Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pvangel, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

She got the XR100for now. Rocky hill? Sure!:freaky
  2. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    A 144 kit would get you a little more power without changing the characteristic of the bike.
  3. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  4. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking of one actually... My freind has a 167 and it kinda ruins what I like about a 125, it is very fast but doesn't rev or hit like a 125. A 144 would do it for me.
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yeah the YZ125 seemed pretty good as a 125,it screamed but did so pretty smoothly,came on the pipe and just kept pulling with out doing anything real abrupt,the one I rode had a small flywheel weight added on,I dont know if that's better or worse, but the thing felt like riding a full sized mini bike somehow.
    Tiny little engine.

I wonder how long a piston kit would last trailriding?
  6. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    My bike has 65 hrs on it now, all MX. I put a piston in at 30 and 60hrs both times they were still fine, cylinder still looks new. I would say 50 hrs would be fine if your trail riding, my friend with the 167 went 80 hrs on the last piston.
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    www.Tomahawkmx.com
    First race of the year at Tomahawk in WV, 300 miles each way. Friday is an open practice which is good because I have never ridden there and it's nice to learn the track before you actually have to race it. Saturday race and we'll probably stay and leave Sunday morning so I am not driving all night to get home.
  8. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    you racin the cr?
  9. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Yep! I have a hard time switching back and forth so CR 125 and CRF150f that's enough!

[​IMG]
  10. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    The 150's (one's a 175 but we keep that quite) (#3):D

[​IMG]
  11. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Berwick Pa.

[​IMG]

Budds Creek,

[​IMG]

Central Village Ct. (my old #)

[​IMG]

Southwick Mass.

[​IMG]

Englishtown NJ.

[​IMG]

Old and new,(22 years apart)

[​IMG]

Old and young at Budds Creek,(36 years apart)

[​IMG]
  12. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Disappointing weekend...
    Friday was a mudfest, barely ridable at least for me. That West Virginia clay is some slippery stuff! The track is covered in woodchips, sawdust, some kind of topsoil (rotted woodchips and sawdust) that was very soft and rutted up from Fridays heave rain.I only rode a couple laps in practice and fell right away in a mud puddle, back down like a turtle and couldn't get up until I rolled over into a deeper section of mud and finally pulled my self and the bike out of it.

The weather did get better Friday afternoon and they graded the track after the practice was over and again Saturday morning. It appeared better but in my first practice session I made it 2 corners and the ruts were huge down the next straightaway, I messed up and dabbed my foot into some soft mud and it grabbed me twisting my knee and hip. 1 minute into race day and I was injured.

I ended up racing my first 2 motos but sucked in both of them so decided to retire for the day (a muture and responsible thing to do if I do say so) and lick my wounds.

Drove over 700 miles this weekend for about an hr of riding time at most.

Thats racing....
  13. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    At least you got to spend some quality time with your son.
  14. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    That's true and he rode great this weekend! I was out of it in the Mini class and it is a 2 gate drop(adults then kids) and I was first gate so I went off the track and waited for him so we could ride together and the kid passed me and I couldn't get him back..made me proud!

The mini class was intended to be DRZ's, TTR's and CRF's but the CRF 150R meets the rules so now everybody is on those and it's like a Ferrari racing a Oldsmobile wagon (with wood sides!) just not fair.
  15. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    someone has to do it...thinking of launching an assault on the Pro Nationals to spectate. Bristol, Budds Creek, Southwick, Unadilla, High Pont, Red Bud, all doable, some more than others, Washougal on my wish list. It's easier to fly 5 hours than drive 12 anyway...

road trips?
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Flug, my dream vacation! But.... My daughters wedding, niece's wedding high school friends wedding, ACR racing, Winchester vet series and MAYBE a Claverack or two I'm booked! But you should do it!!!!
  17. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  18. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Work and life has gotten in the way of my racing...not good.

I did race earlier this year at Tomahawk MX in West Virginia and had a terrible weekend, rain, ruts, twisted knee....

Last weekend was different. PERFECT weather, great track and good times.

Left early Friday afternoon and drove to Evansville Pa. to arrive to beautiful skies and perfect temps. Saturdays racing was great and although I didn't trophy I felt good with my riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the mini class I had 2 motos of bar to bar action with my friend Renee, I beat HER first moto, SHE beat me 2nd moto. If I am to be beat by a girl I am happy to have it be Renee (She's my age(or about) and a great rider)
    [​IMG]

There might have been a weight advantage but I'm not going there:D

Sunday was a GNCC style race with 1- 45 min moto that I completed and captured 2nd in the vintage 80's and was a blast!
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    My son rode a friends 74 YZ 125 in the pre75 class, bike is 23 years older than him. He said it was "awful", I agreed but now he knows where I started...

[​IMG]