Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Canadasmotorcycle.com has great prices, selection and free shipping. All of my tires come from them. 2 to 4 days shipping from Montreal.

No mention of the MCE Karoo here suprises me. They last quite well on the big bikes and perform well on road and off. I think I paid about $200 for my last set. I ran a 150 on the XRR and it performed great at sub 10 psi. Angry stiff sidewall so you can run flat on small bikes. XR650R is a small bike... You can tell I ride a 990...

Wes

Loving life
  2. XSoCal

XSoCal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd post a link here - I've been out of action for the past few weeks waiting for parts, which are now in and on, after giving the KTM a work out on a 7000 KM ride. I posted a brief ride report in the Orange Crush section. I talked to so many people on the trip I wound up representing for Calgay riders across the US, so in case anyone is interested it is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895746

Btw on the tire thread, I have a TKC on the rear, and I'm eating through it at an alarming rate...only going to get a few thousand kms out of it.
  3. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

:huh

I tend to think the XRR, 690, 640, 610, etc , are considered the upper end of the small bikes.

I've never ran a Karroo. Not a very common tire. I've only seen a few. Might have to check them out.
  4. Boggking

Boggking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where can I get a rear wheel respoked localy that isn't going to cost me five hundred dollars?

Thanks in advance.
    BK>
  5. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Its all doable on big Adventure bikes so easy peasy on Dualsports. All the action is about 20km from the south end. Lycan 1 posted a pic earlier but easy to get around. Also a small land slide but about 2 feet wide for getting across. Also a small well made new bridge to cross. Can't do it in a vehicle for sure. On another note, Eureka, Montana has the best and most Adventure Bike riding known to man! Only 4 hours away. Unfreakingbelievable.
  6. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    I run a Karoo front on my dirt rim (21x1.60) and a Heidenau on my 21x2.15 for fronts. I keep a 908 rear around but am in love with my rear Mefo Super Explorer. 908 rear I can only get about 900k, but the Mefo is around 8000K with the same riding. Basically the longevity of the Heidenau rear but more aggressive. It's apparently made in the same factory as the Heidenau's.
    I'm on a 2011 990 Adventure that has 15000K on her.
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    For $500, you could get a new wheel! Let us know if you find anyone , I have a RMZ front that needs to be trued.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've built a number of wheels for myself and a fellow inmate. If you are still looking for truing or re-spoke send me a PM. I can post some pics of my work if interested.

Jason
  9. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

If they last that long on a 990, imagine what they would last on 650 or sub bikes!! Worth checking out for those doing big trips.

Well, my ride this weekend started at 5:45 Saturday and ended at 3:45 Monday morning...

We ran through snow, mud, rivers, random bush wacking, and lots of rocks and logs.

Castle Pass (formal name??) is now passable. There is is a 40-50 ft section of snow, then threading a needle up a hill around another deposit of snow to connect to the trail.

*** Be warned. If you pass down the other side its a point of no return. It could be the longest constant steep grade decent I've ever done. Ends up in an old trail that hasn't seen much (any?) use in many years. Almost completely overgrown by bush. You have to ride through this thick bush for a few KM's with a few stream crossings and some large logs, eventually bush wacking to get to the next trail. It was good times.

We then toured and spelunked some mines, diped our toes in some hot springs (they were warm), and ran into snow going over top of the world causing us to re-route. This pass needs a few weeks more of warm weather. We did found out that Sulpher Creek is open with only some minor washing out of the road in one section which is easily navigated by any bike size. Creek Crossing / Koko (sp?) claims appears to be snowed in yet but we did not confirm because it was about 8:45 by this time and some bikes were low on gas.

2 hours of sleep. A little tired at work but stoked for such a good weekend! Looking forward to the next! Maybe do a mid week singletrack ride.
  10. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always good to know...

Have you been to Utah or Colorado...it might raise the bar even from Eureka.
  11. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I've rode Eureka, and as good as Montana and Idaho are (both are pretty damn impressive and puts our stuff to shame), I agree that Colorado and SE Utah top the rest.

Colorado is heaven for bike owners, and to me, I really like the state. It tops my list of states I'd like to live in.

Relaxed vibe, friendly people, stunning views, that ability to "get away" with easy access etc. I'd like to do a two week trip in the near future where one is spent in Moab, the next exploring loops around the Colorado mountains... droool..

For those who fish it also looks like a fishing paradise. Roads (dirt, gravel, pavement) skirt rivers and small lakes. Very little private land here. Just park your car and walk 30' and start tossing the flies.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Shibby
    I just rode all the roads in the NWT's for the last 14 days and fished everyday!! What a hoot and a great way to slow down and smell the fish, dozens of em...Arctic Graying, Dolly Vardens and monster Pike! Caught one 10 lb pike:D

Yellowknife is only 1800kms from Calgary and yet a whole new world of gravel travel to all the Fort's and zero traffic.
  13. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

And mosquitos that carry you away.... =)

That's the single biggest reason I don't go north. Sad, but true.

