My wife, the perpetual beginner

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by viverrid, Jul 15, 2012.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I can understand why many are recommending a simpler machine; to allow her to learn one thing at a time. It can be tough for some people to learn starting procedures, clutch operation, gear shift pattern, and situational awareness, all at the same time, and that all has to happen before she can even build one minute of seat time. Eliminating some of those barriers could allow her to learn one thing at a time well, and get some seat time.

For instance: getting an e-bike would eliminate starting, shifting, and finding neutral at stoplights. Getting an electric start scooter with an auto trans, would only eliminate kickstarting and shifting. A Rekluse clutch would only eliminate the clutch. The level of simplification is up to the buyer.

When someone mentioned scooters, the Big Ruckus came to mind. It is easy to ride, street legal, and can certainly handle dirt. All that is for not, though, if she isn't interested in a scooter. I totally understand, since scooters are not really my thing either.
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I repeat, she was the one who asked for the XT. When I bought it, I had no expectation she would ride it. The bike was for me for when I got sicker, but I didn't yet so bought another DRZ (I used to have an '02). She didn't want the XT being left to anyone else when I die (it would have gone to a son who rides, along with my other bikes, he would have probably given it to his GF since it's too small for him also).

Nobody "needs" to be on a motorcycle. We all ride because we WANT to. She WANTS to ride a dualsport motorcycle on dirt roads, which she has done before. If she wants to decide to give that up because she'll never be good at it, that will be her conclusion & decision, not me choosing to 'put her on a different kind of bike and have her ride on highways'. Instead I am trying to help her achieve her goals while I am still alive and not too sick to do so.

It's funny (again) how some people are saying for me to stop telling her what to do or even to stop riding with her, while others are saying I should make her switch bikes and ride differently than she wants to. It's her bike now, I transferred the title and registration to her (to get it out of my estate and so I don't have to change my will over an XT-225). It's not up to me to sell it and buy a scooter.
  3. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    She already did all that in '04 and in '08. We both thought she could do it again in '12.

Maybe the clutch cable intentionally out-of-spec adjustment will be all that is needed. She hasn't tried the bike yet since I just did it this morning.

If she doesn't get the hang of it again it will be up to her to either quit, or undertake a riding type different from what she currently wants (and different from what she can do living where we live now).
  4. Scooterchick

Scooterchick And then what?

Oddometer:
    Your're right. NONE OF THIS IS UP TO YOU. So, let her post her own thread about it. Be interesting to see what "she" actually had to say about things. And nobody EVER suggested that you "make her" do anything...I mean really, this is like.......

:dhorse
  5. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Never gonna happen, she doesn't "post". At work we print out her emails and put them in her "IN" basket. Then she tells us how she wants to respond and we post her reply for her. A lot of times we already know what she wants and an employee will answer for her before she even sees the message.

She doesn't "post" at home and has never been a member of any internet forum. I'm on here a lot now as I only work part time due to my illness. (When I ride now it can only be for a couple of hours on days when I'm feeling well, not all day as often as possible like it used to be.)
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you're like a chick.
  7. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    By the way, I'm glad to see in your signature line that you are continuing with treatment. My wife works with a guy who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 4 years ago. He looks better now than he did a year ago. :clap The doctors still are not considering him to be in remission, but quality of life has improved drastically.

I definately don't think you should stop riding with your wife. The goal of enjoying a hobby together is how this whole thing got started, if I remember correctly. Weather it be putting around town, or helping her pick up her bike with a smile and word of encouragement, its all quality time.:deal
  8. Scooterchick

Oddometer:
    Well, according to him in an earlier post, it was never about them doing it together....:dunno haha

sooooo, ummm....:lurk....ha. Next!
  9. Scooterchick

Oddometer:

:poserNow, THAT was bad! ha

I think maybe he meant how "everyone else" was responding to him...??

What did you mean for those who are not actually women?? ha

Wow......
  10. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    G'day mate, I've worked as an instructor since '99, (I'm not offering my services, I'm on the other side of the planet:D) sorta like an ozzie MSF instructor.

