My 620 LC4 Project

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Young-Gun, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I have recently purchased myself a '96 model KTM 620 LC4! I plan to completely re-do the bike and hopefully make a few of my own little changes to it. I will be posting some pictures of the machine in its different stages of the project.

The plan is to make it a rider's bike, one where I can do everything I want to on it, and not just look good doing so! With that in mind, my focus will be on practicality first, then cost, and then aesthetics :D

I am at work right now on my lunch break, but as soon as I get home I will post a few pictures that I took of the bike when I first got it, as well as listing a few things that I have already done, and plan to do to the beast!!

Looking forward to a nice series of posts and comments from myself and from any of you LC4 lovers who have any useful ideas/comments about my progress. When I list the things I plan to do, if any of you know of a cheaper way of doing things or of someone who has a reputation for good work at a good price in the brisbane area, please do let me know :1drink

Cheers!
  2. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get photos to work so that I dont have to worry about re-sizing them, anyone got any suggestions?
  4. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    What tank is that? Who makes it?

Who makes the aluminum frame guards by the footpegs?

:lurk
  5. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    I'd reckon the tank is genuine KTM from early / mid 1990's. 18.5 Litre.

You can get frame guards like that off ebay, sommer ktm has a few types as well.
  6. ry1

ry1 b00n

Oddometer:
    welcome to the 620crew and fill out your profile cause if your in Brisbane CA there are a few other guys with 620s in SF but if your in Brisbane AUS then you are really far away
    nice bike do you have the little tank for it too
  7. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tank looks more like a 29 Liter. I have never seen them in Purple though.
  8. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    The very early 620 Adventure / Dakar bikes ran the purple 28 litre tank
  9. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Yeah Pezz is right, its an original KTM 28 litre tank, I also have another 18.5 litre purple tank, the one that comes with the 620 LC4 EGS. I ALSO have the 11.5 litre blank tank with matching butterscoth orange radiator shrouds, headlight mask and front guard.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the small tank, and the original butterscoth plastics, please drop me a line. I will however be putting all the pics up on here as soon as I figure out how to insert multiple pics per post, anyone got any hints?

P.S. PEZZ, thanks for putting me in touch with your mate in Perth, I bought the pipe but my dad fell in love with it when it arrived, so I just let him have it as I owed him parts for my G/S to the same value, and I got his old pipe!
  10. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    If you have Photoshop, the "Save for Web" option works pretty well -- you can then dictate the file size...

Otherwise, help support this site by purchasing a www.smugmug.com account -- a mere $30 some odd a year and you won't have to worry about file sizes anymore.
  11. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    ok so now i've signed up and have pics in my smug-mug gallery, how do I now insert them in my post?
  12. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Excellent...

Now, depending on how you've formatted your gallery, after you click on a photo you wish to see, you should see a link that says "Share Photo: Links, Forums, Blogs" toward the right of your screen (this should be close to the other photo information including your camera type, file size, etc.)...click on that...

Then, you'll see "Sharing a single photo" with a bunch of links that correspond to various sizes you can share -- I usually go with the medium or large...select and copy the link of the size you wish to share...

Come back to your advrider thread, and where appropriate, click on the little icon at the top of your "reply to thread" window that looks like a mountain with a yellow background...click on that...then paste the link of your picture -- the final result will be your link between two ...it will then embed your photo within your reply for all to see....
  13. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mate!!

[​IMG]
    Now we can have some fun!! :clap
  14. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Much better -- nice work grasshopper....

now show us more pics and progress...we're waiting.
  15. downhillfromhere

downhillfromhere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats not an ex Australian safari or Condo bike is it? That looks suspiciously like a "dust light" on the rear guard...
  16. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure mate, I bought this bike just under a month ago, the previous owner didnt really give me much history about the bike... And by the way, whats a dust light?:ear
  17. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    I had one of those,a 620 Kini replica,ktm bought a few into oz,the purple plastics fade real bad in that colour,when i sold mine it went to Brissy....it hasnt got a set of black big-bore headers has it?
  18. jfn68

jfn68 Banned

Oddometer:
    I just had a look at the photos again......its not my old one,i may have some manuals etc,etc for that bike in my shed,if they are still lying around there yours.
  19. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I plan to replace all these red and blue hoses with proper hosing, it looks like this unit is a vacuum pump to access the last few litres in the big tank...
    [​IMG]

and it seems to have been powered by the vacuum created by the engine between the carb and the engine...? (see the hole in the section between the two steel clamps)

[​IMG]
  20. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I dont think I will be using these with the bike, any takers? PM me and we can talk $
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]