hairpins.
  14. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. :lol3
  15. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno, what makes a ST a ST? If it's sporty, and you tour, is it a ST :D:evil
  16. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Do you cover your mouth like a Japanese schoolgirl when you giggle? :D

All kidding aside, there are times when I can twist the throttle on my FJR on a good road and I really do laugh out loud at the exhilaration. It's a fantastic bike!!!
  17. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    I have that same reaction sometimes. :D :ricky
  18. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see what you think. For 2up, the FJR will certainly be roomier, but I'd bet it won't be as much fun in the tight stuff.

Enjoy, and keep us posted!
  19. sagedrifter

Oddometer:
    Well according to the latest Rider mag the FJR is small and not exciting. So, yall need to go out and buy K1600 BMW's and ride a real ST. :D

I have not tried the big BMW, but I doubt I would give the same opinion as that article. I see no reason why they didn't include that new Gold Wing model in the comparo, they chose the largest and most expensive one, might as well throw the wing in there.

Then they throw a R1200RT in there.. That was a sorry showing of sport touring options IMO. Those BMW's are TOURING bikes. Where was the VFR and many others? After the stupid DS comparo Rider is just as bad as all the other rags.

What ST rider wan'ts the heavy bike, the largest bike? The FJR is not light in any way. They pointed out the C-14 needs a trip computer? Sounds like they need to test a Gold Wing and let it win.
  20. jrflanne

jrflanne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded my Caponord and Futura for a Griso a couple months ago. So I guess that or my Tuono will be my ST for now. Not really sure how that will work out but I am contemplating a ride to Michigan with either one.