Disableing esa by installing new shocks, preloadadjuster?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 2712, Jan 7, 2013.

1. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the thing.

ive a esa bike, and now im about to order hyperpro shocks without esa.

Do i need a preload adjuster with that? a search here on the forum got me to a thread saying you can swap your oem bmw preloader to the hyperpro shock, but i dont have a proloader on my esa shocks (i think)

Does anyone know what the lenght adjuster is for and if i need it? that is also an option.

thank you.
  2. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think just about everyone thinks about replacing ESA with standard shocks when it is time to shell out the big bucks for a new set. IMO, you have to have a way to adjust preload. Maybe you are referring to a remote pre-load adjuster??? I know HyperPro shocks have the remotes as an option on most of their shocks and I would sure have it, at least on the rear. This is more guesswork than actual facts. Personally I would go for HyperPro's or Wilbers rebuildable ESA replacements. I love to adjust my ESA on the fly and at least with the Wilbers you don't have to sell the house to buy them.
  3. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by remote?

I just want to be able to adjust it, how is not a factor.

i dont want to end up with a shock that i cant adjust:lol3
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

I think you are right.

The ESA factory shocks are replacable with Hyperpro ESA shocks, which they just move the BMW adjusters over to the Hyperpro shocks.

Alternatively, there are replacement shocks without a remote preload adjuster. These have preload adjustability, but it is awkward to get at and requires a spanner wrench.

A Remote preload adjustable shock will have a knob that is connected to the shock by a length of hose to adjust the preload much more easily.

[​IMG]
    See the preload adjuster on the frame?

Jim :brow
  5. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    (Like Jim said...)

or

You will be able to adjust your new shocks pre-load as it comes from the factory - that has been available on most shocks since the 50's.

What you may have to do it stop the bike and get out a pre-load ajuster wrench to do it and work around under the bike - OR as noted by TH - if you have a hydraulic (remote) pre-load adjuster you can do it while sitting on the bike or not by simply turning a knob - very easy.

I looked at Hyperpros site and cannot find a hydraulic preload adjuster on any of there products - they do have a simple and light adjuster ring that you insert a small rod - to spin the ring and adjust the preload.

so you are set - unless you want it fancy with remote and knob... your call but your shock will be able to be adjusted unless it came from a pre-war bike... ;-)
  6. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the prealoader, is that something that will make the shock break more easaly?

its only for the rear shock? seems weird that you dont have to adjust the front:norton

im just trying to make a good assesment of what to buy, they aint come cheap so i better get it right the first time.

I like esa, but the motors wear out after some time, and if you want to replace them, you cant just buy the motor unit to go with aftermarcket schoks, you have to buy a whole new module.

I want a solution that makes the suspention predictibel in costs for the future.

anyways: i could not resist myself and bought a set for 1700 euro, progressive springs, purple color, preset for 350kg. :D
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The preloader "can" make it less reliable, but I have almost never heard of one failing. Hell, anything can fail.

Mostly you set the front shock where you need it and never again, no need for a remote preload adjuster on the front. Even if you did want to adjust it, it is easier than the rear because of easy access.

Aftermarket shocks are much more rebuildable, and cheaper to rebuild, than factory shocks.

Jim :brow
  8. 2712

2712 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx Jim, you're giving me the peace of mind i need:freaky

Cant wait for them to be delivered.
  9. Jazz62

Jazz62 Long timer

Oddometer:
    May not apply because I don't know the 1200 but on an 1150GS, if you don't have the remote preload adjuster you have to remove the shock to adjust preload. I'm a poor SOB but I scraped together the extra $ for the remote adjuster when I ordered my Hyperpro rear. I don't fiddle with it much now but I sure did when I first installed it and was getting it dialed in.
    It's a lovely bit of kit BTW.
  10. turnerm

turnerm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Hyperpro rear suspension with the remote hydraulic preload adjuster.
    However, even when completely backed off its still too stiff.
    Can I adjust the rings/nuts at the top of the spring on this model shock?
    Ive heard that with shocks that have remote hydraulic preloaders, you cannot make that adjustment.
    The real issue is that I probably have too stiff of a spring.

Thanks
  11. DualMule

DualMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    No..You can not back off the ring with out releasing the nitrogen..Klause would need to do that for you...

That being said..do you KNOW the spring rate is to high? MOST likely, you have too little rebound damping...this makes suspension feel harsh and hard..Increase your rebound damping all the way..see if it feels better..(If you have something that says Fast/Slow..you want slow..if it says Hard/Soft..go for soft..it should almost get bouncy..go back towards firm..until the bounce just goes away..

Compression damping (Low Speed) has VERY LITTLE to do with ride..it makes resistance to bottoming..(High speed compression damping CAN effect ride as well as ride height)