Maya's LHS Fork Seal leaking On The SE

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Good evening gents

Has aftermarket seals I believe and the green dust caps (if you can believe any of the bullshit from the previous owner)

Does anyone know if these are a one piece assembly or like the std ones with separate seal and dust cap.

Next thing is where to source a seal in Mexico area, any leads.

Many thanks.
  2. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:

Two pieces. Pull the dust seal down and find something really thin but rigid. A thin feeler gauge works good, but anything will do. The idea is to get between the fork leg and the seal and run it around the fork leg to clean out the dirt or grit that is making your seal leak. It is a five minute job and will more than likely fix your issue. Motion Pro even makes the commercial version called a Seal Doctor.

If you have green seals they are SKF, and are the best available. Try this trick before you replace the seal.
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate will do, did that in NZ with a skinny plastic shim and it worked a treat so will give that a crack first.
  4. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    +1

My NEW SKF seal (the green ones) leaked at the left fork leg after installation and this trick did not sort it out fully, so i cut a piece of the the finest sanding paper i could find and run it around (with the sanding side facing outwards - towards the seal rubber) a couple of times and that took care of it. I guess there was a minute nick or something during installation inspite of me taking all necessary precautions.

But avoid using anything metallic. It might tear/damage the lip of the seal.

Mineral water bottle, business card are soft, giving and freely available.
  5. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Question is, would you (mellow out and enjoy the trip that is..) ? after having gone through what they have.
  7. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    +1 on film/negative strips to clean the oil seal lips (once you pull the dust seal out of the way). If you are on a trip stop by a photo-lab and ask for the ends they throw away- the tractor feed on the edges gives the dirt a place to go so it can be pulled out of the sealing area, just wipe it off when you're done!

If you don't have fork air bleeder valves on your bike, they are a great investment (now less than $20USD). Even after a short ride you'll be suprised how much pressure builds up when you push the buttons the first time. The buildup helps create leaks- dedicated offroad riders around here release the air multiple times a day & don't get leaks for years while riding in nasty, dirty stuff.

Good Luck on your Adventure!
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the film strip.

Re the bike, as you know it was bought seriously misrepresented, we paid top dollar to pick up a bike that was mint with everything done so we could continue and we were lied to big time.

It has caused us untold greif and losses, what you see on here is very much only the tip of the iceberg, if I were to list everything that still needs doing you would be bored to tears.

The arsehole left us out $1156 US just to get her sorted in which I sold a lot of farkles just to cover repairs which I am not happy about having paid for them, then we have had a myriad of issues that still need fixing, some need money, some need attention, should a rear top shock bush be fucked in 1700 miles??? ... NO!!!.

I put this to you and you can really mellow out here and be the big guy you seem to want to be .... our paypal is twomotokiwis@gmail.com, you square us $1156.00 US which we paid out for only on the initial stuff and I promise I won't say another thing.

Then I can mellow out for the 3/4 month travel budget which I saved my arse off for and the fuckwit has stolen from us .... deal?, I look forward to your payment.

Great advice and yeap will get some when we can, didn't even think to release the air bleeds so will do that first off.

Hopefully an easy fix.
  9. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that, but at the end of the day you've got 2 choices choose to be pissed off about it or just accept and it and choose to be happy. One of them is a great attitude if your planning on finding the seller and beating his ass, the other is a way to enjoy your amazing trip.

Bikes break, maintenance is constant you just got more of it than you bargained on.

I've been there with my 950 when I first bought, not to the extent you where but more than I was ready for.
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Happy with maintenance but pissed about the amount of shit this has tied to it and shouldn't have, not unreasonable on my part especially when you have paid GOOD money for it and had a personal beating with Ellens crash.

Yes our trip comes first but just remember we NEED the bike, we can't just take it home at night and fix it as you can do!, I am happy as and wioll be even happier once I have finished moping up, I look forward to wearing shit out!:D
  11. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, bleed the forks every day. Is there someone who can order some bleed nipples you can RV with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fro-Syste...32?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2319b93f54

If the forks are still leaking, how’s your eyesight. Take off the fork stanchion protector, look closely and feel for pits in the chrome around the common band of travel, there were voids under the surface on one of my SE legs or you could have a stone chip. If so get some fine wet and dry sand paper and rub the pitting to remove the rough sharp edges, loosen the fork tube in the triple clamp and turn a couple of mm so the seal is not rubbing on the imperfection. Tighten the triples and get the stanchion sorted when home.

Fork seals are a consumable; you could have chipped the stanchion yourself first time on a gravel track. Replacing the seals can be done in the field with no special tools, just need some fork oil, and if it comes to that we can talk you through it.
  12. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I can't do it without my wife's hair dryer :deal

:lol3
  13. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate cold fingers too. :wink:
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    It has been weeping slowly since Phoenix when we got her but last coupla days it started running, it did the job lats night so will find out today, the stanchions do have slider marks, will have have a good look in the daylight and feel them as well.

..... I have short hair so I should be ok :D
  15. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could just be a seal damaged when it was replaced.....easy done if you're a novice.
  16. Northyork

Northyork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro Seal Mate

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8wlzfoVroSY?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  17. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seal doctor is a bit more fool proof imho
  18. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or cut a piece of plastic drinks bottle or milk carton or 35mm film, for free and save the world.
  19. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly when my fork seals leak. After doing the initial quick fix i replace them before the next ride. Figure at that point dirt might have found its way past the seal and that can effect the shim stacks and the air volume in the forks is different that what it started as...

On my 200 i run a really low fork oil level, on the 950 it's much higher so it's not as big of a deal but the big girl needs all the bottoming resistance she can get
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what we did .. the kodak shop was shut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an audience while working in the hotel :D

[​IMG]

...and a monsta bike :eek1

[​IMG]

So far so good, only a shot day on her today, will rotate the stanchions tomorrow.