Blame It On Facebook

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by guitarhack, Jun 17, 2012.

1. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

fixed, yea my minds still in the 8th grade
  2. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Flux,

Have a great trip. Stop and see the Worlds Largest Prairie Dog if you have time! :D

For what it's worth, we have never met - but I think of you every time I drive by Moto 400:(:
  3. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    As is mine. :D
  4. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Many of my favorite spots. Never grow tired of seeing them. Subscribed....
  6. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zion National Park, Day 2

Warning: This installment has virtually nothing to do with motorcycles. Skip this if you are interested in bikes, and in bikes only.

Several parks ago (The Black Canyon I think it was), we purchased a guide book on the parks, and assigned miss SAT smartypants the task of researching the parks the night before we went to each - so we would know what to do when we got to them.

Today we visited the more popular / larger area of Zion National Park.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if they would have stopped us if we tried to dive the car, but due to the large numbers of visitors...
    [​IMG]

they have a very efficient bus system set up to take you around the park. The system really is a nice. We like that it has a soundtrack playing that tells you what you are seeing.
    [​IMG]

As the majority of this area of the country was settled by Mormons. many of the sights were given biblical names - most of which I can't remember.
    [​IMG]

...but I gotta hand it to them. Most of the sights were indeed inspirational.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christina and I enjoy backpacking and hiking - and today she chose a challenging, 5-mile hike. So The Support Team Leader opted to do her own thing while we Tackled "Angel's Landing"
    [​IMG]

We were repeatedly warned (by signs, by the recording on the bus, and by the ranger at the Visitor's Center) that this hike wasn't for the faint of heart -just the kind of thing Christina likes. So off we went.

After crossing a small bridge...
    [​IMG]

...the trail was very easy. We were wondering what the big deal was. A mom could push a stroller on it. :dunno
    [​IMG]

More blooming cactus photos ...this time in yellow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In time the trail got steeper,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the views started getting better
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one point you go through a slot in the rock faces and Christina found a hole to climb into.

[​IMG]

Then we hit a section of back to back to back (etc) switchbacks
    [​IMG]

The view from above the bank of switchbacks
    [​IMG]

While aerobically taxing, the trail was easy to navigate.. until you get to a resting stop about 3/4 up the trail, where a lot of folks call it a day. ... and for good reason
    [​IMG]

Past this point, the trail, in my opinion, stops being a "hike", and becomes a "climb"

Again, they post this sign as a warning
    [​IMG]

...which out of dumb-luck I happened to get a very similar pic of
    [​IMG]
    Look closely. There are little specks (people) climbing that ridge

A closer look
    [​IMG]

Indeed, at this point , completing the trail makes you climb. To aid you, there are chains to hold onto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not only was the "trail" steep, there were drop-offs on either side - giving views like this
    [​IMG]

At the risk of sounding overly-dramatic; it really would be easy to get killed climbing this thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Climbing all of this kicked my fat butt
    [​IMG]

In time we reached the top and were treated with incredible views
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Christina sitting on a rock formation on the very peak of the plateau.

After soaking in the views, we headed back down and saw an owl. I don't remember EVER seeing an owl in the wild. We were excited about it. But our pics didn't come out very well. :waysad
    [​IMG]

From the lodge, this is looking back up to the peak we just climbed
    [​IMG]

Zoomed in
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely, you can just make out the rock formation Christina was sitting on. It is just to the left of the clump of trees that are toward the right.

A couple of days ago I asked Christina what her favorite point of the trip was - her reply was this hike. :nomystery

The hike took about four hours, and the physical exertion, along with the heat, wiped us out. Have I mentioned how much we LOVE our Camelbak? Anyway, we met back up with The Support Team Leader, bought souvenir T-Shirts, had a late lunch, toured the park some more, and drove back to the hotel exhausted and happy.

OK, tomorrow brings me back to motorcycling ...in a big way.

Stay tuned for what very well may be the best day of riding I have ever had. :thumb
  7. TundraBob

TundraBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice photos and looks like a fun trip. That is my old stomping grounds. I have not been there in over 20 years...

What kind of GPS are you using. It looks similar to mine. I was wondering how you have it mounted. Have a good trip. I wish I was there.
  8. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bob,My GPS is a budget Garmin 265WT that i got several years ago at Costco. ...on a Ram Mount.
    It isn't waterproof - hence the zip-lock.

