trip to Grand Cayon area, Dual sport roads

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by One Less Harley, Nov 27, 2013.

1. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I've been giving some thoughts to a ride to reward myself after graduation/ certification in the medical field and have been thinking about the Grand Canyon area. Just planing on exploring the region for about two weeks on a BMW R80 G/S. I'll be riding solo so don't want to go to extreme, but really don't want to be on pavement. Good dirt/fire roads would be great with MAYBE some very light sand. My riding experience on sand is very little and a loaded G/S isn't the best. Tires will be good 50/50 Heideneua's K70's. I've done the TAT on a DRZ but since I'll be solo, taking risk isn't what I'd like to do.

Preferably camping will all be free, hopefully with some sort of running water nearby,i.e. streams or the like. Most likely in the early spring, unless clinicals is scheduled right after graduation. Area that seem interesting are Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, but I'm pretty open at this point.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    so you just can't enter Indian reservations and pass through?? How much do permits cost???
  4. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    I think most actual dirt roads, yes, but some of the routes taken on DSMoto's ride had to get permits for certain areas. I think they were $5 or so. PM Strega here on ADV as he should have info.

The BAR 10 ride didn't require permits.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of decent roads out here around the Grand Canyon, most of them are GSable. Plenty of free camping as well.

PM me when you are headed this way.
  6. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I was looking via Google and it looks like plenty for dirt roads in the area. I know around here in South Central KY dirt or even gravel roads are like hen's teeth. Not sure exactly when I'll be getting out that way, could be as early a May or as late as 1st of July. So I've got plenty of time to research a bit.

Stealth camping should be easy to do int he area??? What is the BAR10 ride route???
  7. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Stealth camping on BLM land no problems.. Don't try it in the National Park. Toroweap is great and here is the link for Bar 10..

http://www.bar10.com/

Lots of miles to be ridden out there. Fuel planning mandatory. :eek1
  8. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    Dualsportmaps looks a bit down right now but Strega will have the gpx file. There is a very minimal map on the BAR10 site but some googlefoo might turn one up from St George.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a report on a Grand Canyon ride we did last May. Some of this might be a little difficult solo on your bike. We did have one guy on a KTM 990.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892221

This might give you some ideas.

If you stay on major dirt roads on Navajo land, it is very unlikely anybody will bother you. Permits are $5/day. I have never bought one though. And I'm sure paved roads are okay.
  10. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    fuel supply..got it covered....

[​IMG]
  11. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Camping is no problem on BLM or forest land. You are supposed to have a permit but I have never been checked in 30yrs:1drinkThe national monuments are another story. Most are reservation only and must camp in designated areas. I would look into doing the north rim of GC and southern Utah, Zion Bryce Moab and Canyon lands. all great areas....
  12. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike...

What Miles per Gallon does that machine get? Just wondering .
  13. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    37-42 Hwy....not that good, 11 gallons of gas, guess I should buy a locking gas cap. but it would be so easy to drain fuel from the petcocks why bother, but then again thieves aren't that smart.

Looks like so many fun places to explore. Problem I have is stopping and taking the sights in... to much riding..:clap
  14. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't forget zion it's awesome, also 12 in ut. I didn't get to do it, but hells backbone to the burr trail looked like what your after again in ut