Windscreen FAQ

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimO, Apr 11, 2002.

1. cloken

cloken n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes :D

I'm planning on picking up a 05 R12GS from Larry (adv - offnonroad) in So. Cal next Sat (28th) and bringing back up to Reno, depending on what amount of time I would need to leave the bike with them, I might be able to drop it off there on my way through (probably Sun). I live and work in Reno, but we have an office in the Sacramento area so not a big deal to me.
    *One thing though the bike I am going to be getting does not currently have a windscreen so I do not know if this will be a problem. Was looking into getting the CB windscreen, but willing play around if this can get worked out.
    Oh, I could also drop the bike off later say July if necessary.
    If you (or someone) can talk to Mark, get the ball rolling let me know.

Haven't made it all the way though this monster thread but any opinions on CB vs this windscreen (I'm 6'-2'') Thanks!

Carl
  2. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    Carl,

I copied your post to Mark - hopefully he'll do something with it.

If you (or anyone else) want to contact him, his e-mail is mark@calsci.com - my thinking is that with any luck someone will contact him with a bike to play with, and if anyone else wants to send a "please make a screen for the GS" request, it wouldn't do any harm.

I can't believe that after all this time there isn't SOMEBODY out there building The Solution. I'm getting to the point that I almost don't care what it costs as long as it works - WONDERFUL bike, crap air control.

Alex

3. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    My gs has some huge aftermarket windscreen on it, cant find a manufacturer on it. It is effective ,but beyond ugly so I purchased a givi windscreen. My question is I dont have the orginal mounting bolts for stock screen Ive looked all over net for info on sizes couldnt find anything. I got a clymer manual on order, but dont know if that will have info. Thanks for any help
  4. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might try MAX Bmw's web site. Here is a link to the fiche for an 1100GS. You will probably be able to find the parts you need there.
  5. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks flyrodder thats just what I was looking for.
  6. cloken

cloken n00b

Oddometer:
    Alex, I've emailed Mark too, we'll just have to wait and see what we can work out schedule wise. Assuming he's interested.
  7. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    One of the myriad reasons to go with an Aeroflow is that it is fabricated from aircraft acryllic. What this means is that unlike polycarbonate, OEM, and most other screens which all come with a scratch-resistant and anti-yellowing (UV resistant) coating, the Aeroflow and Cee Baileys units are fabricated from acryllic plastic which is integrally UV stabilized (muy expensive), so no coating is required or used.

What this means is that scratches can be buffed out of screens made from this type of material, whereas screens that are made from the cheaper and more generic materials (i.e., OEM), may be buffed out but over time, the protective coating will also get buffed away, leaving the screens prone to accelerated scratching, cracking, crazing, and yellowing. Likewise, the more expensive acryllic is typically thicker, which makes it stronger and more stable in the wind.

As for cleaning any of them:
    1. #1 is to NEVER use paper towels (the wood fibers cause very tiny but noticeable scratches), use only soft cotton cleaning cloths.
    2. always use ample liquid to preclean and lubricate the cleaning cloth
    3. avoid those scrubby sponge and squeegee things (scratch machine) at the gas station
    4. Use the Plexus or Novus cleaning systems to clean and treat the scratches. Just remember that with the coated screens, an aggressive treatment will come at a cost to the coating too.
    5. apply a hard paste wax (carnuba) to both side of the screen. This becomes a sacrificial wear surface and protectant

8. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    Yep, I 2nd JVB's comments. I've got a 12GS identical to his (same color too ) with the Cee Bailey's. Having come from the 1150GS + Aeroflow world, I can say that the Cee Bailey's just doesn't measure up. In the Aeroflow world, the rider's head and body are "in the bubble" and it's a pleasant, dry, and quiet world.

I've also noticed that the Aeroflow windscreen itself is much more stable and doesn't flex and vibrate all over the place like all the others I've seen and tried. Likewise, that stability extends to the bike itself -- I found that it became like a rock at freeway speeds in the very windy Bay Area. It was more stable and less susceptible to cross-winds than my car!

In the summer, if you get too hot, take off the winglets.

9. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200GS.htm Cost is pushing $500, but I can say from my 1150GS experience, it's the best $500 to spend on the bike. Everyone talks about the day-to-day improvements, but IMHO the best thing about the Aeroflow is its longterm benefit. No joke, what it accomplishes is the ability to extend the riding season :clap:clap. Buying time is a rare and costly opportunity, so take advantage when you can.

10. red-bull

red-bull passion is red

Oddometer:
    This combination is just like the stock-shield, but without the TT-Part is no noise anymore(lowest position) and good for summer.
    the stock-shield + the TT-modification is better then the genuine TT-part.

Markus

Attached Files:

11. AV 1611

AV 1611 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are the AeroGuards worth the extra $$$?

Are they primarily for Leg protection, or do they combine with the Screen for a double-vortex-inverted-enveloped-backpressured flip?
  12. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    with a twist .... degree of difficulty, 9.9 :D
  13. cloken

cloken n00b

Oddometer:
    Alex, I heard back from Mark @ calsci, he's up for it and has a prototype.
    I just need to figure when I can get the bike to him for 2 weeks time (or maybe less).
  14. Hardrocker

Hardrocker Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer:
    How is the VStream windshield doing now?

How close to your line of sight is the top of the shield?

I have one on order and am trying to figure out if my money has been well spent.
  15. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Hi Markus,
    What's your height and inseam (if you don't mind my asking)? And are you using the stock GS or GSA seat? Thanks.
  16. red-bull

red-bull passion is red

Oddometer:
    @kindofblue

1,84m; I use the stock GS seat in low position

Markus
  17. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Hi Markus,
    Thanks. That converts to 6' .5". You're 3.5" shorter than me and I use a GSA seat in the high position (in front, low in back).
  18. slo100

slo100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2007 GS. I am 6'1" with 33" inseam.

Just received a Givi today and I threw it on and went for a spin. It works wonders for me. All is quiet on the GS front now. No more thundering whoosh rattling my head.

Fit and finish is excellent. As with many suppliers of add-ons for the GS, the instructions were pretty awful but the procedure for this is quite intuitive.

This is a significant improvement over the stock unit and the lines still flow with the bike and it looks like it could be a stock piece, which is what I wanted.

Anyhoo, 1 vote for Givi.

Bret
  19. McBike

McBike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works great, really like the improved wind protection. Line of site is fine and can be adjusted if needed. I have done some serious off roadng with it and have had no issues.
  20. AV 1611

AV 1611 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got an email from Ztechnic who put me on the emailing list for when the Vstream is updated for the 2008 GS, and I can hardly wait. Wind noise and buffeting can be downright offensive.