I have a "Glare Stomper" shade on it - which is awesome (and inexpensive)

Thanks for following along
  9. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Brad-

Great ride report! Looks like you had an awesome journey. Glad you made it there & back safely.

Guess you didn't make it by Bishops Castle?

Andrew
  10. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Andrew. :wave

No, we weren't able to make it to Bishop's Castle. I looped back through Colorado later in the trip, but ran out of time.

Guess I will just have to go back another time. :thumb

Thanks for the kind words.
  11. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday, June 10th
    Mileage: ~ 375

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Map Source lists today as roughly 375 miles, and 7 hours and 15 minutes driving time. We should have split the day up into two days - as there was so much to see.

My pre-trip planning had us driving though Red Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Capitol Reef, before landing in Moab for the night. I didn't count on a few other sights to see. The result of my oversight was a VERY long day and 300+ pictures. ...and I loved every minute of it. The family... meh, they did too, but I wore them out.

Hey look! I think I figured out how to get pics of maps! This is where we are going today:
    [​IMG]

One of the things we got into the habit of doing on the trip was spending a few minutes talking to the hotel staff. Be it places to eat, places to see, roads to take - they usually had good advice. Today was no exception. We mentioned that we were going to Bryce Canyon and the guy at the desk told us of a road closure, and a detour that would take us to Cedar Breaks - which we had never heard of. But what the heck - if it's on the way...
    http://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

Our detour took us immediately onto the highway (contrary to the mechanic's advice) and up a few miles before we started cutting across the mountain range on some fun roads. To be honest, I am not sure where these next two pics were taken, and neither do you, :rofl so let's pretend they were taken where I am talking about. :D After all... I like them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Quick break in the action...

As you know (if you have read this RR to this point), my chain has been giving me fits now for days. It put a real damper on the riding. Today I am riding with a new chain, and stock-sized sprockets. The last time I changed my sprockets out, I went down two teeth on the rear sprocket - thinking it would make interstate riding a little less high-revving. It did. In doing this, I knew there would be a trade-off in acceleration, but was OK with it. Honestly, I never noticed the acceleration decline - until now.

With the smooth-running chain, and two tooth gain in the rear sprocket, the bike was SWEET. I really don't know how to describe it. The difference was VERY noticeable and I was LOVING IT! I still am. I rode up in North Georgia mountains yesterday and had an absolute BLAST. The bikes new-found (or should I say newly-recovered) performance would have made the day exceptional on it's own merits, but the scenery - that went on and on and on - made the day truly unforgettable.

Anyway, back to the story. Thanks to the hotel's desk clerk, we were routed by Cedar Breaks. While flying along, I almost missed stopping - but caught a quick glimpses from the saddle and had to stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was just the coolest. After looking at map later, I think we missed a good bit of the park. Oh well... another reason for a return trip. :evil

The impromptu stop really paid off and I learned a quick lesson: if you see something interesting, schedule be damned... stop and look around! That lesson paid off a little later in the day. More on that later.

Soon after hitting the Breaks (pardon the pun) we hung a left and started heading east. We entered and exited the Dixie National Forrest several times during the day. Being from Georgia, it made us feel at home. :D
    [​IMG]
    It was one more, in a long line of unexpected cool sights for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I am thinking, "Really, this is Utah?"
    [​IMG]

Where are the salt-flats? Where are the circling buzzards? Where is the dry, featureless desolation?
    [​IMG]

This place is freaking gorgeous!
    [​IMG]

And then Red Canyon snuck up on us. :eek1

I at least knew OF Red Canyon, but it really wasn't on my radar. I just figured it was another valley with a red tinge to it. Talk about underestimating it...
    http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/redcanyon.htm

Red Canyon is amazing. (Note, I realize I am repeating myself. I am running out of superlatives for southern Utah. Sorry, it's not my fault - it's Utah's)

Enough of my inadequate words. Hope you can just enjoy the pics. The place blew me away.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the requisite bike shot :D
    [​IMG]

After all of this sensory overload, we stop to get Subway sandwiches for the cooler (for lunch later) and headed for Bryce Canyon.

The weather is near perfect, the roads are a ton of fun, and the scenery is as good as it gets. ...and the day is just beginning. :thumb
  12. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:

What a great sense of humor and adventure you and your "support crew" have! Great lead-in to your ride report, and you have an easy way of telling your story. I have never heard of the left-handed upside down camera trick nor of the Black Canyon. I'll file this info away for later use!

