Tractionator desert H/T 80mph max

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Eldon, Feb 17, 2013.

1. stevodadevo

stevodadevo What happened?

Oddometer:
    Here is a Tractionator after 2,500 miles in Baja on a 990. These tires are tough.

[​IMG]
    Cafeducati likes this.
  2. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 1600+ mile Baja trip. No flats. Ran about 26 psi in front on SE. No rim dings. Plenty of tread left, especially on front. Rear, not so bad either. 2/3 offroad. As others have stated, the front headshake gets better after the tire has worn in. I took my bike up to 113 indicated mph on pavement toward the end of trip. Bike wandered and wasn't comfy but no way would I have gone that fast when the tires were new.

Was very impressed with the tires offroad. The rear gave better traction than any tire I've ever had on a big bike. Dug in and pulled through silt and sand very well. The front was really good when turning in the sand too. No crashes and only a few dabs on the entire trip. I rode fairly conservatively, for me, until I was sure the tires would have enough life to get me home then started spinning up the rear more. Rear tire could easily go another 500 miles. Front probably another 1,000 to 1,500 miles.

My take: The rear is a great tire. The front is not so nice on pavement. Offroad these tires are both super.
    Cafeducati likes this.
  3. stevodadevo

stevodadevo What happened?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! I'm glad I chose the Tractionators.
  4. sama3033

sama3033 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from my shop, trying to mount a Desert 140/80/18 and it would NOT seat on my 4.25" rim - how did you guys get yours on (and stay on)?
  5. Brokein2

Brokein2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just mounted one yesterday on a stock 990 rim......lube and 80 psi was required to fully seat it. :eek1 No different than any other stubborn tire.
  6. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    So,, if it takes 80lbs to seat, what happens if you get a flat out in the bush? I use the C02 puffer to fill mine if I have to... 80 would need more cats than I usually carry..

Dave
    Cafeducati likes this.
  7. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best advice I've heard?

Lube it, fill it to the right pressure, then ride it. It'll pop on.
  8. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You ride it. I could not get a front to seat after fixing a flat and had to ride it 90 miles to get to somewhere with a compressor. With it being a pita to seat and the most unpredictable tire when pushed I took front and rear off before they were used up. Its the first time I've ever not worn a tire bald before they went in the garbage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  9. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tractionator Desert HT 90/100/21's have a speed/load rating of 57R = About 160 K's and 230Kgs Or 100 Mph and 500 Lbs.

http://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-desert-ht/

I'm happy with the Tractionator Adventure rear but the front just does not work my bike, 950SE. I'm about to try the Tractionator Desert HT 90/100/21. These things any good on the slab and in the wet?
  10. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    After positive reports of their durability at speed I ended up running the Desert HT front and rear several times through Baja. I think it's the best aggressive tire for the price. Since your running SE rims which are narrower than Adventure rims, the tires wI'll work that much better (better profile when mounted) They are really noisy on pavement. As for their wet traction, they're scetchy at best. I just took it easy on wet pavement.

P.S. I've done sustained 95mph for 1.5 hours with no ill effects on the tires.
    Drwnite likes this.
  11. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Eldon, I don't do much wet riding but it's worth the ask and I tour at 70 - 90 Mph on the slab considerably more when rounding up road trains. My dilemma is finding a decent all round front tyre. Not the easiest task I know! I like a scratch in the hills where possible, the Mitas, Mefo and the Heidenau's do a good job on that front but inadequate on the dirt. The MT21 was a good off road but couldn't get enough lean in the paved twisties, gave the D606 away ughhh! I had high hopes for the Motoz TA's but the front is a death trap! Now I'm looking at all sorts of things, including the Tractionator Desert, Kenda Enduro K270, IRC TR8, TKC80 ect ect! I'll get there one day I guess.
  12. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    As you know, it's all a compromise. You can drag a peg on pavement in the corners with a TKC 80 but the sidewalls are way too soft for high speed offroad. 35 psi and I was still denting rims.
    The Tractionator Desert HT is definitely worth a try. A front tire is cheaper than a oil change...
    I'd also be interested in the Goldentyre 216AA 4ply but I lean more twards off road performance when tire shopping.
    Cafeducati likes this.
  13. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had mine up to 200kph a few times on pavement bu only for 5 km at at a time or so wit no problems on my SE
    Drwnite likes this.
  14. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    When I had my ADV, I was a fan of the Scorpion Rally front coupled with the Motoz H/T rear. Worked very offroad, and the front had more than sufficient grip on road when compared with the H/T rear. Would get 2-3 rears per front tire. Since the SE though now has the narrow rims, it's been getting the race takeoffs from the 450...Dunlop MX3S is sure a hoot!
    Cafeducati and Drwnite like this.
  15. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    I am debating the Desert H/T rear coupled with a Scorpion Rally front. I have been considering the 908RR as it is proven over time to be durable and reliable.

I issue is:

o I have to ride 700 miles to the start of the NV BDR before I even hit dirt.
    o I want to have as much life in the tire as able to run a completely loaded 990 ADV in silty sand, rocks, gravel, and possible mud, possible snow.
    o the NV BDR is 900 miles.
    o I have Woody's Rally rims for a 140 but hate the idea of being limited to 80 mph.
    o the ride home will be 1200 miles but I do not care so much for the life of the tire at that point except that I need it to hold air and get me home.
    o I need something durable and proven but also will be using spoons and hand tools to mount/repair the tube in the field if need be.

I LOVE the Scorpion Rally's but it will be very worn down even before the off road portion begins.

I am looking at the Desert H/T and 908RR rear.

I recall removing the 908RR with no drama, but I have read great things about the Desert H/T minus the mounting an handling in the wet.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!