Baja 1000 spectator planning

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ObiWanJak, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dirtdawgdiva

dirtdawgdiva DirtDawgDiva

Oddometer:
    Hi beechum1,

Not sure I replied correctly earlier. Can you tell me ore about the checkpoints. What do you mean they are checking for money? As in, they want your money or?

As for spectating, thanks for the feedback. We'll just pick a place near the start and go from there. Do you think it will be hard to see the motos at night with an 11 pm start time? What would you suggest bringing other than chairs, a cooler and snacks.
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    drug money. Not usually your money. I don't consider them a threat to my wallet. if you want to be nice though, bring them small packages of cookies or some such snack. Make bikers look better always.

You won't have a hard time seeing the bikes at the start, but there isn't much to see really. The best place will be the wash just north. Follow the crowds and the race course. You can't get lost. Take the bikes wherever you want to stage your viewing. I leave it in the streets, but if your shit is shiny you may not want to. Cable lock is recommended if you're worried about such things. Don't take too much food. if you're in the city try the taco carts and especially the Birria if you can find a place serving during the week. There are OXXO's on every other corner and 7/11 is bringing their brand down there. You can pay in dollars just about anywhere, but changing into pesos will always be he better deal except for gas. Unless you're using a CC, dollars are the better value almost always.

I've lived in TJ for 10 years.
  3. dirtdawgdiva

Oddometer:
    Thanks beechum1! Good tips:) We're not going down on bikes, we're driving a car. A bummer, I know. But there's always next year.

Is it pretty easy to follow the race and find the wash by car?
    ... What is the wash? i tried to find it on the map but couldn't locate it. We'll still kick down cookies though:)
  4. beechum1

Oddometer:
    google maps: 31.861959,-116.618353 Anywhere along there. starting at calle 2a. There's usually a jump at calle 7a. Pahk the cah and go for a walk. It's not as scenic as vermont in the fall, but you'll get some good sights and have a good time just checking it out. Walk in the wash, on the sides, up on the berms, up in the streets.

Antiterrorism 101: Don't be a soft target. Look like a tourist, get treated like a tourist. Not a great problem, but I always say, consequences of not being prepared, vs the investment to be prepared are in favor of being prepared. Not intended to scare or intimidate. Just a little 101 for any new territory including big cities in the US....
  5. dirtdawgdiva

Oddometer:
    Thank you beechum1! All of this feedback is good stuff, very helpful. I checked out the map and have a better idea of where you're talking about.

Do you have any idea how far San Miguel is from the race? This is where we are staying. Gonna take in a little surfing too!
  6. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I think you mean the north side of town? Not walking distance for me.... if you get down early enough for either the bikes or the trucks, meaning, a few hours early for the trucks, you can park very close to the front. The first time I went down, I got there at 3am for the 6am start. I was front row lynard skynard to the start and perfect pos to get out of town quick once S was done. You can also take a taxi, but I don't do that often so I've no recommendations for that. There's a coffee shop across form the start to hang out and do internetty stuff. Also a 7/11 right on the corner.
  7. dirtdawgdiva

Oddometer:
    Thanks beechum1! Can you tell me if it's better to drive Late Tuesday night or Early Wed morning? Is it crazy to drive down the tollroad in the middle of the night?
  8. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Not crazy, but you'll want to keep your eyes peeled after you pass the long straightaway by Puerto Salina then up the hill. There's a turnout for a "Vista" that if you can hold off until daylight, is worth the stop just to say you did it. Make sure you check out all the cars on the downhill water side of the hill. It's the reason they really built up the outside of that turn. After that, slow down to 55 or so depending on your vehicle. The last few miles into Ensenada, until you hit the toll booth, are wavy. You'll see.

If you have time otherwise, go down to the Bufadora. It's about an hour outside of Ens. Ask around or follow the signs. Worth the visit.
  9. dirtdawgdiva

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I think we'll wait until the morning then, I don't wanna miss anything, and I am a photographer and would love to see as many sites as possible. I don't wanna miss the vista and will plan on hitting the buffadora!
  10. beechum1

Oddometer:
    There's an exit after the vista called Salsipuedes. It means, exit if you can. It's worth the story when you get back describing it. fotogs could have a few pics there also. For more pics, take the 3N Back to tecate and either cross there or go to TJ on the 2. An even better drive if you make it over to the 5/mexicali/san felipe, is to take the 2 from mexicali to either tecate or TJ. It's a toll road that will end up costing around 15USD but it's also one of those things to do while you're here. Depends on how much time you have...... if you leave through Tecate, you'll have an hour of mountain driving on the US side that could be quite nice this time of year depending your taste of twisty mountain driving.
  11. dirtdawgdiva

Oddometer:
    I went to San Felipe when I was a kid, it's a beautiful drive and great place to visit. We're gonna be there from Wed morn to Sunday night, I'm sure we'll ave time for most of this. Thanks so much for all the great tips.

Will you be at the race? Let me know how I can reach you... would love to buy you some tacos and beer! My way of saying thanks for all the great feedback.
  12. beechum1

Oddometer:
    yes, I'll be chasing for 222A. Don Higbee, Quad.
  13. MplsMoto

MplsMoto Wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm heading down on Friday, and although I wasn't initially planning on hanging around for the Baja 1000 - my schedule got pushed-out and now I think I'd be foolish not to see the spectacle of the 1000.

I'm a complete noob, but if anyone would mind answering a couple of questions it would be much appreciated. Traveling slightly loaded-up on a f800GS with knobbies - looking for gravel but not technical rides.

I'll probably bounce around between Ensenada, Mikes?, San Felipe, Coco's and points south until race day - then try to find a good place to spectate (I don't necessarily need to be in Ensenada - maybe spectate around the south loop).

Questions:

1. Camp or lodge? I'm assuming best to plan for camping, but would love to not bring the gear.

2. How busy is it for the week leading up? Hotels full, roads crazy?

3. Are there good places to meet others who are down for prerace, and watch pre-racing?

4. Where would you stay, camp, etc. for the week leading-up to and days of the event.

I'm totally winging it here, so throw out your best advice for a loop.

I'd even consider helping someone with support. I'm a decent wrench, willing to work for the adventure of it.
  14. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Goto the Baja 1000 2013 thread and put your name out there for chasing. Not much chatter just now, and it's kind of late, but maybe something will come up.
  15. MplsMoto

MplsMoto Wheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, and the invitation! It looks like hotels in Ensenada still have availability this weekend so I think I'll head straight there and spend a night or two.

Probably the best way to find like-minded riders to connect with and get some info. I'll probably end up going down near Los Angeles and then scoot back up for spectating.

Now you have me a little freaked about riding out there, but I'm sure I'll be fine. I realize you need to always be on your game when driving in MX, even more so during the race.

Sounds like the camping gear is a good backup plan. Probably the best way to find new friends anyway.
  16. beechum1

Oddometer:
    That was simply the point. Just stay alert is all. It's easy to go on autopilot. I like to say "easy solutions to hard problems." That's all I mean to say.