Thinking of moving to Nashville

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by gbw, Feb 17, 2014.

1. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    It snowed another 5 inches today in Chicago and I've had it. So we're looking at houses in Nashville. Seems like it will be a great place to live, raise a family and ride dirt and street bikes.
  2. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look in Williamson County....#1 ranked schools in the state. The further you get out of Franklin/Cool Springs/Brentwood area, the better your chances of finding a larger lot/acreage and the less traffic.

Spring Hill and Thompson's Station areas are really growing.

My wife and I got a house in Franklin (not in downtown, unfortunately) because we wanted to be in an area where we could walk to stores and resturants, find great live music all the time, have easy access to airport and Nashville, and still be able to get to some great country riding quickly and easily.

Come on down, seems like almost everyone is from someplace other than here, but I've yet to meet anyone that doesn't love it here.
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

+1

Lots of good riding around here too!
  4. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    So, I already know that for what I want, Brentwood is out of my price range. I found a gorgeous property with a wonderful house in Murfreesboro. Looks like Thompson Station and Murfreesboro are about the same distance from the city/airport. Would you recommend one over the other?
  5. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thompson's Station is in Williamson Co., so schools may be better. Also, be ause of the growth in that area, fueled by the GM plant in Spring Hill, your housing value should continue to climb. Median house value in Willimason Co almost doubled last year. An advantage of Muffeesboro is that Middle Tenn. State U is there, if ou are interested in having easy access to a college.

As far as riding....almost a wash IMO. The area north and east of Muffeesboro has some great road riding, especially around the area of the Cumberland Plateau. The area west of T. Station has some great road riding as well, but also has possiblibly more DS potential because of proximity to Hickman County and up north to the Land Between the Lakes. On the other hand, Murfeesboro is a half hour or 45 minutes closer to Deal's Gap and the eastern Tennessee mountains.

Can't go wrong with either.......:D
  6. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These guys have it right.

I will add that the Blackman school district in M'boro is outstanding, and there isn't really a "bad" part of the Boro.
  7. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Great music and good food.
  8. obsidian16825

obsidian16825 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's great south of Franklin in Maury County. I find fun roads to ride, paved and chert. There are roads with multiple creek crossings mere minutes from home. I don't live in a neighborhood, so there's no HOA telling me what I can't do with my property. It's really quiet at night, and, on clear nights, I can see a whole lot more stars than in town.
    The Spring Hill/Thompson Station area is great. I'm sure there are good schools, but if you decide to homeschool, there is a huge, very active homeschooling community with several tutorials, co-ops, clubs, associations, music, art, sports, dance, robotics, and cake decorating classes. I wouldn't trade living here for anything. We have a field trip later today to the mounted police barns at Ellington Ag Center. We'll get to see how the police horses are cared for and, hopefully, get a demonstration of some of their training.

You might be able to find decent land for a good price in Maury County. Property taxes aren't as high as Williamson and Davidson Counties. Vehicle tag renewal cost isn't bad. We even have an airport, Maury Regional, thirty minutes away in Mount Pleasant. There's a waiting list for T-hangars, but there's still room in the community hangars.
    If, for some reason, you have to drive up to the big airport in Nashville, the interstate is handy.
  9. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies! We've been talking to realtors and builders and burning up the Internet 'Homes For Sale' web sites. Have sort of narrowed it down to the areas just East of N'ville (Mt. Juliet) or South (M'boro).

Mt. Juliet is much closer to the city/airport. M'boro has more land for the money. Either would be fine. I'm really getting the impression that I can't go wrong with this decision.

So we'll spend spring break in N'ville with the kids doing tourist stuff and looking at houses. Planning to make a purchase decision at that time then move during the school summer break. Can't wait!!!
  10. Sirwrexalot

Sirwrexalot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey GBW,

We are in the same boat as you .. living in West TN and looking to move to Nashville area. We are looking more in the Dickson / Kingston Springs area.

If you are not locked in with a Realtor. We are using a realtor who just happens to be a ADV'er too. He goes by the name Ihatefalling on here. Send him a PM or PM me I will send you his contact info. Not sure he wants his name and number spread all over the place.

Super nice guy and he knows his real estate and also knows all the cool DS riding and dirt riding in the area.
  11. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Well crap. Wish I'd know that. I've been reading his posts in the 'Mid TN DS Ride Schedule' thread. But my wife connected with an agent months ago.

In fact just yesterday we locked into a 3/4 acre lot in Murfreesboro and starting the process of having a house built. Fingers crossed we'll be all relocated by the time school starts in August.

Can't wait to get down there. From what I'm reading here you guys are riding street and dirt while I still have 2 feet of snow in my yard and its still way too cold for me to ride. My poor Bandit can't wait to get out of moth balls. And as soon as I move I'll start shopping for a good DS ride.

Thanks for letting me know. Wish I'd know about IHF sooner.
  12. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

Bandit?! Wait a minute - that changes everything! We don't need no stinkin' Bandit riders 'round here! You'll probably buy a KLR next! There goes the neighborhood!

Just kidding, of course. Just keep a cover over it...

:D
  13. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    Come on down.

If you want to get in Williamson county at a more reasonable cost check into Southeast, College Grove, and Southwest, Fairview, parts of the county.

Spring Hill is among the more affordable sections as well but because of the GM plant it can be volatile when there's something that affects the plant. The plant closed a few years ago and the area was effected more so than the rest of the county.

Rutherford county is a very good area as well but it is growing very fast. Any of the counties that are contiguous with Davidson county (Nashville) are not bad options. Counties North of Davison are less dense in population and usually offer more affordable pricing but don't have the school ratings of Williamson & Rutherford counties.

(I'm a real estate appraiser in the area and live in Nolensville)

Just make sure you shut the door behind you when you head South. We don't won't all that cold & snow to follow you here. :lol3