I enjoyed reading about your early route from I75 up through Tennessee, Kentucky and St. Louis. I just got back last Friday from the very same route, albeit by cage.

Kudos to you and you crew!

Jill
  13. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:
  14. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jill

Glad you found something useful. ...but don't give me too much credit. I am just passing along information that I became interested in after reading other's ride reports.

If you haven't already, read this one:

http://http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310834

The RR above, and another one that is sadly no longer available, were my inspiration.

Enjoy.
  15. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll say I got my information from you. I am truly enjoying reading your ride report. Some of what you have ridden I just did a week ago, and the parts out West I did last summer. Your pictures of Mesa Verde are much better than any of mine. I had been waiting since 8th grade to get to Mesa Verde, and it did not disappoint.

Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy your family and life!

Jill
  16. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome report:thumb Both your pics and your words are great. It really makes me look forward to the time I have the time to get back out west on a trip.

I will make sure to hike up Angels Landing when I make it out there.

Thanks for putting all the effort to write and post this.
  17. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the feedback.

I know what you mean - trips out west take time! Just getting out there and back will eat up a better part of a week... but it's worth it. :thumb
  18. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prior to getting to the actual entrance gate, there is a huge off-site parking lot and Visitors Center. I scored a parking spot right outside the door (for Wee safety), and we all piled into the Support Vehicle. After a short drive we got to the gate...
    [​IMG]

Got a map and stopped at the new-looking Visitor's Center. By the way, It seemed MANY of the Visitor's Centers are new. I hope they are being paid for by entrance fees... and not some sort of stimulus spending we can't afford. (OK my slight brush with politics is now over).
    [​IMG]

Prior to actually going on this trip, I had no idea what this park would be like. I assumed it would be directly on the main highway, and offer an overlook or two. There is more to it...

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

[​IMG]

We heeded advice we had read somewhere, and started at the overlook that was farthest from the Visitor's Center (at the bottom of the above map) and worked our way back. That way, most of the overlooks were on the right side of the road - making it easier to get in and out of the parking areas.

Some random sights:
    [​IMG]

"Natural Bridge"
    [​IMG]

Another bridge we spotted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took WAY too many pictures to share here. Again, the day had a LOT of pic opportunities

Anyway, after working our way back towards the Visitors Center, we got to the area that you will most likely see in travel photos: the main amphitheater:

I wish I would have planned ahead and taken shots to stitch together as a panorama. :(:

"The Grottos"
    [​IMG]

The main body of the canyon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After spending several hours at Bryce, we had to hit the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After passing this guy...
    [​IMG]

...who for some reason didn't look pleased that I was passing him...
    [​IMG]

I followed his buddy for quite a few miles. Assuming they were indeed together, I am not sure if he was paying very good attention. As he sped up and we left his crabby-looking buddy in our dust. :rofl I think he might have thought I was his buddy in his mirror.

Then we entered The Grand Staircase of the Escalante
    [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Staircase-Escalante_National_Monument

This area is HUGE, and so are the sights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sights just went on and on and...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pics I have posted here are a very small portion of the ones that I took. Normally, it isn't too hard to weed out the iffy pics. Granted, I was using a crappy camera, and I am not a skilled photographer, but the subject matter was so good...
    [​IMG]

Even a dolt like me had little trouble getting some reasonably good shots in.

Up next: Capitol Reef
    [​IMG]

...and the day still has a LONG way to go. :thumb
  19. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged

Oddometer:
    WOW! Nice report Brad. So much better seeing the pics here with your narrative. Next time post the pics on facebook after you do the ride report. :lol3
  20. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    After passing the sign...
    [​IMG]

http://www.nps.gov/care/index.htm

...coming from the west, you have several miles of scenic driving before you get to the turn-off to the Visitor's Center.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Approaching "Chimney Rock"
    [​IMG]

A better view
    [​IMG]

Near the entrance to the Visitor's Center is "The Castle" . I thought it looked more like a pipe organ pipes.
    [​IMG]

After a quick stop at the Visitor's Center we drove the "Scenic Drive". These shots are in no particular order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A HUGE old tree in Fruita
    [​IMG]

Apparently, during heavy rains, the road must have temporary streams crossing it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shadows were starting to grow longer, and we still had many miles to go to get to Moab, so we had to leave Capitol Reef after only about an hour. But there were still a LOT of sights ahead of us before it got dark.

Thanks for tagging along.