KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my '02 earlier this year for $900. It needed a new chain and sprockets, fork seals, battery, and some odds and ends. Some elbow grease and about $300 later and it was running beautifully. For a clean one that is running, I personally wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it, given that it's a 12 year old budget bike.
  2. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious, the_doc: What's the asking price for the KLR250 you have under consideration?
  3. MILLENNIUM FALCON

MILLENNIUM FALCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a clean 95 klr250 with 6000k for $450 it had been sitting for 9 years but didnt need much to get it back on the road.
  4. DangerousJohnson

DangerousJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my '02 with 8500 miles in spring of 2012 for $1500.

It ran fine through the summer, though I did have to put some work into it over the winter.

It had some cosmetic issues (broken brake lever, scratched plastics) and some deferred maintenance (dirty carburetor, worn-out throttle cables, leaky petcock). New parts, paint, etc. set me back no more than $150.
  5. nnamssorxela

nnamssorxela ¯\(°_o)/¯

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys getting these so cheap?! I just put my up in the marketplace. :cry
  6. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    I paid $1400 for my '98 with 6K miles. It needed tires and fork seals to get through inspection, so call it $1,575. I'm in Baltimore. They pop up on Craigslist cheaper around here, too. I think it depends on where you are and the availability.
    People want E-start too nowadays, so they pass on these bikes.

Edit: Just checked your add. That's a good deal for 2K, with all the mods, although folks who didn't know better might think 9K miles was high for that money. I would hold out for that if it were me. I'd post it up on KLR650.net in the KLR250 sub-forum, too. You'll have to go where people are already converts.

Thing with bikes is- you almost never get your money back out of them. Good luck!
  7. DangerousJohnson

Oddometer:
    What do you guys recommend for heated grips on the the little 250?

The Oxford grips get great reviews – both here at ADVrider and on Amazon.

I'm looking at this model, specifically: Oxford OF696Z Heaterz Sports Heated Handlebar Grips, Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWG82U...TF8&colid=2F220OI8EHTHU&coliid=I1KIM683XTDCEW

However, $80 is a little spendy for me (it's a KLR, after all)... Anyone have experience or recommendations with grip heater kits that fit under regular grips? Or DIY designs?
  8. nnamssorxela

nnamssorxela ¯\(°_o)/¯

Oddometer:
    Interesting range of prices. I purchased an abused '96 that was literally in boxes for ~$500, and that was the cheapest I have ever seen any motorcycle, running, wrecked, or not, especially a KLR. It needed a lot of work to be rideable/reliable, and was still in "rough" condition when I sold it, but I was able to sell it for $1700. Maybe they are just more expensive in my neck of the woods. My brother has a yamaha xt250 that he paid ~2700 for, and the KLR is faster on and off road, better equipped, taller and more "dirt bikey," liquid cooled, easier to work on etc., same with the crf230. Not sure why anyone would choose anything else but the KLR (maybe supersherpa) in my opinion.

DangerousJohnson, I have the oxford grips on my bike. I have yet to really use them, but I'm planning on going on a ride tomorrow and it should be pretty cold, so I can update then.

The PO installed them and had also converted ALL of the lights (except headlight) to LED in order to run them. I'm not positive what led him to believe that the grips would not work with the OEM set up, but perhaps the lights etc were noticeably dimmer when the heaters were in use.

They are a little thicker and harder than normal MX style grips, but I have not found this to be an issue. I do not have thinner palm gloves designed for heated grips, so take that into account as well. I'm not sure if I should wear my normal gloves or my insulated gloves (both leather) when using them, but maybe I'll do some trials tomorrow.

-Alex
  9. DangerousJohnson

Oddometer:
    My neck of the woods is the same. I see a lot of true dirt bikes on Craigslist, but almost no street legal dual sports. Most motorcycles I see for sale – on CL, in front yards, etc. – are Harleys or big 1980s-era Japanese cruisers. Bikes like the KLR250 seem to command a premium compared to what other people on here have paid elsewhere.

Those sound great. Please do let me know how they hold up on a cold ride. Very curious.
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd buy yours if I was in the market. I might be actually one day. My 250 is actually my girlfriend's, I kind of want one of my own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Geezer22

Geezer22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with a windscreen on your 250? As far as I know the only aftermarket one available is the TCI product. Anyone try this yet?
    My experience with a windscreen is that it is a less than perfect trade off; gaining the benefit of not having the wind on your body, but instead having noise and buffeting at the helmet.
    I'm really hoping someone has some specific experience with the TCI (or any windscreen for that matter) on the KLR250, and can give some insight.
    Thanks.
  12. rfoll

rfoll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tci windscreen is a nice piece, but it needs to be higher to keep the helmet buffeting down at speeds over 50 mph. I raised mine 2 1/2" and it improved a lot. On the subject of prices, The dual sport bikes around here sell for 25 percent over book value. I paid $1200 for my '88 with 4000 miles, and it needed work. That was the best price I found for a usable bike. An extra $500 for a clean one is worth the price. Parts are expensive and hard to find.
  13. Geezer22

Geezer22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks rfoll. I suspected as much about the windscreen. Its good to have insight from someone with first hand experience. Is your bike a KLR250, and if so, do you consider it worth having the screen? It must certainly have an effect on such a small under-powered bike, as well as gas mileage. Or did you wind up taking it off?
  14. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    I had a screen I made from a piece of plexi with a heat gun fitted on my 250 for a week or so. It did deflect wind, but also created turbulence around my helmet, like people have said. As it was only 10 or 15 degrees off vertical it couldn't have done much for aerodynamics, either. I'd say put the money into a quality riding jacket!
  15. rfoll

rfoll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand references to the KLR 250 being underpowered, (80 mph is fast enough for me), but no, it had no effect. It probably improved some because the windscreen is cleaner than the front of the bike and your chest. In cold weather it keeps the nasty draft from shooting up through the bottom of your helmet and down the front of your jacket. At speeds under 45 mph, I leave my visor tipped up. I had to build some stands to raise it up. It took some effort, but was worth it. If you don't have fabrication skills and the tools to work on that kind of stuff, you would not likely be happy with the stock location.
  16. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    I don't think a proper windshield would affect top speed greatly; might even improve the aerodynamics.

I've found, however, that saddle bags, rack luggage, and top case take a toll, true ground speed, at the upper end.

I've previously posted my discovery of the last production front fork tool bag relocation brackets; also in this mix were several KLR250 detachable windshields, and even LEG shields.

Merchandise was available at closeout/fire sale cost, but . . . unable to generate serious interest in the tool bag relocation brackets and loading decks, didn't want to harbor the windshields, etc., also, as art objects around the campus . . .
  17. DangerousJohnson

Oddometer:
    So I take you don't still have or have access to any of those items....?
  18. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    If I come across the contact info of the source (original manufacturer, in NC), I'll PM it to you if you're interested, DJ!

As mentioned, I received no interest when I posted the availability before. No profit motive, I merely intended passing on the opportunity to others, but . . . no dice!
  19. DangerousJohnson

Oddometer:
    Please do, I'm interested!

I saw that post when I read through this thread after discovering ADVrider. Alas, I was about a year too late.
  20. the_doc

the_doc Street Convert

Oddometer:
    As a 19 day follow up to that question... It was listed for $1400 - but sold before I talked myself into it =/