Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    :nod I'm getting this so I can surf the web/stream music and generally screw around when I have down time at work. My new position means a lot of time just being there. I can't just leave to find wifi, so it probably won't be an option 95% of the time. Figure 20-25 hours a week of this and how many mb I'd go through.:huh

I don't even really care how it works at home, heck, I don't even care how it works as a phone anywhere. It will be about 90% surfing tool, 9% texting tool, and 1% phone. I have to carry the work phone anyway and can use that whenever, but it doesn't do anything else. My new work phone(which is sprint) works great at my house. I have to walk up the hill to my barn for my verizon to work here. Just waiting for a sale now. :1drink
  2. GeoDiablo

GeoDiablo compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer:
    Got mine online for six dollars and change, shipped. Not too tough to do the swap.
  3. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Just went to the Android system. Basically it was a cost issue. I have been with Verizon for many years. I went in to the Verizon store to get three iPhones and a data plan for the family. $800 up front and $200 per month for 700 minutes talk, unlimited msg., and 2GB data (per phone).

Went to the T-mobile store and got 2 HTC Sensations and one HTC Wildfire for $600 up front and $140 per month, 1000 minutes talk, unlimited msg. and unlimited data (2GB per phone per month at 4G then it drops to 3G speed).

Both 2 year plans. Couldn't be happier with the phones. Just like and iPad but smaller and makes phone calls.

The HTC Sensation with its dual core processor and a 4G signal is as fast as my DSL line at home.
  4. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Right now I am waiting for a keyboard and 4G and since that is taking so long I'll probably add quad core to that list which means it wont be till January till I get a new droid :cry
  5. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    100MB of data is nothing, in a world of GB. And I thought the 5GB caps were small :eek1
  6. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Ok, I guess I'm not the typical user. With 13 days left in my first month, I still have 83 MB left. I'm just not interested/don't have time to watch videos and do data intensive stuff on my phone. I may surf advrider for 5-10 minutes at lunch, get my email during the day, and that's about it.
  7. plutonic

plutonic Outsider

Oddometer:
    Anyone w/Mac computers at home using an Android phone? What's your experience? Syncing or any other issues? Incompatibility w/Mac ( if any )?

I would love to get an iPhone but I want to stick with T-Mobile and they are not offering iPhone as we all know. My Blackberry is expired so I need another phone.
  8. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Yep. With the exception of my wife's old Toshiba laptop, we're all Mac here. I run a Mac Mini as a server, I have an old Mac G4 hooked up in the garage, and my main machine is a MacBook. I also have an original Motorola Droid.

No problems really. I used Salling MediaSync to put my music on my phone initially, though now I just manually copy songs into the music folder on the Droid. PDANet works great to tether to my laptop to get internet up at our cabin if I need it.

Oddly enough, I'm due for a new phone. My contract expired last week, and I've been having some problems with my phone over the last couple months. I'm probably going to end up with an iPhone 4s on Verizon. My wife has had an iPhone for years, and is also due (she's on AT&T). It would be nice for us to have all the same apps, same chargers, etc.
  9. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like more, if you look at it as 70 floppys :clap:clap:clap
  10. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up the Galaxy S2 to replace my iPhone.. anyone know of a wireless transmitter/remote control the MP3 portion? With my iPhone I was able to keep the phone in my pocket, and have a wireless device up on the handlebar to control volume and forward/reverse songs (Monster iEZclick).. is something like this available with this phone?

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZClick-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B000HVHGI6
  11. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    For you 'Droid users.....today's Amazon free app of the day is a motorcycle trials game. It's not bad and actually pretty difficult in places.
  12. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Motorola Atrix 4G from AT&T a few days ago. I'm really liking it so far. It is a big change going from the Windows Mobile but I'm getting it so far.:clap
  13. Johnny Truant

Johnny Truant Oh brother...

Oddometer:
    I had the OG droid with the slide out keyboard and just upgraded tot eh new bionic. I was all about physical keyboard a few years back when I got the first droid, but with once I started using the swype app I rarely found myself sliding out the keyboard.

I miss it in very rare occasions, like when I have to input a password that switches from symbols to letters a lot. The new input methods have come a long way as have the touch screens.
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    What I like about the physical keyboards is the ability to touch type so I can send out a text without really paying attention.
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    What I like about the physical keyboards is the ability to touch type so I can send out a text without really paying attention.
  16. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    I got a HTC G2 last December as a free replacement/upgrade through T-Mobile. I like the features but there are a few really annoying things about it. First, when accessing the web or using GPS, the battery gets really, really hot. Second, the battery life is piss poor when doing any of the above. Last, the stupid thing shuts itself off, even when fully charged, without warning. The latest OS update was supposed to fix this, but the problem persists. Aside from all of this, I like the phone, but it could obviously be much better.

-Joe
  17. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an HTC Inspire a couple days ago after having an Iphone for a couple years. Never really liked all the proprietary crap with the iphone and wanted more freedom. I really like the android but the signal strength of the Inspire sucks. So I'm going to get something else that is hopefully better,,,, any suggestions??
  18. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will get ou a little more range.
    [​IMG]
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    do you want 3G or 4G?
  20. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one of those and.sometimes I wish I still had it!!

I'm not the type that needs the fastest. Most of the places I get to don't even have 3G availible. Just want something that will hold the connection when I'm standing on my back deck looking at the cell tower a mile away.