Are Wheelies legal?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gmk999, Dec 31, 2012.

1. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:
    According to my Yahoo homepage.. there are some new Motorcycle specific laws that are about to come into effect. Like speeding wheelies are now subject to tickets ? And that Motorcycles can go through a red light. Are these so?

What are the new laws in your area, and how do I find them in mine? Ct.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    In many states it is not specifically called out, but still not leagal under a few different laws such as excessive show of horsepower and racing laws.

Jim :brow
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
  4. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    LOL, EVERYGODDAMNED thing is illegal in New England :deal Wheelies will get you bracelets
  5. Calamity Jesus

Calamity Jesus n0ob

Oddometer:
    I need to do more wheelies on my wife's TU250X..

"No, your honor.. I cannot deny that I was showing off all 16 horsepower. I do take issue with the term 'excessive', though." :lol3
  6. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    An illegal is a sick bird. :rofl

Everything is legal until you get caught. So it's simple really, just don't get caught. :nod
  7. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if wheelies are illegal in themselves but Im sure you could get a ticket for something even if its something like"headlight improperly adjusted".
    Unrelated to wheelies but to carry on with the theme.
    I used the "my motorcycle is too slow"as a defense for a speed contest ticket one time many years ago, and I won.
    I had a Honda 700 Interceptor and a friend of mine had a Suzuki GS1100ES with some stuff done to it (it was VERY fast).
    When we passed the officer we were side by side. I explained to the judge that my little 700 was no contest for the built 1100, if we truely were "racing", we wouldn't have been side by side. He believed me and the ticket was tossed out. The officer was pushing to reduce it to simple speeding until the judge asked him how fast I was going and the officer had no idea.
  8. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Speaking of New England, I'm deep under cover at Logan International right now. Brady sucks! Manning roolzz!
  9. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:
  10. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This must be a troll... :huh
  11. Mr Bags

Mr Bags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Illinois has given my son 2 tickets for wheelies in the last couple years. He cant resist. :evil
  12. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    No OP, Wheelies are not illegal in and of themselves. Stunting is illegal. If you can make the case that you lifted the front wheel with justification (acceleration away from impending collision, getting over a piece of road rubbish, safely crossing a construction edge) you might be OK with the right LEO or judge.

Now I CAN tell you that in New England wheelies are immoral. Wheelies lead to fun. Fun leads to moral turpitude, which leads to sloth, bad language and poor hygiene. You could find a half dozen religions in New England that would castigate you for wheelies.

Wheelies also cause sterility and cancer. Excessive prostate pressure will restrict blood flow down yonder and stopping to have a smoke after a good 1/2 mile wheelie just ain't good for you.

Lee
  13. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    They sure as hell ARE... my buddies son became a pedestrian for six months after displaying his wheelie skills (Manchester) :deal:clap:lol3
  14. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    This varies widely. You'll have to look up the vehicle code in your state. As others have remarked, everything is probably illegal in New England -- remember, this part of the country was settled by people so prudish and uptight that England kicked them out.

In Indiana, there is no requirement in the state law (there might be some local laws) that your motorcycle must always be operated with both tires on the ground, so wheelies technically aren't illegal. If you can manage to wheelie without breaking any other laws in the process, go right ahead.

However, we do have laws against "speed contest" and "exhibition of speed", both of which can have very broad interpretations depending on the officer's mood that day.

We also have a law specifying that a motorcycle must be operated "astride" the seat, which rules out quite a bit of "stunting" behavior. I don't think this rules out standing up on the pegs, or they would have phrased it "seated" instead of "astride". I've never worried about it.

IC 9-21-10-4
    Seating restrictions
    Sec. 4. A person may not drive, operate, or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle ... in a position other than astride the seat or saddle provided.
  15. kels

kels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOT in Kansas
    They come under the exhibition of acceleration.
    Which is part of the drag racing statute and stays on
    your Kansas drivers license for SIX years:huh

Does wonders for your driving history and future insurance payments.........
  16. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    In New England standing on the pegs will get you pulled over (Stunting). I'm actually starting to get self conscience about riding one handed...
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you should, bad idea.

Yes, I sometimes do it too.
  19. florabama rider

florabama rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Florida its a $1000 fine on the first offense.
  20. DestinationUnknown

DestinationUnknown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen a ticket issued for wheeling(not speeding at the time) and it was checked off as Careless Driving on the ticket.