Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,
    I really want to send my XC rear to you for tubeless conversion. I could have sworn I read somewhere that you did it for around $100, but this thread shows $338.

I guess I'm wondering if there are options with this, or if its $338 or nothin'. Also, what is, typically, shipping on a wheel from you to zip 02905? Just looking for the full cost to figure if its worth it to me.

Thanks
    Jim
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI.....
    1,,, yes we'll seal for tubeless if the rim has safety bead
    2,,,tis best to true/tighten all spokes for optimal benefits before you seal
    3,,, parts n labor with one year warranty = $99 plus S&H
    4,,,S&H circa $30 off the top of my head
    5,,,circa 3-4 day turn around normally
    6,,, it's worth it....

:freaky
    Woody
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for quick response!

I'll figure out when I can get the wheel out and get it to you. Oh, what is turn around on that? Of course, I waited until the first 50deg day we've had in 3mos to get on this. Riding a bike for the first time in awhile will do that:1drink

Jim
  4. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woody,
    Wondering if you've had an 1190 wheel to peruse and see what you'd be able to do with it in regards to the Superlace as well as sealing for tubeless. Ill be getting a standard 1190 and know they are tubeless stock. Though only 2 of many bikes sold, read where guys had problems with the OEM seal around the center and could not get a good seal with tubeless.

I had a set of your sealed wheels on a GSA and no issues. Looking at staying stock, not riding more than moderate dirt within the standard capability but mostly street. Just thinking of a set-up that would leave no concern of damaging the OEM seal strip or TPMS.

Also read a few posts back where you could build a set of wheels with slightly narrower rim but looking to stay with OEM for now. But if I were, what would that involve? Use the 1190 hub and you bulid a wheel around it?

Thanks for any info.
  5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

Hi,

We can build a new wheel using your oem hub, superlaced with heavy duty stainless steel spokes/nipples to a 21 x 1.85 NON-Dimpled excel, with a silver rim and blasting/clear coating your oem hub would be $587 + shipping for the part's/labor.

We can only use NON-dimpled rim's on the 40 hole hub's, as we can only get 36 hole dimpled 21 x 1.85 rim's, and we also need to have the wheel X-laced in order to make it work with the caliper.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Zach
  6. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

Hi,

The easiest way to get the spec's would be to take an old spoke out and measure the overall lenght underneath the spoke head to the end of the thread. Also measure the width of the spokes to ensure the gauge of the spokes. If you need nipples you will also want to measure the width of the nipple and the lenght as well.

We don't have this wheel spec in stock, but can figure out if you can give us a call to order some spokes.

Thanks Zach
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

Hi,

We can superlace the oem wheel's and use our sealing technique to have a tubeless wheel with the oem rim/hub. If you want a stronger rim we can use 19 x 2.5, 17x 4.25 excel rim's for more dual sport riding and more tire selections' as well. It would be around $1,000-1200 for part's/labor, depending on what we used.

We have also heard of the 21/18 wheel's having issues with the oem seal, but in our opinion any more aggressive off-road should be used with tube's especially if you drop the tire pressure.

We can superlace the oem wheel's and re-use the oem seal's and TPMS but it's recommended to buy a new seal from KTM to ensure it will work.

Thanks Zach
  8. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    I called and gave all the dimensions. Thank you.
  9. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Spokes showed up today. I finished lacing the wheel, and realized I didn't have a spoke wrench.. I cut a slot in the handle of my 17mm axle wrench, and it works perfect.

I've never trued a wheel before, but it went well, and the tire is mounted now. Sharpies and patience helped a bunch!

Thank you Woody's Wheel Works for everything.
  10. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    I am in need of new front rim for my F800GS, the butter Behrs are definitely not up to the task of off road riding. I don't intend to stop riding off the beaten path, so I would like to upgrade the rim...front only for now till I can get more $$$

So my question is this...in your experience, who makes the stronger rim? Excel or Sun?
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Excel:deal
    And we have anything ya need for the upgrade...
    Woody
  12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Have a couple job openings here at Woody's Wheel Works.

One for Service Writer, see posting here: http://denver.craigslist.org/csr/4362014156.html

Another for Tire/Wheel tech that can see here: http://denver.craigslist.org/lab/4338076695.html

Also, taking resume's and interest for someone interested in learning everything about wire wheels. We are in need of another wire wheel technician and this is a chance to learn from the best and build some of the strongest wheels around. In the process there is an opportunity to learn how to true BMW x-laced wheels & other tricks from Woody. This position requires someone with above average technical skills, but willing to get hands dirty when necessary.

You must have:
    Positive Attitude
    Be Driven
    Take Initiative
    Be On Time
    And above all.....Integrity
    ...we never ,,,ever forget that our customers trust us with their lives and their hard earned $$$$

You can reply via the individual ads mentioned above, or PM.

Thanks,
    Chris
  13. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Woody - A friend swears by Simple Green for getting winter crud off her rims, but I heard somewhere it had some nasty side effects. Did I read that here? If so, what was the issue?

TIA, Pete
  14. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody,

I've got a set of tubeless Excel wheels running tubeless tires, but the bike came from the factory with tubes.

[​IMG]

This is the front. It has what looks like a protector / seal in the rim. I'm guessing it's just for protecting the tube though & not sealing the wheel. It's kind of a hard material, not rubber. I don't think it'll come off without cutting.

[​IMG]

I was expecting these to be tubeless until I did the first tire change. Can I expect these to actually be air-tight? Or to need to cut off the protector ring in there and seal like you and/or one of the multiple threads here show?

thx
    --Dan
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi pete et al,,
    Simple Green does work great for removing all kinds of stuff,,,AND perhaps works too good ,,because it also will affect the surface and often leaves it looking stained /smudged/discolored/streaks etc...it affects some anodized surfaces worse than others...

a product called SS100 is far more benevolent.

woody
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:

looking at the rim itself it sports the safety bead ,,,hence capable of tubeless tire use....now the protector ring could have the dimples sealed underneath,,,i can see the nipples are not the Alpina tubeless nipples...and the rim band does look like a standard tube type rim-band...

sooo was there a tube in the tire when you dismantled it???

and yes,,you can seal for tubeless using any of the techniques discussed in the forums ,,,

we do it all for $99ea parts n labor,,,one year warranty.....

OBTW...the 21014 KTMs come tubeles from what i hear ,,,sporting a special rubber sealant strip....ala the ones used on their rear super motard set-ups...the rim has aspecial groove machiined that allows the precision rubber sealing strip to seal the spokes.

woody
  17. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks woody. Yes, the tubes were there from the factory & I'm thinking of going tubeless. I just wanted to verify what I had to start out with.

--Dan
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    Good morning

Interested in getting a spare front hub laced to a 19" rim for a DR650?

What do ow need to do to make this happen?

Regards

:norton
  19. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about the same thing for my DR350. Can you lace a wheel to my stock front hub? I plan to run the stock rear as is.

I'm not looking for super high performance supermoto, but I like the look and want the smaller front for when I go ride the twisties. Plus, I have an extra wheelset for my knobbies.......:D

Thanks
  20. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    What AST said