We had a few current model xt 225's in the fleet and currently use scorpio 225's - same engine in a road bike.
    [​IMG]

We'll I've show you mine, feel free to post up a pic of yours!

By adjusting the clutch like you have it often makes it easier for people with shorter fingers to use the clutch as the friction zone is in the middle of the range of movement of their fingers, but also the amount of leverage the lever has over the cable changes and will make the friction zone seem a little wider which usually helps too.

Often people that ride off road (myself included, and perhaps yourself) have their levers set down low so they are comfortable to use when riding standing up. But having the levers set low like that can make it hard for novices with shorter fingers, having them close to horizontal with the handlebar is what I've found is best for novices.
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't waste your time...the guy doesn't want any advices. He knows everything, his wife knows what she wants, everyone's happy.

END OF THREAD
  12. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    The levers on her bike are horizontal for road. She does know how to stand up but doesn't need to very often now that she's not doing trail.

I was hoping she'd try out the new adjustment tonoght but it's really hot here and she jsut didn't feel like it. Hot & tired. Says she'll try tomorrow after she gets back from a board meeting.

But we had our little amusement. I get tired easily due to my illness and had stayed out at the office too long. I was really dragging too, and realized that I'd left my bike's keys in the ignition, with the bike out in the shed. I asked her if she would please go get them for me since I was tired.

She'd already started to tke her clothes off but said okay. there was set of Ugg boots near the door so she set out for the shed in the Uggs and bottomless. It looked pretty funny to see her walking up the driveway that way, especially with the Ugg boots (I told you we lived in a rural area). So that was our adventure.

BTW, she came back and said the keys weren't there. She said she even looked on the table that's outside the shed. I turned my gear, helmet, gloves upside down and inside out, looked everywhere in the house, couldn't find them. So this time I went out to the shed, and there they were just where I thought they'd be. Turns out my wife had walked past the bike they were in (which was hot) to look at a different bike that's in there, which was cold.
  13. Scooterchick

Oddometer:

That's what I'm sayin....ha. :dhorseIt's like beating a dead horse.

MoveON.org. Like he said, he didn't ask us!
    :*sip*
  14. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Yup :nod or move it to JM where replies will be more direct :rofl

and I can ask more important questions like ....

How does someone survive in an office job these days if they can't manage emails :huh or at least post to facebook :huh

My mind is boggled
  15. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sometimes. Maybe that's why I don't need to start posts desperately seeking dating advice.
  16. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Right pal, any thread that doesn't call for YOU telling the OP what to do is useless. Who is it again who thinks he knows everything? Remember, the internet only exists for YOU to tell people what they should do.

In the meantime we're waiting for her to try out the new clutch arrangement, that may just take care of that issue. She's ridden 3 other bikes (XR-80, DR-200, TTR-125L) without having difficulty with the clutch so perhaps there is some other factor, and some other answer, than 'switch to a scooter, it doesn't have a clutch'.

But noooo, a scooter is the answer to EVERYTHING. If everyone would only ride one, we'd have whirled peas.
  17. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude...you'll have to understand that you're on a PUBLIC forum...not in front of your mirror.

Think about it the next time you'll like to start a monologue.
  18. Tirespin

Tirespin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    viverrid, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a tough spot to be in. I think it's great that the two of you spend time together doing something you love, even while you each face challenges with it.

I'm not sure why folks are turning hostile about your thread. FWIW, I think the recluse is a good idea, but I won't be po'd if you don't agree or don't want the advice. Other than that, my advice is, keep it fun for both of you, it's not supposed to be work.

I'll just add - FUCK CANCER.
  19. Scooterchick

Oddometer:
    Good sound advice, SgtDuster. Not that he asked any of us for any..:huh.

:ear
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many of these people described are blondes? Stroke survivors? Blonde stroke survivors?

My point being...These people are licensed to operate a cage on public roads?

My unwanted advice? 'Time to put on their big-girl panties and stop crying. Move to Germany for a few years. They'll either have to get somewhat proficient at operating their machinery or they won't be allowed to do it on a public road. Period.

Necessity breeds proficiency.

They're endangering themselves and others by not putting in the time and effort necessary to develop the proficiency needed to be safe in traffic.