2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was one of the printed manuals next to the new bikes; glanced it in the technical data part of it.
  2. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`n not keen with the position (according to another forum member) regarding the pillion pegs since this bike will be to a big part a pillion bike with my luggage system to cross Australia.
    Did that with my DL650 but it was not perfect regarding buffeting, seat, suspension and fuel consumption in head wind.
    Pretty sure you can put a bracket or something to change the position?
    Love these riding reports that start to come in.
    Would be lovely with one including a good fuel consumption test, the R models seat comfort, handlebar vibration, pillion comfort and more during long trips.
    Cheers!
  3. SwedishViking

SwedishViking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time and more extended rides will tell more, so take these comments for what they are:
    - I had no problems myself with the passenger pegs but my friend did. In fact, I think that it could well have been more so on the regular 1190 since it had a lower saddle, which automatically gives a different angle on the legs, and some then moves the feet further back. It is also rider dependent so do not read too much into that comment but go try for yourself.
    - I could not notice much of handlebar vibration, but then again we did mostly accelerate/braking so no real "crusing".
    - the seat on the R looks like a nice quality seat and I was positively surprised how comfortable it was. Only hours in the saddle will tell if it decompresses.

Cheers, J.
  4. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fuel consumption:
    today after 200km up and down the montains the average was 16,94 km x lt, multiplied by 23 lt makes a total autonomy of 389 km.
  5. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly an effect of the steering damper - I think both models have one standard. (Or the head bearings are too tight!)

Thanks for the comments. Great to hear from you early adopters. :D
  6. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow nice, that makes less then 6 L/100km
    how many kilometres do you already have on odometer?
  7. Tails_KTM

Tails_KTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, both the Adventure and R models have a steering damper from WP. It's non-adjustable.
    What I mean is, when I try to ride over a painted line, I inadvertedly weave a bit rather than stay on the line. No drunkenness involved. Could be a higher center of gravity, or tires, I don't know.
  8. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could live with just under 6L/100k`s. Love my DL650`s 4.2L/100k`s but with double the power, almost double the cc, heavier, slightly cold weather where the KTM`s figure is from it is not bad, just wonder how accurate the fuel computer readout is to the odo meter?
    If the seat is better, vibes same or less, great power delivery, good for pillion and some more that you can expect if a bike cost more than double than my less spec DL but it has been trust worthy and managed to go to most places where my buddies GS1200, XTZ1200 and other adventure bikes been.
    Just need to justify the quite a bit of money that an additional bike would cost.
    Will sell the DL & most likely my B-King but the R1 is a keeper which would complement the 1190 nicely.
    If it arrives in April here in Australia it is only a few more weeks for a test ride.
    I enjoy reading this forum with really good people that will try to help others.
  9. igorpetrovich

Oddometer:
    around 350 km, but I'm not finished for the week end, I'm getting addicted....
    this morning it was the first time I drove it on dry asphalt, it turns very well and you feel very confident in dropping down the bike, it's hard to belevive there's 21'' wheel in the front.
  10. igorpetrovich

Oddometer:
    regaring fuel consumption I have to clarifiy a couple of points.

the comuter is accured beause, I refilled the bike after the ride, the figure were something like 260 km and less then 16 lt.

as with most bikes the driving style is important, with the 1190 when driving italian winding roads, I rearly went over 5000 rev. by driving this thing between 2000 and 5000 rev. you get a fantastic kick and you go f...ing fast too.
    it very different from the 990 where I used tu drive it at much higher rev., also because on slow rev. it isn't as smoth.
    I guess that on more open and large roads (wiithout speed limit issues) the consuption would increase a significatelly.
  11. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    48mpg (UK) or 40mpg (US)

Sounds pretty good for a tight new motor.
  12. MLCavassa

MLCavassa Monkey in a Suit

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... If true, that's rather disappointing. Bike electrical systems, auxiliary lighting, heated gear, GPS; there won't be much to spare.
  13. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes in my opinion too; my tiny f800r has 400 watts alternator. Can't imagine with fog lamps, heated grips and seats. :-))
  14. vanilla

vanilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many things now are low power consumption, eg LED lights.
  15. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    450w is the same output as the 990 Adventure is. Don't forget that on the 1190 the dip beam goes out in daylight and you just have the LED lights around the headlamp on - saving 50w or so.
  16. MLCavassa

MLCavassa Monkey in a Suit

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that will be the case on the US spec bike..?

Regardless, I guess my point is that for all the 1190's up-spec'd whizz-bangetry, this is one spec that (again, if true..) puts it at the bottom of the maxi-class adventure tourers:

Triumph Explorer - 950W
    BMW R1200GS - 720W
    Yamaha Super Tenere: 600W
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio: 550W

I'm mean really, KTM couldn't even beat MG..? :huh
  17. Pedrogomezrios

Pedrogomezrios Quiet

Oddometer:
    I only can say that i felt in love. Looking to change my R 1200 GSA for one 1190 adventure And go for a RTW trip next year.... Sweet dreams.
  18. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Heated gear on a KTM? How much does a GPS draw? Not much I'm thinking.
    Aux light is probably LED anyways so ~50W max. for 2 lights.
  19. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will experience it in a few days, but can't stop myself from wondering; does the engine temperature increases at the longer red light or traffic jam stops. I remember having my 990, pulled aside for long minutes for seeing the red temperature warning light coming on, during warm days in the traffic.
  20. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new modell is down to 580W. Obviously modern bikes don´t need that much.