Light Duty Diesel Pickups

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by DakarNick, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great news. I've been thinking about selling my 2500HD Duramax for something smaller and this would fit the bill perfectly.

Diesels rock!!!

SP
  2. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow...with the Nissan, Dodge, and GM products FINALLY putting a diesel into 1/2 ton trucks, maybe I will be in the market in the next couple of years. I think this is great news!

Ford? are you out there???
  3. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would Ford want to produce a small diesel? They've got their EcoBoost V6 that's generating diesel like power.
  4. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I know, different strokes and all that, but I don't understand the draw. Honest question, what draws you to a 1/2 ton truck with a small diesel?
  5. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The draw for me?

Torque per unit displacement and consistently good mileage regardless of conditions.

Simple.
  6. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    GM is a mid-size, not a half ton. Although the mid-size is about what a half ton was not too long ago.
  7. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    The colorado/canyon or whatever they will be called are still considered 1/4 ton trucks.
  8. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see the Chevrolet Montana here with a 2L turbodiesel and optional 4WD. They're listed with a 2,000# payload in Brazil with a 1.4L gasser and FWD. Figure they oughta be able to do 2,000 in the bed and 3500 on the drawbar with a diesel (and the right transmission), while knocking down 35mpg when empty.
  9. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems unlikely, since some models are rated to tow 6,000#. The online owner's manual doesn't list payload, because they say that it's unit-specific and must be read from the placard on the door jamb. An example of a 1/4-ton truck is a WWII-era Jeep.
  10. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Payload and vehicle weight don't classify the truck. 1/2 ton trucks can tow over 5 tons. 1 ton trucks are up to 15 tons. The payload of a 1/2 ton F-150 ranges from 3/4 ton to 1.5 ton.

They are just model segment designators now. Although I haven't heard anyone call them a 1/4 ton truck in a long time. I only hear 'compact' or 'mid-sized'.
  11. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

the brodozers are out of control around here. Just when I thought nothing could be more annoying than ricers...
  12. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the ecoboost...but its a very complex motor and not without its critics. I've read a few issues with them. A diesel however is simpler and I like simple. Compression ignition removes all bs associated with plugs, wires, etc...more robust bocks and internals should mean longer life and yes, the mileage is a lot better especially now the gas has gotten more expensive.
  13. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
  14. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Don't get all lovey-dovey so soon, Jurgen.:lol3

There was a lot to dis-like about the current generation Colorado.
  15. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I deal with that everyday. I drive a 2005 4cylinder 5speed hand crank window Canyon. Trust me I know all abiut the cost savings in the build. :lol3

But... not to jinx myself, at 108000 all me miles, it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned.
  16. cirrus365

cirrus365 beaned

Oddometer:
    I would disagree on the complexity point. You are comparing to the diesel from the olden days. Modern diesel emission control is very complex and HPFP and common rail injection is not a cheap fix either if you have a failure out of warranty ($10k+). I think the direct injection turbo gas motors have a place in the future of truck motors. Complimented by diesel. I hope.
  17. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    my wife put a 100,000 miles on a 2wd Colorado
    she loved it
    but it was a cheap truck
  18. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    EGRs are complex no doubt but now that the Europeans are using the same stds as the US there can and will be a lot more tech available. And remember that Benz has been meeting the new regs using urea solutions. Injector pump replacement has always been expensive that's nothing new. A lot of these arguments sound very similar to the battery concerns in hybrids. People talking about the dreaded 5k new battery packs. Now there are rebuilders sprouting up selling packs for 1500.

Funny thing about another post re ford are you listening asking why they should bother when they have the ecoboost. Well...look at the upcoming transit...both the ecoboost AND their new diesel will be offered. So they obviously think someone wants choice.
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  20. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Did you note the 57k price? Sheesh.