F800GS top speed

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 27, 2010.

1. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should really demo one and find out for myself, but will ask anyway.

What is the top speed with the factory tires on pavement?

Does this bike cruise well at 80-85 mph for long streches on the highway?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wimped out at 185 kph, and there was a little left to give. I'm sure it'd break 200, and may even go 220. Vibes are definately noticeable at higher speed (obviously RMP related...)
  3. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    No prob cruising at 80-85 mph with stock wheels. Gets over 100 fairly easy.
  4. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the 0-100kph speed is, and more imortantly, what it compares to in performace car terms?

In other words, is is similar to a Porche, or Big merc, etc. Just for fun, would be nice to know!:deal
  5. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Hey Toro, I didn't realize you were a member here too.

I love the F800GS, but those KTM 950/990 Adventures are cool too. I went riding with a friend who has one, and he was fast! I'd like to see a comparison between the Beemer and the KTM's.
  6. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    3.8, not bad!:thumb
  7. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I was headed out for a weekend trip several weeks ago and was supposed to meet a riding buddy about 50 miles from home.

This 50 miles was all freeway and I was running late and pushing it pretty hard. It was early on a Saturday morning and there was very little traffic on the freeway but at one point I needed to pass a couple of semi's running along together at about 75 mph.

I was probably doing about 85 when I came upon them and since I do not like to ride along beside semis I just went WOT and passed them pretty quickly and never thought any thing about it.

When I got to the meeting point I checked the stats on my GPS and it said my top speed had been 111 mph (180 kph). This was without pushing and I never noticed the bike running out of power at all.
  8. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to highjack, but semi-related. Once I get to around 80-90 I often get a high speed wobble in the front end. Not a fast vibration, but a wobble. Is this normal for these bikes, or do you think it could be something like my tire? I'm running a TKC80 by the way...

For this reason I have not been comfortable topping it out or I would be able to chime in on the OP's question.
  9. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've not had that although I don't like going fast in a crosswind on the F800GS; seems to lighten the front end.

I've cruised at 82 mph (speed limit in France) all day without a hiccup. Took it to 100 mph to say I had and it seemed very comfortable.
  10. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I like the 990's also, but there is something about the F800 that make me like it more. The fact that a BMW dealer is so close to me make it more attractive.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try reducing rear preload and increasing rebound dampening.
  12. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're refering to a head-shake, i would make sure the front tire is at the correct psi first. Then I would let someone who knows how to set up the suspension reset yours with all the gear that you normally ride with.
  13. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be normal for the TKC80. It's one of the things that really bothered me about the TKs. If you are riding mostly pavement, the Battlewings that came with the bikes are good at any speed. I have now just made the comprimise with Heidenaus. No more front end wobble.
  14. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:

~210km/h indicated.

yes, but fuel consumption goes up considerably.
  15. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Same exact things happens to me. Put the battle wings back on for a bit, no wobble at all. Wish I had some K60's to try.
  16. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses guys.
  17. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    And normal for the Mitas E09 Dakars as well....I know after 130kph-ish the front end gets light and squirrelly. I suspect it will happen will most knobbie tires.

As for top speed 200Kph no problem with stock tires ( Anakees)...:D but not on knobbies....that's would be scary without a steering stabalizer...

YMMV, but shifting at redline or red light flashing at you on my F8!:D

1st gear - 90Kph at Redline
    2nd gear -120Kph at Redline
    3rd gear - 140Kph at Redline
    4th gear - ???
    5th gear - ???
    6th gear - ???

??? means haven't done it yet with the knobbies on. To squirrelly to try!
  18. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I do really like the look of the F800, but I've heard some worrying things about the suspension. I don't know if it's still the same, but I read somewhere that the fork isn't adjustable, and comes set with the compression to harsh. I'm gonna have to go back in there and check it out sometime, and maybe talk to one of the Beemer guys instead of the Harley guys.
  19. klarue

klarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... of 90-95mph on So Cal freeways. "Just keepin' up with the coffins!" :huh

It should be noted that quick downshifts from 6th gear to 5th at speed, followed by an assertive twist of the right wrist, produces ear-to-ear grins and sweet passing mobility. :evil
  20. hyak107

hyak107 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top speed I've seen posted in reviews is 125 MPH. Mine came with Anakees, I've had it up to 109 MPH while passing a string of cars. No stability issues at all, and she had plenty more speed left. Cruising at 80-85 isn't an issue either, that's my normal range.