2013 Latin America Rider Rallye - Everyone's Welcome

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Algodones.
    Most dentists per sq/hectare....:)
    You can search it.
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Evidence that we're getting old: we used to be all "Check out that hot babe from south of the border!" and now we're all like, "Mexico dentists provide affordable dental solutions to the budget-minded traveler."
  3. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe so.
    There also comes a time when testosterone becomes a little less blinding. :D

I hope you do visit CC. All kids like Disney Whatever, and all adventurous travelers like CC.
  4. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    As long as I'm not the target shoot away.

Cograts to your daughter.

I'm currently in Hermosillo. While motoring along about 75 this , 110 mile east of Hermosiillo my rear Wilbers shock snapped in two. Fortunately it didn,t happen on any one of the thousand curves between Creel and Hermosillo.

A older mexican gentleman , his son and his girlfriend stopped. Try calling 047 or 911 when you don't speak spanish. The three of us got the pig loaded in his samll pickup, no easy feat with the back tire firmly up against the inside of the rear ender.

They drove me to Hermosiilo and dropped me of at the hotel where I need to figure out how to get a rear shock for 2001 1150GS
  5. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You will be in charge of the presentation that, previously, Throttlemeister was in charge of: how to ride and repair an 1150 with a broken rear shock.
  6. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    That is circus maximas... Wear you ass out, for sure.

Best of luck to you.
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Ok, so you Mexico experts can help me out: mapquest says 600ish miles from Tucson to Batopilas. I don't have a ton of time for a few weeks in Mexico. You know my style: zip here and there at a kazillion miles an hour, tag an iron butt badge, then zip back. I do want to see Copper Canyon. If I start in Tucson, can I get to Batopilas in a day? Two days? How long does it take to ride down to the bottom? And back up? Can I do it in a week from Tucson and back to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo in a week?

Otherwise I'll probably just fly do Tucson and rent a car and not to Copper Canyon in May.

thanks,

Bananaman.
  8. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    You Bman may be able to get to Bato and back to Flagstaff in 7 days. There is still a border crossing both ways. The road to Creel from Hermosillo is one twisty son of a bitch and as always being aware of the traffic. The little ms & I happened to catch the road when it was raining for 2 days and very foggy and stuff (boulders,etc) sluffing off the hillside. Some day we are looking forward to riding it when it is dry and sunny.
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I say 2.5 days from Tucson to Batopilas if you're really hoofin' it. Border BS additional hour or two. The regular road to Batopilas is under construction but I saw where some guys were able to get through. Just depends on what cut of the road they're working on. The other routes to Batopilas are far more time consuming and remote. Sounds like my kind of trip; not too much planning.
  10. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    To Batopilas and back is not doing CC.
    Make some time, seriously.
    Add the extra special toppings....
  11. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    You can get from Douglas to Creel easily in one day. I've done it several times. The road to Batopilas is paved part way down the first steep section. So two days to Batopilas from Tucson is easy. Agua Prieta Aduana for permits is easy.

Add another day if you want to go via Hermosillo to Basaseachic and Hwy 23 to Creel.

Lots of curves. A speeding drunk? going waaaayy wide on corner just about nailed me a couple of days ago. Watch those blind left handers stay way to the right side of your lane.

I rode to the end of the new pavement three days ago. Lots of heavy equipment but the crew was ready to wave me through. In hindsight its lucky I turned back to Creel. That would have been quite the clusterfuck if my shock broke down there. If you wait another couple of years it will probably be paved the whole way. Glad I rode it in 2006 when there was no pavement

A week from Tucson is plenty.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was assuming he would do the trans-sierra route from the Hermosillo side and through San juanito but I guess it would be faster to ride over to N. Casas Grandes and down; but what a shame to miss Mex 16 and 23. Some of the best motorcycling anywhere.
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Presidio, TX is the closest border if you're headed to Creel.

Yes, MX 16 is a bucket list road to ride. :deal
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I've got planting in early May, and hay to bale in the end of May and then non-stop until October except for a few days of LARRing. 550 acres don't farm themselves. There's a small window and that's it. I just want to see Copper Canyon.
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    So this new farm, just west of Boaz, according to my lawyer I need to title it in an LLC, and he says I can name it anything I want, and he says I can even call it "Wisconsin Banana Export LLC." The sellers, when I told them, Laughed Their Asses Off, which I take as a good sign.

I could Also call it "Latin America Rider Rallye Headquarters," which is my close-second choice for a name.
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    New Deal: Nata Harli is out. Apparently he blew his wad in Cambodia having the time of his life, and now he has a new job that includes working just about every summer weekend. Sure, it's not going to be the same without him, especially since he's been the biggest disorganizer.

So, we're going to need somebody else to pick up the disorganizing where Nata Harli didn't even get started.

If nobody picks a real spot, you can fall back to where we were yesterday, or I mean last year. Maybe Throttlemeister can pick up where Nata Harli left off.

As for Copper Canyon, or anywhere south of the border, I'm very seriously trying to figure out how to get there in May, probably before my daughter graduates from the University of Tucson.

Except that I might drive a minivan...

But I digress.

Finding a spot, like a camp site, isn't really that hard. All the usual complaints, "It's too hot/cold/windy/remote" don't apply, on account of already having had it in the snow, which set the bar pretty high for a low point.

If we have it at my place, the cost is zero, except for what you eat and drink. There are barns and sheds for shelter and stuff, there's room for camping, and there might even be room in the house for a few FF's- last year I think we squeezed a total of six guys into the three upstairs bedrooms, the front porch, and the living room. The rest camped.
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the sake of making it easy and without Ken's great leadership and with a small desire to make the Very Boring Rally nearby I wouldn't mind stacking these two get-togethers up this year.
    Still have yet to figure out if I'm having some screws/plate removed in VZ in July. So it is still iffy for me but I've always wanted to go to that aerostich rally, just have to check those dates...
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Very Boring Rally, Aug 23, Duluth.

Jon: they will welcome you as their King.
  19. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah right me in a beat up old rally2 jacket and pants:rofl

They would be more likely to kick me out the door, however I've always had a hardon for that transit jacket:evil

Sounds like the time that I would want to be making a trip up in your area.

Copper Canyon would be so much better in October but I can't commit at this point.

I was just thinking crashing the place at Paraiso del Osa outside or someplace in Creel like Margaritas and call it good time riding and partying with Latin(and the Worldwide rider) lovers in Copper Canyon:freaky

Maybe...
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Yes, you will be welcomed as their King, especially with that old 1150, and especially especially if you just lay it down outside instead of using the kick stand or the center stand.

But wait- the Paraiso del Osa is like US$120/night? And you expect us to believe you stayed there?