Bike wrecked, insurance question

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Heino, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back to no tow at all for now. The local company wants $2400, the insurance's $4000 and the insurance only covers up to $800. Guess I'm back where I started this morning..
  2. buickid

buickid A little bit of everything.

Oddometer:
    Can you JB weld something onto the engine case to either reconnect the oil cooler, or bypass it completely?
  3. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might be able to JB weld it, bypassing won't work. But the problem is, the bike is about 90 miles away from me.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Check with that Saline 4Wheel group refrenced earlier or back to the diner/bar/gas station/truckstop stalking routine and ask if someone wants to make a quick $800.00 ????? Offer to keep gas tank full and buy a case of their favorite brew.

These guys usually go out there for zip and break stuff that costs them $$$$$$$.

Sounds like my stock GMC Yukon 4X is inadequate or I'd be tempted.

How about finding/flagging down another motorcyclist with an offroad bike that could give you ride 2 up out to the bike and tow you out?

Edit:
    Exactly what bike are we talking about and which line/location is damaged?
    There are some extreemly creative people here who might have repair solution?
    Post on a forum specific to your bike for more ideas.
  5. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doug, one of your numbers was successful! Awesome! Now I can go check out the bars here in town and actually have a drink instead of asking random people for help. :1drink

The part that is broken is the fixing on the engine where the oil pipe from the oil cooler comes in. Welding it back on is probably not an option since space is very limited down there. One easy fix I could imagine would be to take a little off of the flat side of the part that has broken off and drilling the thread in the engine a little deeper, so that the bolt actually threads to the engine again. A more advanced option would include flattening out both surfaces where it broke and also drill a deeper thread. I don't know how hard it is to make it flat perfectly perpendicular to the thread, though. Just my German engineering ;)

I'll see where it goes from tomorrow! Thanks so much! Pictures of all this will be included in my ride report. I guess I cannot not write on anymore after all the help I received through ADV. My weekends until spring next year are herewith booked..
  6. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    It would help us help you if you posted the details of your bike.

You say bypassing the cooler is impractical- what about blocking off that union completely, as well as its counterpart? Is it the flow side, or return? A lot of coolers only take fractional flow so that might be a solution for the meantime.
  7. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Glad someone answered your call.
    Never be afraid to ask for help, hard to tell by looking know who might offer a random act of kindness.

Are you going to need a lift to a dealer or back to San Francisco ????
    Call me 209/747-6453,
    I need a 7 hour headstart.
  8. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Yeah, this. About a hunnert year ago Miller saved me from the results of my own underpreparation and poor planning.

Won't be cheap, tho...

S

9. Magilla

Magilla Team Doom Member

Oddometer:
    Went and got Henry's bike today. Took a stock 3/4 ton supercab shortbed with our 16 ft flat bed down the south pass (ok so the trailer needs new lights)and got his bike. Then proceeded out the north pass cause I'm not sure I could have drug the trailer back up. Long day in the truck. Tomorrow we see what we can do about repairs. :evil

Millers is ok but the prices are HIGH
  10. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yay, after a long bumpy ride the bike is back in civilization!

I think it's the return side. Blocking off might work, I don't remember how exactly the other side looks. We'll have a closer look tomorrow. It's been a long day..
  12. Cale_Kat

Cale_Kat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it with a stock pickup? Who'd have thought? Oh yeah, that'd be me. :-)
  13. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Is the damage at that port that protrudes from the oil filter base? Looks like a prime target for a rock. If it is, you might be able to rethread what's left of the port with pipe thread and then have a hose made with the banjo fitting from the cooler to a pipe thread fitting on the engine side. That's depending on what you have at your disposal where the bike is now. It was just a thought.
  14. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it is totalled, you need to discuss the farkles with them. If they don't pay for them, you can take them off. If you can itemize and justify the price of them, they will pay for them but you can't take them off at that point.
  15. Heino

Heino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha, looks like you can weld the broken off part back on! If the welder now would not have stripped the thread, everything would be perfect. Anyway, this and some spare oil in the topcase should get me to LA tomorrow.
  16. rhiosride

rhiosride n00b

Oddometer:
    Just tell the adjuster you had a wreck. Your policy does not contain a limitation of where the accident happened. Progressive will pay you the actual cash value of the bike less the deductible. You can buy the bike back from them after they salvage the title. You can then sell the parts or fix the bike and then ride it.

Good Luck
    Rhio Nelson
    Insurance Agency Owner,
  17. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang! A lesson here for me. I rarely ask for help, but sometimes there is no choice. Congrats to ADVrider. We are a community that recognizes our individual dilemma's and willing to reach out to help.

:clap
  18. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't read through all the comments. It's a collision accident and should be covered by your collision coverage with a $500 deductible (per what you say). Where you will have trouble is if you say you hit a curb. Most Progressive adjusters have more training than...well, most will know right away if you're lying based on the damage and that will only cause delay. What you've described is a collision accident and explaining exactly what happened is likely to bring about the quickest payment, less your deductible.
  19. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    FYI
    Bikes engine ended up being ruined and insurance company totaled the bike and paid off.
    Poster more than satisified with his insurance experience.
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    What model of bike was this? I want to make sure I never ride one out to the middle of BFE.

:lol3