Paint or powdercoat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mav, Jan 8, 2013.

1. philgunn

philgunn BMW R80gs offroad + HP2

Oddometer:
    Not to many powder coaters in my neck of the Woods...
    do you happen to KNOW what they dip it into . have tried all manner of removers inc Starstrip , nitromors . spray on Gasket removers etc ?

2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    My powdercoater says aircraft paint stripper. Good stuff and about the only stripper that will take the BMW silver paint off. Mind you we haven't tried it on powder just yet. Couple more weeks and we will test.
  3. philgunn

Oddometer:
    Try and get a name for me and I would like to try it
    thanks
  4. RSRennsport

RSRennsport Navigator

Oddometer:
    I used to have my stuff powder-coated. When it comes to frame, sub-frame and all hard to get to places for cleaning, I use POR 15 now. Never seen a chip or scratch yet.
  5. RSRennsport

RSRennsport Navigator

Oddometer:
    POR 15 has an array of different products for pretty much any application. I have used the tank sealant, engine and caliper paint and their frame products. All work like a charm.
  6. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am contemplating the same thing. I have a rusty frame and thought PC would be the way to go. As for Por-15, I understand it does not like UV rays and turns cloudy if exposed overtime to sunlight. Don't know if it's true though.
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I will.....may not be a product available overseas under that specific brand name. Couple weeks anyway I'll be back there, I bought different powders and some is high heat, if that doesn't work I'll really need some stripper.:wink:Hum....and I was using the product a couple weeks back on BMW silver but no time to test on powder. I did not even pay attention to the brand.:cry I know it is safe for aluminium and magnesium. But not that we want to powdercoat magnesium, that's opening a whole big can of worms that.:eek1

May jog someone memory....it is jelly like and blueish, came in a gallon with red & blue markings from somewhere in the USAs.:ear
  8. philgunn

Oddometer:
  9. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm a powder coater. I use B17 stripper from Benco Sales. I buy it by the 55 gallon drum. It's Methylene Chloride and is infinitely reusable as long as you don't leave the lid off and let it evaporate.

It's pretty simple really. Just tie a chain or wire to the part and dunk it in the tank for 5 minutes. When you pull it out, all the powdercoat will be gone.