Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 1Down-5Up

1Down-5Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he will have to change tires before he has to refuel!!!:rofl

Safari tank= 15L +8L +7L Roto= 30L @ 27km/L = 810 km (506 miles) Best case scenario

As for the tire, I would take the wheel off , let the air out and break the bead. Check the tube for kinks and rotate the tire

and see if a new position helps.
  2. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you make sure the bead is seated evenly ?
  3. zimzooma

zimzooma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a steel braided front brake line on my X/R to replace the damaged stock line. The oversized X rotor and the feel of the steel line add up to create a superb braking package. Should have done it sooner.
  4. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What rear is that?
  5. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Well not really. Currently I'm getting to about 105m before the fuel light comes on then usually about 60m. left to empty on the safari tank. I have yet to replace the fuel programmer so that will probably cut the range down a little, and I have yet to do any full up equipment test for range yet; which I hope to do as soon as the weather allows. In the end I am looking for a safe 260m range with reserve to do the Daltom Hwy. to Prudhoe bay. I will probably leave one system or the other behind. Rotopax is 1.75g with the convenience of always being mounted out of the way, BUT it is a little heavier and the empty weight is always with you. The fuel bladder will give me 2g, and the convenience of lighter weight when not used and can be stored out of the way, BUT when loaded it is mounted up higher on the rear rack which is less stable. So more fun yet in load/ride testing to come.:wink:
  6. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
  7. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Owner of that bike had just ridden it 2500 kilometers from Singapore to Chiang Mai Thailand. Double woot!
  9. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, my uncle is looking to ride from texas to brazil on a honda ruckus next year.
  10. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Pirelli MT43 Trials
  11. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I feel fortunate to live so close to Pamo Valley......Lusardi Truck Trail, Black Mtn Truck Trail, and Santa Isabel Truck Trail are all ~15 minutes from my driveway along with a few side trails.......fun area to ride anytime......so I headed over there with my friend Ron around noonish to break-in the 350XCF-W and get a general feel for the bike/suspension modifications.....and just generally enjoy the day......

Wow, that bike is rolling DOPE and I'm addicted already......very light, peppy and smooth fuel injection.......pretty apparent that it'll have plenty enough juice on the trails "for me".......(I haven't railed on the throttle yet.....was told to behave on the first ride)....just took it for a nice/short ~40 mile loop today and had a blast........time to dump the oil/filter and hit it a bit harder on the next ride.....

I didn't notice any of the "popping" on decel that I've read about......maybe that's unique to the EXC version.....

Definitely a much greater overlap between the 300XCW and the 350XCF-W as opposed to the 300XCW the WR250R.......the 300 and 350 both are very light and very fun whereas the WR was fun but also a bit porky......that said, the porkyness/beefy subframe/350 watt alternator made it a great ADV "traveler".........the 300 will likely be relegated to technical missions on mtn goat trails and/or heavy sand (dune) rides........slap in the right gearing and that bike kicks ass in either scenario........the 350 is replacing the WR as my new "anywhere" bike......the 350 is clearly more of a trail performer/true dirt bike than the WR and I wouldn't want to use it to go to Alaska or some other multi-week trip as I would on the WR ......but I'm confident it'll be a nice platform for short multiday exploration once I add on bigger tank or Rotopax mount.....probably not as comfortable as the WR for the inevitable/boring slab sections but it'll truly go "anywhere" once you're off the boring sections.....

A few pics

Up top on Black Mtn TT:

[​IMG]

(you can see the trail winding up down below.....just left of the bike in the pic below)

[​IMG]

Cruising through the trees on Santa Isabel TT before the traverse over to Black Canyon

[​IMG]

Santa Isabel TT in the background...... fun traverse in either direction

[​IMG]

Also parted ways with the WR today......sold it as a parts bike to nearby couple with two WR250X bikes.....so all my WR250R farkles and stock stuff is gone......it was fun while it lasted......

See ya on the trail(s)!
  12. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crawdaddy - You are most likely going to LOVE your new KTM. My son bought one last February to race the Mexican 1000 last April. He'd never ridden the desert before, but he had a lot of road racing experience. The bike finished 4th overall motorcycle and won it's class. It made a top speed of 96mph on the playa and it was ridden flat out for much of the timed sections (about 950 miles). He's entered it again this year, but he might trade up to a 500 to try and compete for the overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only problem was the Giant Loop kit disrupted the air flow so the exhaust melted off the rear signal.
  13. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the triple clamp torque specs? Thx in advance. Upper and lower values if different plz
  14. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20Nm (14ft lb) lower
    23Nm (17ft lb) upper
    3mm fork top face above upper triple
  15. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Adios Crawdaddy. Happy trails. Thanks for all the great pics. I'll remember you most for this one; :D

[​IMG]
  16. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    6'-3" or so? Makes the KTM look pretty short !

[​IMG]
  17. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay guys that's enough KTM's for now :lol3
  18. LooseWheel

LooseWheel hearded cat

Oddometer:
    I am getting a Dunlop 606 front tire (90/90x21) and rear tire (120/90x18) to replace my aging stock WRR tires. Many inmates here like the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. So I thought I might try them.

However, I have not found that tube in the size of either of the two tires. Both RockyMountainATVMC and Motorcycle-Superstore via chat said that the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes they sell would not fit.

I must be missing something pretty basic.

For what size of tubes should I be looking?
    :huh
  19. dirthauler

dirthauler rolling rototiller

Oddometer:
    Pittstone, ya it's a Flintstones refference
    Link please, and a rough total cost est.
  20. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Between the heavy D606 tires and Ultra Heavy Duty tubes, that might be a bit much on the 250! I helped my buddy put in Ultra Heavy Duty tube in his DR and wow that was one massive tube and somewhat of a PITA to mount in the tire too! I would have hated to try and do a trail side repair with that tube in there.

I usually just run "Heavy Duty" tubes and those do just fine.

With that said as for size, the most important thing is to find an 18" tube for the rear and a 21" tube for the front. Generally, the tube doesn't have to be the exact same size as the tire. Usually a certain tube fits a range of tires in that given diameter.

What size tubes are you finding?