Replace My Uly with ?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Murf2, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I'm thinking of replacing my Uly & the wife's SuperTT but I'm not sure what bikes to look at. Please give me your thoughts.

I really like the Buells except for the heat, I could use a lower seat height, although the Uly could be lower and I'd like a larger front wheel & better "off-pavement" handling.

What bikes would you suggest we look at? Money IS an object, I'm sorry to say.

I looked in the "what bike after a Uly"thread but most of those answers seemed to be more "road" oriented.

Thanks!

Murf2
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the realistic budget?
  3. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, That would help, wouldn't it? Not set in stone but maybe $7,500ish. I'm thinking used, of course.
  4. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Wee for you and a KLX 250 for her.:dunno

The Wee may not be the answer to off road exactly.
  5. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    My brother was faced with the same question and had basically the same requirements. He chose a Suzuki DR650 and set it up with Adventure bike farkles (or rather essentials) after riding mine. This choice does require work on the part of the owner to do the inatallations but personalizing the bike to your own personal needs and desires is part of the fun. There is one other requirement. You might need to park the old ego and get over yourself because you won't get many oohs and aahs while parked in front of the tavern from the Euro bike affecianados. What you will get is a very reliable, low maintenance bike that is lighter than a KLR (no disrespect intended) and can be pretty much anything you want within reason and will do anything from 75 mph on the freeway for days in a row to fairly technical off road work and it will do it comfortably and and for a long time properly equipped. Obviously, there are a lot of choices but if you would rather have fun setting up the bike and then riding, more than doing lots of routine maintenance the DR650 could be the one. I have owned 2 KTM 640 Adventures and ridden a BMW GS800, Triumph 800 Tiger, KTM 950 Adventure, V-Strom, Versys and plenty of off road bikes and dual sports and I just keep coming back to the Suzuki for its economy, simplicity of air/oil cooling, aftermarket parts availability, low vibration under 80 mph, decent handling, relative light weight. It's the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles in my opinion. For ADV work it needs suspension work, help breathing, comfortable seat, big tank, low windscreen and whatever else you want. You can buy other more expensive bikes that already have many of these areas covered but they are often much more expensive to maintain. Bottom line...I have had more smiles per mile and more bang for the buck from the two DR650s and earlier SP600 I owned than any other for Adventure touring. All that being said, I would say try to balance what you will need to best do the intended job, with what will put the biggest lasting smile on your face.
  6. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention the DR. There's one of them in the garage. It was my first thought also. I guess I haven't given it a fair chance yet. Bought it just when it started to turn cold and haven't ridden it much. I'm not too impressed with it on the highway, tho. I guess I should wait to make up my mind.

Murf2
  7. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    So you already have one and can spend $15k on the wife. :lol3

Really the DR is rock solid and bullet proof. I keep telling DLJocky since he has one but he won't believe me. He wants an S10. One can buy two new DRs for a new S10. Well almost.
  8. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    But an S10 is twice the fun!
  9. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husky 650 Terra? Smooth engine, fun to ride in the short 15 miles or so I was on it.
  10. ronandkat

ronandkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im a Uly owner, and been a harescrambler for a few decades, Have spent some time on a few of the big singles.
    That being said, after getting used to the Uly and that magic motor, I would be VERY hard pressed to drop back down to a single simply for more dirt ability. There are good offerings to do what your asking , that are well within your price range. KTM 950 would be great for what you wanting, as would a last generation Tiger before the remake.
    An older Multistrada, or Beemer. All can sport a set of TKC80's to help out in the dirt. Just a thought, good luck!
  11. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ronandkat, I hear you, that hugh torque is fun! :D I think the Multistrada deserves a look. I had a GS1150 for a while. We just never really meshed. I really like the Uly. The only issues are seat height & heat. both of which I can work around. The only real issue I'm having is a lack of stability on rough gravel/dirt roads at speed. I am going to try a more aggressive front tire and maybe a steering stabilizer. The front seems to get sucked in to loose gravel real bad. Would you have any suggestions.

