Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nathanthepostman, May 4, 2009.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer:
    Holy Jebus!

That's fucking classic. GO NATE GO!!!:clap
  2. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received...

We plan your motorcycle by Thai Airways on 19 May 2009 from BKK to KTM because we are waiting paper of dangerous goods certificate to be finished first.

And personal staff of Thai Airways in Katmandu that they will be contacted you for confirmation flight details of shipment.

We would like you to bring us motorcycle and original of Simplified Customs Declaration Form on 16 May 2009 at 10.00am ( open half day only )for measurement crate.

Regards,

K
  3. ADVHOOLIGAN

ADVHOOLIGAN Anything with two wheels.

Oddometer:
    NathanThePostMan your posts and videos make me smile every time I check this thread! I look forward to the rest of your journey, stay safe.:clap :clap :clap
  4. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    This is just stunning...I am d@mn near giddy reading this RR.

Dude, you are my friggin hero! And DOT is a Machine! :]
  5. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Readibg the notification above, reminds me how the service in USA has changed. The day that I receive the same note (here)r finally this country will be diferent.
    Katmandu, these people will ask you here where that place is in the map or probably Africa. Surelly Fedex will tell you sorry and you go nowhere.
  6. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

As me and Dot are now in full panic mode trying to get ready for this flight to Nepal i thought I'd get the pics from Malaysia and Thailand uploaded now and do the stage report later.

Ta
    Nathan and Dot

(in no real order)

Me and Dot put our feet up in Koh Chang
    [​IMG]

Another hill we had to get off and push. Koh chang on our way to the most remote hostel I've ever seen
    [​IMG]

Dot on the way down
    [​IMG]

Protective footwear optional
    [​IMG]

Don't get in the tuk tuk. We heard so many stories about people being taken all over town to visit shops they didn't want go. At night the drivers stand by the road asking if you want 'boom boom'.
    [​IMG]

Dot caught a fish, it was this big.
    [​IMG]

I go hunting with water pistols....
    [​IMG]

And get very wet.
    [​IMG]

Him too
    [​IMG]

The whole street got wet
    [​IMG]

Dot stayed out of it
    [​IMG]

Until these clowns ruined her hair-do
    [​IMG]

Mine too
    [​IMG]

Something for the boys....
    [​IMG]

And something for the girls...
    [​IMG]

Dot takes cover in Bangkok
    [​IMG]

You often find her in 7Eleven
    [​IMG]

Roadside chicken. Delicious and cheap
    [​IMG]

Camping at a National Park south Thailand
    [​IMG]

Drinking instant coffee I'd made in the cafe nearyby.
    [​IMG]

The last picture taken on my old camera before it mysteriously stopped working. A sad day.
    [​IMG]

Beauty and the Beast. You decide which is which
    [​IMG]

Spot Dot
    [​IMG]

Practising handstands on Phucket beach
    [​IMG]

It rained that night. A lot.
    [​IMG]

And I camped on the beach
    [​IMG]

And remembered to brush my teeth
    [​IMG]

1300 steps to the top.
    [​IMG]

now i know how Dot feels.
    [​IMG]

a stunning sunset near Krabi
    [​IMG]

Dot relaxes
    [​IMG]

And watches movies with me later in the hotel. The Beach. What else.
    [​IMG]

South of the Thai border fuelling up
    [​IMG]

it's written in the sand
    [​IMG]

Back to the Beach
    [​IMG]

And a boring boat cruise
    [​IMG]

Tourists. AGGGHHHHH.
    [​IMG]

Smokey boat
    [​IMG]

Helpful people...
    [​IMG]

not so helpful people.
    [​IMG]

A tea stop at the plantations in Malaysia...
    [​IMG]

A very fortunate 'timer' shot catching me Dot on the race to the top
    [​IMG]
    Tea makes me very happy
    [​IMG]

As does curry
    [​IMG]

Kevin Rudd likes tea too.
    [​IMG]

But i don't know what she likes.
    [​IMG]
  7. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    subscribed
  8. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    love the piccys :thumb

keep it rubber side down Nathan .... loving this mate :nod
  9. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    phuqing excellent chap. In honour of you, as I watched the video in the rain, I pushed mu comfy chair nearer the radiator and had a mug of hot chocolate. And I would still rather have been out in the rain with you.
  10. Lash

Lash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job! I got to spend a few days in Phuket many years ago . . . gorgeous!