Sounds like a good time though! Crazy that it's that close. I think that's MOAB distance though too. Would be nice for a change. I'll do it at one point!

Have any pictures to share with us?
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I got more mosquito bites here in Calgary mowing my lawn! I plan to do a report with photos when I return from California after a visit with my son. I have lots of photos to share and some of the photos of the Nahanni are amazing.
  15. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Yes. Rode there 2 years ago and awesome stuff. Its just that Eureka is so close and still a well kept secret. No one there and you have it all to yourself. Alberta and BC are nice but Eureka has got them beat.:clap
  16. XSoCal

XSoCal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report Cal, and any GPS track you might have. Did you get into Nahanni by bike?
  17. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Fyi there are a few of us heading for Limestone mountain on Friday. About 12-12:30 departure from NW Calgary. We're not returning to Calgary though. We're off to Buffalo lake for the weekend but any riders are welcome.

Thats assuming my POS Katoom will actually run for more than a couple of hours. Got a wet foot this morning on the way into work due to a gas line failure. The main line that connects directly to the fuel rail. Six year old bike and the fuel line fails? C'mon KTM (Krista Tows Me). Yes my wife's name is Krista and she had to tow me home today...

Threw away the gay KTM paper filter and added a serviceable inline filter. And replaced all the fuel lines.

[​IMG]

Wish me luck.

Loving life
  18. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inspired by Lycan1's ride in this area a couple weeks ago which he chronicled in his thread titled "Alberta One Weekend at a Time" I loaded up the bike and pointed it south Monday morning. The weather was supposed to be good for the two days, but, as usual, it turned out differently. Not too bad, considering. In any case, I had a great time and only got sprinkled on as I was setting up my tent in the campground last night. I was far enough along that I was able to move everything inside and wait out the short shower, then finish the tent set up. If you read Lycan1's thread you will know that Castle Falls is in SW Alberta near Beaver Mines and West Castle Ski Resort. I managed to do a bunch of gravel as you will see from the photos. The only hiccup in the routing happened when I was 6.4 kms from the campground when I ran into a closed road as I tried to get to the campground from the north. I had to make a 60 km detour to get where I was going. Still, it all worked out and it is not like I was on a timetable. The campground was nice, but I should have picked a spot a bit further from the water as the noise from the river was louder than I expected and it didn't shut off all night!! One of the bonuses of having rain clouds in the area was the rainbows. There were several during the evening. Being Monday night, I had the campground to myself, although a park ranger stopped by so we had a chat and I got some tips on other spots I might try. I was up before dawn, made breakfast, packed up and was on my way this morning by 7:00. The day started off bright and sunny, but the clouds soon started to build to the west. I managed to stay out from under the big storm clouds all the way home. I had to take a few stops to admire the scenery and wait for the storm clouds to clear my path. I ended up riding in the aftermath of some severe weather, but luckily stayed dry myself. The bike, on the other hand, took a lot of elbow grease to get clean when I arrived home. I also I had to dry out my tent and bike cover which I put away wet from the heavy morning dew. The bike ran flawlessly again and I was really happy with all the gear. The only issue I had with gear was that I wasn't able to wear my Camelbak pack as there was no room with my luggage strapped on the back. I will have to see if I can rearrange things for the Yukon trip so I can fit on the seat wearing the Camelbak pack. I have to say that there was some amazing scenery and good light for taking photos. There are a few that I really like.

For those who like to look at a lot of photos here is the link to my photobucket album of the trip.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/f...Motorcycle Photos/2013 -06-17-18 Castle Falls

For the rest of you, here is the abridged version.

Something old and something new

[​IMG]

Anyone who has ridden west of Longview to get to the FTR will have seen this on the south side of the road

[​IMG]

FTR

[​IMG]

Bike posing shamelessly

[​IMG]

Dutch Creek Road

[​IMG]

South of Bellevue

[​IMG]

Detour required

[​IMG]

The campsite

[​IMG]

Castle Falls

[​IMG]

One of several Rainbows

[​IMG]

Breaking Dawn

[​IMG]

The morning started out beautifully

[​IMG]

Spectacular part of Alberta

[​IMG]

More Spectacular

[​IMG]

And yet more Spectacular

[​IMG]

Storm Clouds in my path

[​IMG]

A good reason to take a break

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be spring!

[​IMG]

Yet another reason to stop and admire the scenery

[​IMG]

Nearing Home

[​IMG]

I am glad I did the trip, but need to go back when I have more time.

Cheers. David
  19. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! My 990 resembles this remark! I love the bike, but it is always pulling this sort of shit with me too.

20. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Is it with you 990 Adventure Riders? You must all have to take photography classes before buying your bikes. Awesome pics. More please.