BMW tires that scary?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Quin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    what exactly are "BMW tires" they don't make tires but rather put the cheapest OEM bidder's tire on at the time.

that sucks no dealers will touch the K60. do you have any independent shops in your area? have the wheels off the bike to make it easier on them and tell them you'll sign a release form is they insist.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  3. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    When I leave home it's generally for a trip a lot longer than that, but my ride is a GSA that generally carries an extra 15# of mud and even when clean isn't anywhere near as sleek or well-balanced as your bike. That might have something to do with our differing opinions. My bikes are both set up with perfect ergonomics for me, and in my experience that makes all the difference.

My bet is a rocket with a finely tuned suspension is a lot more susceptible to even minor imbalances. Yet I still think you should remove your saddle and make sure there's not a pea under there... :D
  4. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    The K60's I put on mine needed a lot of weights to balance. Make sure you pick up at least a couple ounces worth begorehand if you decide to change your own.
  5. Multiplicity

Multiplicity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl My GSA runs flat and smooth too, except for the runout on the front rim. I do 85% street with mine. I usually log 500 miles a day on our winter hours. Lots of day trips to keep me from killing people that deathly need it :evil
  6. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yes they are considerably stiferf more difficult to mount than any other tire I have encountered....but is not a problem for a dealer with a good mounting machine.

If you plan to ride at 60,70, 80 I would certainly recommend balancing. Who know the set of tire you buy may be perfect..but then again maybe not.
  7. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This.

There is no issue with mounting tires, just the dealer wanting to fleace you more.
  8. Multiplicity

Oddometer:

Yes Sir! They actually get mad when you ask them to mount tires you purchased elsewhere :rofl
  9. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  10. Northern Hooligan

Northern Hooligan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was under the gun to get my wifes tires changed on the bike I just got her, 2004 BMW F650GS, so I could have it ready for her to ride after she passed her MC test in October of last year. I took the tires to local dealer #1 who asked for my receipt for the tires in my hands. I said I bought them else where and was told that they do not install tires not purchased at the store. The next dealer said he would do them, in 8 days at a cost of $80.00 each tire. I changed them myself. It takes a while with no machine and the last time I changed a tire for a dual purpose bike was about 2007. Practice for my future bike when I figure out what it will be.
  11. Multiplicity

Oddometer:

I looked up a few in my area. Most are $110.00 to $140.00 per set. That's just crazy :topes
  12. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Buy your own NoMar tire changer for that much. Two changes and you are making money.

Put the tires in the house and keep them warm when you change them. Warm tires are like warm butter and a warm knife verses cold butter and a cold knife.

I have a NoMar but this guy below shows a budget tire changer that is all you need.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/tire-changing.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Multiplicity

Oddometer:
    I think the NoMar is the best DIY choice. It's a good unit for the price. Buying their balance stand is also a good idea and like you said.
    After a few changes, you're saving money and can bank it for Farkles
    :rofl

You'll save money on mounting and balancing as well as tires. Buy em online and DIY! No need to put up with some shops crappy attitude while they hold your bike
    hostage, making it last on the list of priorities
    . You'll really enjoy doing it yourself.

You can wean yourself off relying on the shops for simple things like oil and tire changes. You should DIY anyways, IMO.
  14. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I have never had trouble getting a tire mounted at any time in any shop. They generally charge about a half an hour labour per tire and get to it when they can unless they are really friendly. If you purchase the tire there, they are much more likely to get on while you wait or go have a pint and come back.

For the record they charged you a half hour per tire if you hand them your wheels only and usually both tires are mounted and balanced in about 20 minutes.
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    That's bullshit! If you bring in the wheels, it takes ten or twenty minutes max to change a tire. If they do both in 30 or 40 minutes and charge you, say, $25 each for the service, that's not an outrageous fee for you and will make them the equivalent of $75 to $100 per hour for the work (slow worker if it takes 40 min). If they're so worried about the liability, they should quit installing tires altogether. In fact, perhaps they should quit doing brakes too - a lot of liability there if they screw it up. Better still, just stop working on bikes - If they never do anything, they can't do anything wrong, can they?

We had a similar thread a few weeks back and I was told the dealers have to pay more for the tires than we can buy them on-line for (sounds fucking stupid to me - they should just buy them from the same place we do - especially independent shops) and make no money on them anyway - In which case you are saving them all the hassle of looking up, ordering and paying for tires, unloading them from the truck, storing them till you come in etc., etc. and they are making their money off the fitting. Can't have it both ways!

BTW - I have pretty limited experience with this but have NEVER had anyone refuse to mount a tire for me. When I found myself caught wth a near-bald tire on a trip, I bought a tire from a big accessory shop in Denver that didn't do mounting. The independent place a mile up the road did it with a smile - they asked me if I'd take the wheel off as they were busy and it would let them serve me faster (I was going to do that anyway). Don't remember what they charged but it wasn't ridiculous.
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Some of you guys have seriously shitty local dealers - I'm sorry to hear that.

Back in the UK, my local car tire store has the equipment to change bike tires but doesn't sell the tires. I bring in the (mail-ordered) tires on the back of my old airhead RT and they help me remove the wheels, mount the tires for me and chat with me while they're doing it. Last time I insisted on paying double because they were only going to charge me £5 (about $8) for the entire operation.
  17. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been mounting tires for 40 years. I never balanced them until 3 years ago. I can't tell the difference.
  18. Multiplicity

Oddometer:
    Have a look around and see what the going rates are. Just punch in the zip for an area.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/819/MNGR/Preferred-Installer-Locator-a-Preferred-Installer.aspx
    Mine was listing them for 110 to 140 per set. That's bullshit.
  19. Multiplicity

Oddometer:

Then why bother ?
  20. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hand my local Honda dealer my wheels, tires and $50. They give them back an hour later done right every time. I love my Honda dealer. :)