KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I've never run at sea level. But if your bike is running well now. I should run well at sea level.
  2. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Running JD's kit, at recommended sea level settings, plus the o-ring mod, and the AP mod (all included).

Best $75 i've ever spent!
  3. motomark39

motomark39 I reckon so Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb What he said
  4. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    By the way, I would not have done this mod, if the stock jetting had not been so lean at sea-level. It ran like crap.
  5. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    it had to to pass emmisions.
  6. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
  7. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like everyone is enjoying the 530. I'm likely going to replace my xr400 with a 530exc soon. These KTM's are great bikes!

Now, how about some more pics?:evil
  8. motomark39

motomark39 I reckon so Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :thumb
  9. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike.

One question - does anyone ever use the ignition curve plug? The manual is quiet about it, other than pointing it out in the wiring diagram... I assume it is the white and black wire at the top left of the gas tank. I've not unplugged it yet, but am interested in people's opinions.

Thanks!
  10. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    Current (over packing) setup for 2 weeks off the bike in Baja.
    [​IMG]
  11. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, what sort of gear have you added? I recall this was Ned's first bike, right? Obviously there is some Wolfman gear (good choice!). What sort of range do you get with that tank and how many gallons? Thanks!
  12. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    I played around with running the bike with the wire plugged in or not, I "think" it feels more mellow with the wire unplugged, but it might be my imagination. Can anyone confirm? Ned?

Also, I've been having some issues with white smoke, especially when I leave the bike running while on the sidestand. I think I must have overfilled the oil last time I added 100ml...
  13. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:

Motomark always sets em up sweet. I think he sells em pretty regularly as well?

My problem right now is that i want a 530 and a 950SE, and that ain't in the budget, so I gotta decide. Who knows, maybe even one is not in the budget. I always run a balanced budget, no deficits.
  14. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem....:cry
  15. lstewart

lstewart Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer:
    I'm kicking around the idea of a 530 as my next bike. Still in the research mode.
    That's quite a load on that bike. Any concerns about subframe stability?
  16. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    just got back from 16 days in Baja with that setup. Not a concern and subframe is perfect after inspection. There is a Pro Moto Billet rack under the dry bag. Real nice mounting system to the subframe.

[​IMG]
  17. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    3.2 gal. I was getting about 140 at sea level average. On sandy day, 130. Road day at 65mph about 120. (should have geared up for that trip my only regret)
  18. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sick as a dog, so just saw this thread had popped back up and figured I'd add a couple things.

1) I put a dirttricks 50T sprocket on my 08 out of the box. Then I kept it when I sold that to Hair, and put it on my 09. I kept it when I sold that bike to cvestal, and now have it on my '10. I bought another one for my other wheel, and when I compare the two, they look identical.

The original sprocket has at least 300 hours of use. I typically get 60-80 hours from a set of chain and sprockets... to say I'm impressed is an understatement. Chains last much better too, because they aren't being stretched across uneven sprocket spacing. Cool product- a little spendy up front, but clearly worth it!

2) The wolfman enduro saddlebags (in cvestals pic above) fit perfectly and don't move around at all. Definitely a good solution if you're doing an epic, and plenty of space for everything you need except camping gear.

3) An interesting performance comparison: I've got a little track that I practice on which is basically 2nd and 3rd gear grasstrack through a field. Some of the corners have rutted and bermed, some are still flat and loose. There's a little vertical relief, but not much. A lap consists of full gas, full brakes, corner, full gas, full brakes, corner. Speeds are never higher than about 30, never lower than about 10.

Here's a pic from it:

[​IMG]

Anyway, in repeated experiments, my best lap times are exactly the same on the 300 and 530. To the tenth. Repeatedly.

The 300 feels faster, but the 530 is easier to be precise with because the motor is so predictable. But even so, I've had clean laps on the 300 and they weren't faster than clean laps on the 530. Next step will be to run 10 laps for time on each bike, and see if I eek out an advantage in consistency.

Not much of a point to this story, beyond that I find it fascinating that the 530 is clearly competent at something you might assume the 300 would be superior at, and that the stopwatch is always interesting.

4) Nothing of interest to report on the 2010. Valves haven't moved @ 40some hours (I've been gone a lot) and suspension has broken in to be just as good as the 09.

More riding, please!
    BullHab and 4x4family1 like this.
  19. lymanwhite

lymanwhite Monkee Bidness

Oddometer:
    One question - does anyone ever use the ignition curve plug? The manual is quiet about it, other than pointing it out in the wiring diagram... I assume it is the white and black wire at the top left of the gas tank. I've not unplugged it yet, but am interested in people's opinions.

'I played around with running the bike with the wire plugged in or not, I "think" it feels more mellow with the wire unplugged, but it might be my imagination. Can anyone confirm? Ned?'

Good question, bump.
  20. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Flanny installed a map switch on his 450. He told me he could clearly notice a mellowing of the power which made the bike more tractable in the tight woods.

2nd hand info, but it's a good source. I've recently done the same on my 450 but no chance to ride yet - I'll report back after an upcoming run to Hatfield McCoy in a coupla weeks.

dc