New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it's a brand new bike I would take it to the dealer and tell them it's defective and let them sort it out before I pulled them out. Because once you do they're going to want nothing to do with it. If it's not new or they're unwilling to help, I'd contact KTM directly and see what they say.

Also that smaller, middle screw is empty on mine (2013) as well.

BTW, while you have the fender/cover off inspect two areas: the top of the tail light and both sides of the gas tank that it covers. Mine was rubbing and it was cutting a pair of notches in the tail light and there was significant abrasion on the tank on the left side of the gas tank. I needed to add some nylon washers between the cover and the nut to provide clearance in both areas.
  2. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    In case you didn't see this response.
  3. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dumb things we do.

Keep in mind I am learning as I go here and am fairly new at bike maintenance.

I guess I wasn't reading the manual carefully enough and managed to incorrectly adjust the chain tension (don't ask:deal... way too tight... I am an engineer who reads plans and dimensions all day and still managed to read the diagram wrong:rofl). Promptly went out for about 200 miles of riding over the next couple of days. Some dirt, some road.

Anyway, I just have this feeling that I didn't adjust the chain correctly, and of course do some reading online, re-read the manual and sure enough, I have the chain way too tight. I also read about the catastrophic potential of riding with a tight chain. So now I am a little worried.

I don't think I damaged anything, the transmission still is working fine, no leaks from countershaft seal (at least from what I can tell), sprockets and chain look no worse for the wear, no play in wheel bearings, so I think I am OK.:freaky

I have re-adjusted the chain using the method in the manual (push the chain up towards swing-arm from a point 30mm back from the chain slider with 5mm clearance to the swing arm itself). Now I am second guessing myself that it is too loose. My last bike was a Honda 450X a few years back and I recall the chain being tighter than this.

Do KTM chains operate a little looser than other bikes? What is everyone's thoughts on possible damage done to the bike due to my nice tight chain run, that just hasn't appeared yet?
  4. slidefighter

slidefighter Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, guys. Unfortunately, my dealer is a 400 mile round trip away from here. I'll give them a call and see what they suggest though, that is a very good idea.

What a great bike!

Lee...
  5. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Was the chain tight when the rear axle, swing arm pivot and front sprocket formed a straight line? If not, then absolutely no damage was done. If it was then it's a matter of "how tight". If there is no visible damage, no leaks, and nothing is bent (you should probably put a dial indicator on the front sprocket shaft), then you may be ok.
  6. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't specifically check at axle/pivot/sprocket alignment position before I backed off the tension, but I am pretty sure it was too tight. Instead of 5mm clearance from swing arm (as per manual), I had about 30mm play (as per my dumbass initial read of the manual).

I just went out and checked the countershaft/sprocket area. Definitely no play and no leaking. I don't have a dial indicator but spun the wheel/looking at the shaft and nothing appears bent to the eye. There were no abnormal vibrations when riding today (after loosening adjustment).

Hopefully I dodged the bullet. Suppose I'll just keep riding and see how it goes.

Update: Went out and checked again. By eye the CS spins straight as an arrow. Maybe I will pick up a dial indictor to double check. I assume this is a hardened piece of steel and and pretty tough to bend, with seals, sprockets and bearings giving out before the shaft. Also if it was bent, I would also assume the seal would surely be leaking (currently looks clean as a whistle). Some of the stories I have read show that the seal leaks if you look at it wrong.:evil
  7. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you didn't damage anything. I'd still borrow an indicator and then you can definitely not worry about it again.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Depends on the KTM, the PDS system that's on the race bikes requires a lot looser chain. The 690 has a standard linked suspension like most other bikes so there's no need to run it any looser then what you're used to.
  9. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I go removing the CS sprocket to check the shaft with a dial indicator, will I need to replace the lock washer (the bent one), when I put it back together? Or can I just pound it as flat as I can and use a new area of that washer to bend against the nut?
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You can reuse them a couple times.
  11. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    The other way around ...

Because the oem pedal bends so easily, it is known the pedal tip punched through the cover once bended ... Keep your oem pedal and have things broken. Like Mitch said, it is your decision ...

Pauljr
  12. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    This is what happened to mine, though it looks like I saved the cover.
  13. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chain tension: One way to check tension is to stand to the right side of the bike, face the seat, place full weight of body on seat by leaning chest/gut on seat, so as to compress shock the most you can (grab the swing arm on left side of bike as you are putting body weight on seat and pull downwards to compress shock more) and check chain tension....it should have just a bit of slack.

That's my method for the pro-link as well as RFS smaller bore KTMs.

That as well as the method outlined in manual...

You will likely hear chain-slap when operating bike if tension is too loose.
  14. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the bikes you mention, but on the 690, you just put it on the side stand and measure the tension. Basically you want it to almost, but not quite, be able to touch the swingarm.

[​IMG]
  15. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, we are all experts here:rofl.

Lotsa ways to manage your chain :ear
  16. HAFFMT

HAFFMT n00b

Oddometer:
    Starting issue ended up being a bad battery.

Bike would start once if I fully charged the original battery, but if I shut the bike off and then immediately tired to restart, it was a no go.
  17. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Usually when you adjust the chain to tight it stretches the chain un evenly . I would jack the rear wheel up . Rotate the wheel & check the chain tension in several different locations . If it goes from loose to tight , loose to tight . You have damaged your chain . If not , don`t worry about the rest .
  18. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    chain too tight = faster chain wear, faster sprocket wear, danger of damaging CS seal or countershaft.
  19. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, I wouldn't worry about counter shaft anything...if it's not leaking no need to fix it. Just adjust chain properly and keep riding.
  20. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Know it's been done on the 12's, but has anyone done it on a 13 yet?

I was looking at it today, and the clutch line looked dicey for distance.

Thanks