Keep up the good work! :clap :clap
  11. exiledinaus

exiledinaus Get off my land!!!

Oddometer:
    awesome... looks like you are slowing down a bit, looking around, starting to enjoy the journey, rather than just the challenge.

Good luck - you're an inspiration...:clap
  12. b00t

b00t errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer:
    I want to make babies with Dot...
    :lurk:lurk
  13. abm77

abm77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are crazy:rofl
    Good luck:clap
  14. thor.i.am

thor.i.am ridin' a KLR

Oddometer:
    I might have skipped over this if you covered it, but what model Canon are you now using? It looks like a Rebel but not sure which one.

I am a Canon fan :clap and like to seem them out there!

Good Luck.:freaky
  15. Vic-klr

Vic-klr TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer:
    I am in:lurk, that is fun man in mexico is call dia de san juan, nice report and pic's, and you realy rock :bow
  16. Neonasty

Neonasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome work mate.

I love the time I spent in Thailand. I think the waterfight you were at was Songkran? Thai New years. I was there for it last year. Turns out that about 350 People die from accidents over that weekend every year. Glad you made it through OK.

I was hoping to buy a scooter over in Thailand, and travel around Vietnam, North thailand and Laos sometime. ahh dreams.

Best of luck.
  17. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    You are "Touched" But I like that :D
  18. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]27
    27 shots taken, 17 developed. I didn't realise shooting with a disposable was so difficult. Just a few of the ones that got salvaged. I really like the feel of them though, far more natural than digital.

Dot's been boxed tomorrow. At last we're on our way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    Thor.I.am,

Sorry, I don't know how to quote but my new camera's a 1000D entry level SLR. The old one was a 400D.

I've only just got the new after it was in for water damage repair from the sea incident. Still not working properly, just won't turn off. But it;ll be alright.

me and Dot just been out on the town with the helmet camera, this time with it taped on a tripod strapped horizontally to the front. So it's a head view from about 1.5 metres away. It picks up loads of background and works really well at night. I just need to chop about seven hours out of the footage and I'll put it up.

A lot of it's just me talking rubbish and zig-zagging in and out of traffic but I love to talk to the thing when I'm riding. I don't know, it's like when you're sat on the toilet; you can really think straight.

Just a bit hazardous with this great tripod stuck to the front of Dot. I was always worried I was going to whack it in to a post or close line a passing moped-ist.

I just can't wait for tomorrow. Getting Dot all crated up and ready for the flight on Tuesday. It's the real start of this journey. Up til now it feels like it's all been about getting on top of it. Sorting out the paperwork and visas and filming equipment. Now it's a case of just doing it, and I can't wait, I really can't.

The plan is to spend a fortnight marching round Everest while Dot puts her feet up then turning her south and making the dash for India. Though I hear there's no petrol in Nepal at the minute so we might be pushing, But that doesn't matter.

I just really hope the Iranian visa comes through. I'd be mortified if I can't go. I'll keep trying and tryinjg, camp at the border if I have to, cause there's no way this journey's ending on a plane over the damn place. No chance. I just keep every finger crossed and hope the light goes green.

Not feeling too flash at the minute though. I've got a totally numb and tingly arm, like a lead weight, had it for a week now. Not sure if it's Dot's vibratin that's doing it but hopefully it'll pass before the roads turn really nasty.

I've tried to find the source of the vibration but no look so far. It's fine while we're moving, just when we're stopped the handlebars vibrate and stop only when you pull the front brake, any ideas?

Tonight I've also been out trying to get my pannier racks sawn in two so they fit in the box but everyone in the workshops were rude and unhelpful. So I bought my own saw from the hardware shop and snapped the damn thing in the first stroke. The panniers will have to stay as they are.

But I'm nervous about the cost of shipping. I hear it can go through the roof if you're not watching the carpenter do his thang. The bigger it is the more money they can charge at the weigh in. I've already planned to take the handlebars off and remove the front wheel.

Do you thinK I'll be alright checking in the alloy box as luggage? just going to wedge it all in that, with the plan being to ride lean at the other side. Only essentials, no room for fluff.

So that's it, we're now off to bed and get ready for tomorrow's big day. I've excited. Now the journey really begins.

Nathan and Dot.
  20. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Now that someone explained the quote function....

You need to tell us who your beautiful riding companion was?? Dude, prior to her I thought you were ballsy, but to talk her into riding with you? You are suave and ballsy!!

Congrats!:clap