Alaska 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jprism, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ajklik

ajklik NS-alaska-NS

Oddometer:
    Ship my Dutch orange tiger1050 end of June to Halifax, pick up some friends in Toronto and then to Anchorage, July 18th approx. Stay there for 2 nights, change tires at Dan's place, and then back to Hailfax.
    Wear your adv decals visible!
    albert
  2. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I'm leaving a few days before you from Boone, NC. June 2, I believe. Probably pass your house around lunch time! You're gonna love this trip. I made it up to Dawson in 2010 and loved it so much,
    I cant wait to go back.

Dave
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    so it sounds like you mean the local Harley dealership wont service the Buell? But I thought that Harley sold Bue......never mind....:D
  4. NightProwler

NightProwler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    plan on leaving ohio on the 29th making way over to montana up through calgary into bannf then to alcan to anchorage and homer back down cassier to glacier np. solo 4 now pm me if interested
  5. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    Sorry but my June 11th departure is written in stone as I have campground reservations in Denali, Jasper/Banff NP and Glacier NP which are hard to get plus I will be doing Jasper/Banff and Glacier on the way home in July. Have a great trip and post some pics when you return

Jim
  6. jprism

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, hope your trip is the best. This is my first time going to Alaska and I just can't wait to see the countryside.
  7. NightProwler

NightProwler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe i`ll see you on the road jim, have a safe trip
  8. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    @NightProwler - how long is the trip (how many days)? I am planning to ride out to Maine in June (even thought about riding out to St. John in Newfoundland), but not sure if that will happen yet so depending on the days, I may be able to swing it.
  9. NightProwler

NightProwler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    planning on 33 days the 29th of june to july 31st
  10. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I won't be able to pull that off; however, good luck with the trip!
  11. babarnette

babarnette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a few trips to Alaska this year. I might be able to squeeze in one more if my wife will let get away for that long. I live pretty close to Nashville so it would be easy for us to meet up. Just be prepared for mosquitos, lots of mosquitos, that are large enough to carry away a small dog. I have to take my wife up there at some point this spring/summer because I'm trying to convince her to make the move. I also promised a buddy that we'd take a motorcycle trip up there this year but don't have any dates planned yet.

I spent the months of August - November 2012 touring AK by motorcycle and didn't see the Northern Lights until October. These were taken October 12th and I was told they were the best they've been in 30-40 years in the Mat-Su valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you click on one of the pictures it should take you to my smugmug gallery for more images.
  12. jprism

Oddometer:
    Hey Brett...Spent a lot of time in Brandon/Jackson area. My former business partner lives there. He owns T. Ables footwear store in the North Park area. Anyway my plans are to leave Nashville on Tuesday June 11th and ride up through Regina, Edmonton, etc to Beaver Creek YT the cross into Alaska to spend 13 days roaming around and then return down BC 37 Cassiar hiway to 16 east over to Jasper/Banff NP then back into the US through Roosville MT to Glacier NP. From Glacier NP head to the house. Hope to do this in 31 days. I have campground reservations in Denali, Jasper/Banff and Glacier so am kind of stuck with these dates. Let me know if you are interested?

Jim Ryan
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Research Salmon Glacier and Telegraph Creek.......both are must see's!!! You will be riding straight past both coming down #37:deal
  14. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Santa Fe , NM on May 15th ... not one mosquito bite the whole trip ..<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/7780879" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7780879">Driven - The Arctic Circle</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user383158">Mundo Bravo</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  15. jprism

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great video...headed that way from Nashville TN on June 11, 2013 wish me luck.
  16. jprism

Oddometer:
    Will do thanks for the gift.
  17. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    :huh Well, consider yourself lucky. Not all ADV'ers are so fortunate, as seen with inmate Jammin in the photo below. :eek1

This is just a baby mosquito. We use the adults to drill for oil. :lol3 Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

[​IMG]
  18. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    LUCK !!!!:clap:clap:clap
  19. BlairBear

BlairBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it in 09 from GA. You may want to post on regional and ask. When I was there, the HD dealer in Anchorage had a grass/yard area that any biker could camp at. It even had a bathroom/shower you could use on the outside of the building with a combination lock. It is a good location to do day trips to Homer and Seward from. You may want to build some time for some maintenance. I hauled a set of tires and had them put on in Edmond Canada, I would normally get 10k out of a set. I only got 5k out of them, those roads ate those tires. I had to get a set in Seatle to get home. That trip was 14k and 26 days, that wasn't enough! I plan on going back in 14 and hit D2D this time.
    Have Fun!
  20. babarnette

babarnette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One other thing, I had a really hard time finding tires for my bike while I was there. I ended up having to have the Harley dealer in Wasilla order a set for me and they were twice as much than getting them on Motorcycle-superstore. Nobody seems to want to ship tires there, and, if they will ship they charge an international shipping fee and it will take a month. I recommend sending a second set ahead of time if you plan on changing tires before you come home. The route I took from Jackson, MS to Palmer, AK was around 4,400 miles then there were all the miles riding in AK. My parents live in Palmer and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you needed to ship a set of tires to their house even if I don't ride with you. Right now I'm still trying to secure funding and convincing the wife to let me go. If I do end up being able to go with you I will definitely be shipping a good set of 50/50 tires to my parents house and will ride up on a set of Avon Distanzia's.