JTucker, I think I'll have to give the TR a look. I hope to get a test ride when the weather is nice.

RED CAT I think they are out of my price range but seem very cool. I'll keep my eyes open on them too.

Thanks again to all that have replied!

urf2
  12. ejbeert

ejbeert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 09, I bought an 09 klr650. Farkled with jd jetting, drilled out muffler, 16 tooth cs sprocket, mad stad windshiel, springs for my weight, pelican cases with givi top case. To me it is a better commuter; better on gravel road, more suspenson and lower, easier to get a foot down, better turnig radius, good gas mileage, goes were I want it. I do not use highways expressways; mostly two lane roads and plenty of gravel. I like it. If every thing else had to go, it would stay. It is slow; Electra glide slow. It is a little cramped two up but for 200 miles or so with ice cream and coffee stops it is very doable two up. It is a good handleing bike and fun to ride and I think comfortable solo. I still own the buell, 06 ulysses. I like it as well. I think I would I really would like a cross betwenn the two; may be a 800 cc 6 speed comfortable for two klr. This months dirt bike mag has a nice article on a klr. Greg Frazier has some good stores as well. good hunting
  13. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Funny, I have a GSA and a DR650 and I want a Uly in the stable!

I think that you are always going to find the Uly is a poor gravel bike because the front wheel is so small. There is a reason that sport bikes have 17" fronts, GS's have 19" fronts and real dual sports and dirt bikes have 21" wheels. There are a lot of threads in GSpot about how much better the GS is off road with a 21" front wheel and Woody sells a lot of conversions.

The thing that makes the Uly rock on pavement is the same thing that makes it poor on gravel. A damper and a TKC would help but it's never gonna be great. I'd also be worried about getting rocks in the belt (but most people think that is a non-issue).

Life's full of compromises - if it were me, I'd keep the Uly and ride the DR650 in the gravel.
  14. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would look for a very nice, street registered WR250F, a KTM 250-530RFS, or maybe the Husky 250 (with it's low seat height). I had a DR650, and it was a great run about street bike, as long as I kept it off of the slab, but it was a horrible dirt bike. It was just too heavy. Look for lighter weight bikes. Light weight is the gift that keeps on giving. If you do try to replace your Uly, you might have to look at a Multistrada, the KTM990's, or, well, that's about it for the lighter end of the Adventure bike class. Everything else is just much heavier.
  15. Thrux181

Thrux181 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Murf2,

I went from a Uly to a Triumph Scrambler. It's not the lightest but the 19 in front and a 5 inch longer wheel base make it more stable off road. I seat height fits me well and it's got all the power I need.

Bill
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://youtu.be/CyJZQIViejQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CyJZQIViejQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The scrambler is a SICK bike. I realize Ernie Vigil is an absolute animal on it, but its one of those "road" bikes that just makes an awesome dual sport. I almost bought one but couldnt afford it. If you browse forums that focus on them everyone will say its not meant to go off road....and everyone else will reply with pictures of them up a mountain or in 12 inches of mud. Touring accessories available, lots of class and character. You may miss the ability to GOOOOOOOO though, because its not a real fast bike.

Still- its incredible.
  17. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I did the same. It's well under your price range used, and with TKC80s it's an absolute blast on gravel roads, much better than my ULY. Similar weight, but MUCH lower seat height and CG. It's not as hooligan on the road as the ULY, but still fun. In fact, one of the thing I love about the Scrambler is that it just "feels" right at 50-65mph, whereas the Uly always wanted to go 90. That, and price, we the primary reasons I went with the Scrambler over the Tiger 800. I still dream about the Tiger though.

On the negative side, Scrambler suspension is rougher without a doubt.

And don't get one if you're anti-social, cause they are "old guy" magnets at every stop.
  18. Thrux181

Thrux181 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can make them the way [​IMG]you want.