The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. gaspasser

gaspasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey was thinkin of shorting the link, then came across yours look like what i wanted,so i made it up. 1" shorter. front forks off a 86 cr 500,mod triple tree so speedo and ign would fit.
  2. uniter

uniter anti-n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't do that. It's a completely fresh rebuild; all it's had is those couple minutes of shitty idling and a couple hits of gas. I won't be putting it over half throttle for a while so main jets don't really mean anything to me right now.

I'll figure it out. I have a feeling I'll have to shim the needles even when they're in the 5th slot.

This talk of 140+ mains scares me I only ordered up to 135 and I figured that'd be plenty high based on what I've been reading of people using the 128/125 combo.

The only thing I'm really stumped on is how to do is how do you determine which carb needs to be adjusted how much. Low throttle is easy; it's all the primary carb, but how do you knwo whether to richen the secondary or lean it out, same deal with the primary. :huh

I've jetted single carbs no problem but this has me stumped. It'd be fine if both carbs took the same settings but they don't.
  3. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news and bad news.......

I got all the problems sorted out with the XL600, man all that just because I adjusted my controls?? So she runs strong again!
    Bad news is I may have to bow out and sell her the way things are going:cry Anyone looking for an 83 XL 600R in nearly perfect shape?
    Ken
  4. gaspasser

gaspasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hay uniter did you open up your airbox? if not you should not have a problem with the jets you ordered. start with the 128pri 125sec 65slow jet,2 1/4 out on mixture. i think i'm in 140s because i opened up airbox 3x4 and have hotter coil. make sure no air leaks from manifold or airbox around carbs. what other mods did you do?
  5. uniter

uniter anti-n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got a UNI filter, Xr's only pipe, fresh (less than 5 minutes run-time) 11:1 piston + rings, ricky stator.

My end goal here is to have this thing uncorked. I'm going to take out the backfire screen and put holes in the airbox cover.

I'm also on the St. Lawrence river so I'm pretty much near sea level.

I plan to drive this thing on the road so I don't want it on the rich side, in the interest of fuel consumption. I figured the highest I would ever have to go is 135, but I might have to go higher.
  6. gorilla2891

gorilla2891 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off this forum is totally addictive. And the bike and you peolple are mostly to blame!:D Spent many hrs going from page 1 to 18 the other night. Tried many searches to find proper jetting. My 83xl has 3,500 miles and is was completely stock down to the tires. Have the carbs off and the primary has a 125 and sec had a 112 so I put a 120 in it. I plan on a uni filter right away, and a muffler down the road. Suggestions? Also I read in one of the threads about fenders. I had a box of parts with my 89cr500 that i sold and the front fender was perfect color and fit after cutting off the back to clear the header. Not to mention looks way better. Any help would be great.
  7. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    So while getting gas tonight, I turned off the key but the bike still ran. Turns off by kill switch but the ignition only controls the lights now.:eek1
    What does the vast knowledge base here think could be the problem??
    Bad contacts on switch?
    Bad switch?
    Thanks as always for the help.Would hate to think I would be out on the trails,turn off the bike and not be able to turn her back on.:deal
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a service manual?? Time to check the switch vs the wiring diagram. I did the same today on the KTM. Engine would start and had dash lights but no head or tail lights. Pulled back cover off of switch to find a burned wire that came loose with just a little tap. New switch is on it's way. Good Luck
  9. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    I do have the manual. Guess I have something for tomorrow. Thanks.
  10. Janosh

Janosh Old Man

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks almost new compared to mine. I don't have instruments, headlight fareing, or directionals. Other than that they look the same except for the gas tank and tires. What kind of tires are those and what do like and not like about them? How big is your tank?
    oh yea, I only have one mirror.
  11. God of Speed

God of Speed brrraaaaAAAAAAAP

Oddometer:
    ive got stock internals, a uni filter, and the same jets as you, but i have a stock muffler thats slightly modded. its pretty much perfect mixture with those mods, i gotta say:evil

i plan on cutting up an r1 pipe soon and smacking that on but that will be a bit of trial and error.
  12. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did it used to work correctly, and now it doesn't?
  13. gorilla2891

Oddometer:
    Thanks waterscm, do you know what the stock jetting is so I know where things started from. I remember seeing it on here, somewhere?
  14. God of Speed

Oddometer:
    its 118 and 115 stock in aus.

america i think its 120 and 120

118 and 118 if you are in california.
  15. rolosmoneypit

rolosmoneypit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    every time i gun it in 1st gear it pulls the wheel. Plus it seems to wind on the high end at 60-70 mph my gears are stock 15 front 43 rear has anyone found a good combo they would like to pass on?.... thanks 84 XL600r
  16. God of Speed

Oddometer:
    are you saying you can wheelie at 70mph? ive heard of this on the xl but theres no bloody way i can see mine doing that.

my gearing is 15-41. works well with speed limits and the rev range with gear changes usually when the next speed limit is reached - if that makes sense.
  17. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    15/43 is pretty tall. It shouldn't be buzzy at 60-70mph unless it just sounds buzzier than you're used to.
  18. gorilla2891

Oddometer:
    :D I did not know wheelies were a problem. I guess I've needed help since, forever.
  19. BrandonR

BrandonR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The bike won't rev out till over 100 in 5th gear with the stock gearing. If it won't go over 70 something is wrong. Mine revs out at 85 with 13/45 on it
  20. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    By revving out you must mean the rev limiter comes into play. This is built into the CDI unit and protects your valvetrain from the consequences of valve float (bent valves :uhoh ) Valve float is what happens when the valve springs can't keep up. The engine is rotating so fast that the valve springs don't close the valves fast enough.

Man, I'd like to build a 600 RFVC to have the kind of power to take me up to 100 effortlessly and with minimal vibration. I get quite a bit of vibes at 65-70, probably because of out-of-spec rockers and cam, that's the only thing I have wrong with my engine right now.