Dirt Roads close to Home

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SavannahCapt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    By 1pm today it was in the mid 50's and sunny. :1drink I went for a little ride mostly on dirt roads close to home. By 3pm I was back at the house and it was 68. The roads were recently graded and It rained a few days ago, so the sand roads near here were just about perfect. Fairly well packed down. The red clay areas weren't as dry and a little trickier but not really bad at all. So here are a few pics from Screven and Bulloch Counties, GA
    Beaver Road
    [​IMG]

Crossed the Ogeechee River at Rocky Ford.
    [​IMG]

Continued on to Ponderosa Road.

[​IMG]

I took a side road off Ponderosa and Whoa! What was that in the edge of the woods?

[​IMG]
    I'm not saying I heard the distant sound of banjo music. Or, the faint odor of a meth lab in operation. But it was sort of creepy

Moving on. All of the cotton hasn't been picked yet.

[​IMG]

I just liked this tree. Many of the hardwoods have been replaced with pines.

[​IMG]

An old house in the woods.

[​IMG]

Nice old Church where I stopped for a snack.

[​IMG]

There was only one grave here. Didn't expect to find a revolutionary war veteran's grave out here.

[​IMG]

Another abandoned tenent house.

[​IMG]

Almost home, Stoopto Road.

[​IMG]

We don't have the best riding in South Georgia, but the season is long. :wink:
    branthopolis likes this.
  2. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report, looks like some fun places to explore. The Ronald MacDonald is more than a little creepy. Style points added for being a KLR pilot...
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos and that Ronald McDonald santa clown in the woods is freaking great. :eek1

I'd be drawn back there endlessly I'm afraid.
  4. Ernbo6

Ernbo6 Iron Butt Association No 48951 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the pics and your comments. There are many great dirt roads out there and although south Georgia is relatively flat,... it's still great to be out there. Thanks for posting. :clap
  5. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    "What did John Wayne Gacey do with Santa Claus?"
  6. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there's a strange attraction there. Probably wouldn't do it on a Silent Night though.
  7. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was a good day to be out. It's more fun to be riding in south Georgia than reading about riding in some exotic place, though I enjoy both.
  8. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy is still there. The chain could be a trick to get someone to come closer. .

[​IMG]
  9. ssmschulz

ssmschulz Sherpa Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not veer to close. Ronald McDonald is the most creepy icon of the century. Out there in the middle of those woods, I would suspect only bad things happening in those parts. Run as fast (ride as fast) as you can.[/QUOTE]

:eek1:eek1 Dead end road, if you run/ride the wrong direction, he'll be waiting for you when you return.
  11. wvboy

wvboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to follow you sometime, Liberty county dirt roads are few and far between and usually short.
  12. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:

If you don't mind following an old man. :D There are actually quite a few near here. Very tricky (for me) if it is too dry or too wet. 2-3 days after a rain is great. Sorry for the late response, I'm on a little tour, Al, MS, TN. In Nashville at the moment. PM me some time.
  13. wvboy

wvboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might follow waaaaaay behind :rofl

I can ride rain or shine, I don't like roads without trees on a hot day :eek1

Good luck on your trip.
  14. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple of dirt road shots from a short ride today.

South Fork Road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short ride today, backroads to Scarboro Landing and back (some folks would say all of the roads near my house are backroads :rofl

Paramore Hill Road
    [​IMG]

Paramore Hill Road. To the left of the bike through the brush about 20 yards is the railroad, Sherman"s boys had a good time tearing up and bending the rails, they camped about 100 yards to the right.
    [​IMG]

Scarboro Landing
    [​IMG]

Old Bridge

[​IMG]

Artesian Well in the background
    [​IMG]

Artesian Well
    [​IMG]

Beautiful Afternoon in South Georgia
  16. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    SavannahCapt- I need to meet up with you sometime and do some ridin'. I just moved to Savannah and got out for the first time this past weekend. Here are some shots from my maiden voyage here on the coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great little blog going here. Savannah brings back strong memories for me. I did my advance flight training at Hunter. After nam I came back as a flight instructor. I had a brand new Honda CL450 and a Porsche 914 from my flight pay.

I met an incredibly beautiful young woman at Savannah Beach :tb. It was August and she was sunning in her beach chair reading a book. I drove by a couple times, parked and got out and stood there gazing at her. After a few, she tilted her head down and looked at me over her sun glasses... Then she smiled...I was a goner :raabia. Turns out she was a student at Armstrong State. I lived in an apartment a couple blocks away. Abersomething Blvd or like that.

The four of us had one HAWT few months together! Me; the stunning beach girl, and my two fun mobiles. She was 20 and I was 22. I remember every inch of her. I bet she does me too...Dang! :knary

I remember some of those dirt roads too, but not quite so vividly. The Honda wasn't quite up to them when the weather came. Not the sand either. It wasn't long before I traded that thing for a Yamaha Enduro. Much better!

Thanks for the memories. I'll stop in from time to time.
  19. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    [
    Thanks for the memories. I'll stop in from time to time.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply. I'm about 65 miles inland, but kept a boat at Thunderbolt for many years. I used to stay aboard 4 days then go up in the country for 3. Stay mostly at the house now but visit Savannah often, Its still one of my favorite cities.
  20. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer: