Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Paul and Jill, wishing you the best on your new adventure.
  2. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey Hund,

Hopefully you've got Wednesday covered ... we can't help on Wednesday, but can probably help Thursday ... not sure what your travel plans are ...

We intend to show the Laguna Seca Round of MotoGP at the clubhouse starting at 7 pm on Thursday night ... having been there, you may be interested in seeing it on TV ... :ricky

Anyway, hope to be able to say hey ... otherwise, I'll look forward to reading your ride report! :D

BAARCers and ADVers welcome to watch the roadracing, too!
    -- SFMCjohn
  3. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi BAARC,

This is looking like a go for me ... riding up on Saturday, 7/27, at some point ... from Lower Haight ...

Lake Alpine Camp & DS Ride, July 28-30, 2013

Seems like a nice handful of folks interested ... Catfish says he'll be
    there Sunday through Wednesday ...
    We'll have three or four riders camping out on the
    east end of Alpine Lake on Saturday night ...

Okie-dokie ... see you around the campfire, :ricky
    -- SFMCjohn
  4. Sweatingbull

Sweatingbull Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello.. My name is Alex and I live in Santa Cruz. I contacted Matthias last week when I read his post here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895933

He has been staying with me and my family since last Friday. He rode into town with a few issues on the GS .. cracked frame and a broken rear shock mount. A few phone calls on Saturday we had the frame repaired and later found a M10 bolt at ACE hardware to replace the bolt. Oh and his rear shock is toast too! On Sunday we spent the day at the Motto gp ( a first for both of us). Anyway ....he is still looking for a place to stay in SF. If you know someone who can put him up a night or two send an email or post up here. SFMC John has been in contact and it's looking good for Thursday but he has not had much luck for tonight. He does not have a phone (been on the road 17 months). He has been excited by the help and support found on this site!We have enjoyed his company and look forward to hearing more from the road! We will be having breakfast in Davenport and then riding up hwy one. I will see him off in Half Moon Bay....Thanks...
    Alex
    ps...don't fear the beard!
    A real sweetheart!
  5. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone planning to do the Ride Reno 200 in September? I'm thinking about signing up but would be hitting it solo, which I would rather not do. Just trying to see if there are any other solo guys wanting someone to ride it with or anyone who is cool with me tagging along.

All my riding buddies ride sport touring bikes, so I'm trying to make some friends in the Adventure department.

[​IMG]
  6. Chazzard

Chazzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Find anyone yet? I'll do it with you.. I've been looking forward to this for years. I made it through the LAB2V last year without getting lost.. 200 miles sounds like it'd be a fun day of kicking around.

I don't have a regular riding buddies, their all chasing girls and nesting or they don't race off road or ride dual sport..

7. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds very, very tempting... I have never gone but looks awesome! I will see if i can get work off! :freaky
  8. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for your input on roads to take. Browneye and I invaded, took some pictures, ate some good food. Missed Alice's, bad timing. We met some nice people and yes we did have to deal with some cagers. :cry

The maps are book marked for future adventures!
  9. L.A. Don

L.A. Don Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all! I am staying in San Francisco for a few weeks and looking for ride suggestions... mostly interested in day trip stuff. Any suggestions on fun twisty and scenic roads would be appreciated!
  10. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Reno area riding is awesome and I would go but I hate rollchart rides. I am GPS all the way now days
  11. hardpackrider

hardpackrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    couple suggestions..

From SF... take hwy 280 south, to 92 west, to Skyline south.. to Alice's Restaurant, (Saturday 10 am hundred bikes there.). then south on skyline to hwy 9 south.. take to Santa Cruz.. Then back.. :-)

I am out n east bay, (so you'd gave to take 580 towards Livermore out of SF...but Mines Road is my favorite ride... (North Livermore road South off if 580...) make your way towards Lake Del Valle Regional Park, but turn left on Mines road befor you get there.. and great place Called the Junction..after 45min of beautiful roads.. meet the old husband/wife owners.. have a hamburger or pulled pork sandwich.. (and a cold beer if you dare..).. then on to Mt. Hamilton.. over the top.. (be careful tight turns and steep drops..), then down to 680... to get back to SF..

Fwy's blow around here, I'd suggest getting out at dawn, and getting out of town..

enjoy, be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. L.A. Don

L.A. Don Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hardpack!
  13. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    I'm in the east bay area and I'm somewhat tired of our limited roads. (Mines to Hamilton, Morgan Territory rd, Calaveras rd to Felton rd, are all worth doing)

I'd be looking at Google maps for ideas on south and north bay rides and trying to find roads like Soquel San Jose to Summit, Big Basin, and Skyline simply because it's got a few M/C folk gathering spots.(South) and if you head north there are some great M/C roads all over the Marin area including Mt. Tamalpias (Panamatic Hwy) Bolinas (Bolinas Fairfax rd) and that whole area for that matter.

But then that's just what I think and what I'd do. :evil
  14. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    :huh

I've been riding Mines and Calaveras for around 15 years and still see them as a challenge every time- but I can understand running out to the Junction and back getting old. If you head on out to Patterson or up and over Hamilton, there are another hundred or more miles of prime twisties. And if you go up and over Hamilton, that is a great segway over to the multitude of offerings on the Peninsula or south to Hollister and Airline and all that.

I can't stand the north bay but must concede there certainly are some nice roads up there. However you have to do them at insanely off hours to avoid deputy dog or the parade of moron cagers.
  15. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    I agree with both points.

Perhaps my reluctance to promote Mines Rd. comes from not only traveling that road since before I could drive (To get to the snow and friends lived up there.) but it includes the knowledge that most of the ranchers up there willingly hog the lane with the understanding that their ranch trucks are much bigger than any bike they'll encounter. And the knowledge that my boss (Who built the big bridge at ~mile 15) has replaced his fence and picked up bike parts more times than he can count.

The christening:

[​IMG]
  16. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it said its GPS tracked as well. So you will be able to do that I believe.
  17. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey BARRC,

Here's another dual-sport event, August 10-11, 2013, in Long Barn, on Hwy 108, easy-to-get-to-from-San-Francisco ... :ricky

Here's the Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/147536688765499/

Bungee Brent sez there'll be a great band there on Saturday Night ... :deal

see you there,
    -- SFMCjohn

[​IMG]
  18. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Off to Lake Alpine ... Coffee first this morning at the Mercury Cafe, Octavia and Page ...

See you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  19. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that little place! I stop in there sometimes when I walk from the Fisherman's Wharf to Market and Octavia to meet Eric after work.

Have a great time and take lots of photos :D

WoodsChick
  20. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey WC!
    How funny it would have been to see you guys there! :ricky

We're having fun ...

[​IMG]

Best to Eric!

See you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn