the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Was looking to replace the front with a good value tire, a Bridgestone ED03 or a Metzeler Unicross...

Thanks for the guidance!
    :D
  2. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW there is a very handy rim width vs. tire size reference at http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Motorcycle_Rim_Width_Tire_Size_Chart.pdf
    I generally double check the tire makers site to be sure and so far all have agreed...
    BTW, I have an '06 Tiger myself and love it (ride a DR650 as well)
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    My favorite combo for offroad tires is: (BTW, both are DOT approved)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...e-ED03-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

[​IMG]

&

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ster-II-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

in 130/90-17

[​IMG]

shop around for price. I've gotten mine from several sources, usually someone has one or the other on sale.

I got a RockyMtnATV $25 gift card for renewing my BlueRibbon Coalition, and a $10 card for renewing my AMA membership. so that's likely where I will source my next set. Had good luck w/ Bob's Cycle Supply also.
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    How about just going with High Octane pump gas? Might be enough?
    The high temps are probably due to tight tolerances of your new High comp piston breaking in? Maybe a bit more cylinder honing required? Dunno.

I've not heard of any pinging reported among our little seven bike DR650 cadre. (all stock motors) My own DR (stock) has consumed lots of really crap Baja fuel out of rusty 55 gal drums. A nasty slurry of gas, water, Diesel and rust. I always try to get them to decant it into clear jugs so I see what I'm getting. It ain't pretty ... but the mighty DR ran fine ... no pinging ... even in 100F heat of Southern Baja.
  5. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Yes ... it fits. I think the ED03 is the Bridgestone "Gritty" tire. A really good and tough tire. We used them on long Baja rides. Pretty good ON and OFF road ... but more Off road. Go easy on wet paved corners until you're sure how she sticks ... or doesn't .
  6. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    but still posting for those with winter boredom.
    7k on my 2012 now. This sample taken between 6 and 7k miles.
    [​IMG]
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    From my 07' with close to the same mileage taken in 2011. This was actually 1 quart 10w40 and 1 quart 20w50 Amsoil. Hence the higher Viscos
    [​IMG]
  8. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    I am sitting at a stop light and smoke starts coming out from under the tank! I am just 5 miles from the house so I go when the light changes and it blows away. Then I stop at a few more lights and no smoke. I get it home and shut it off and I don't see where any oil is leaking or anything. But now it won't start. The starter turns it over but it will not run. I really have no idea what to do with it? Should I take the carb apart?
  9. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Pull the seat and tank and check the wiring...
  10. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds electrical......better start looking for burnt wiring. And check for spark, that'll tell you right away if its fuel/carb or electrical related.
  11. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Re: Tires... since this comes up from time to time anyway...

I like the look of the ED03. I'll have to consider that. I was going to do T63's for my next set of off-road tires. But the Kenda in back... I dunno. I run those on my KLX250S, and while they're great tires, I think they wear out waaaay too damn quick for the KLX... I bet they'd be even worse on the much heavier DR.

Rob
  12. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what most of the reviewers on the link to the Kenda said, that they liked the traction, but it wore out too fast. Thats why I won't be running them. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for longer life.
  13. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with my LED aux lighting. The positive wire frayed on the frame and and started smoking. I ended up adding a fuse and replacing all the wires.
  14. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
  15. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't com on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too

Ugh wiring harness 300 bucks really? I think I should take it to a dealer
  16. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Smoke? Under the tank? I've smelled that before. In this case it was from an F650 Dakar. We put it out with our water bottles but not in time to save the bike.

somewhere in Uzbekistan
    [​IMG]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568261&highlight=rocking+chair+2010&page=15

Time to get some help from someone who knows wiring.

..............shu
  17. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
  18. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have there been any wiring modifications to your bike? The dealer will be glad to see you. :deal

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt!!!!! My heart would stop if I saw that mess anywhere near home. But somewhere in Uzbekistan!! :eek1 Bimmers suck. :evil Glad it wasn't on a DR, my nightmares would start tonight. :2cry

I am, however, on shedule to leave for Kalifornia on Friday. :D :clap :freaky
  19. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    "Last" is a relative term. For an Off Road tire they hold up very well. But if you run them at high speed on pavement ... they'll probably be gone in less than 2,000 miles.

I'd bet on the T-63 going further for riding more pavement. But the Gritty is far better performing off road. Guys race on these tires. The real deal ... but not really ideal for pavement. I would consider a Gritty front over the T-63. Fronts don't wear out like a rear ... so a front Gritty will work well until you flat spot it on pavement.
    At that point ... it's junk. The front is the important tire off road ... especially on the heavy DR650.

The Metzelers are Excellent too!

You can't have everything in ONE tire ....
  20. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Shop hourly rate varies ... probably between $65 to $90 per hour. Sorting out burnt out wiring harness is very labor intensive ... especially if they give the job to the young apprentice :lol3.
    I'd guess maybe 8 hours of shop time to re-wire the bike?

You need to find a good friend who likes Beer ... and also knows how to read a wiring harness and use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) It's not so bad for an experienced electrical guy.

If not too many of your wires are burnt ... just go back in and solder in replacement wires. Try to color match and used same gauge wire. Also, you've got to find what the original problem was ... or the same thing will happen again.

Good luck!